Who says don't tune your VE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who says don't tune your VE?

Warning: This is sloppy and without evidence for you guys to see yet.

So after reading in many places that it's a waste of time to tune the VE table, I've come to disagree. I tested stock vs a somewhat tuned VE table and the differences are bitter sweet.

With a somewhat tuned VE table.. Wow. You can really feel the power differences. I had somewhere around a 6 second 0-60 with about 80% Throttle position. Apparently the sandles I was wearing were a bit deceiving about how far down I was pressing the pedal.
    I didn't test the stock VE table 0-60 since it wasn't on there very long but honestly, I imagine it to be 8+ seconds. It got loud, but it just didn't go.

That was the sweet part.

The bitter part is the fuel trims. I could get them closer to 0 with the stock VE table, but with the tuned VE table.. They were apparently around -6

I'm not good at tuning. This is a long hard process and I'm pretty sure my wideband is inaccurate which makes this even worse.

Either way, I'm going faster with next to 0 knock on my VE table.

And why can I not get any help on the HP tuners forum? I'm about to start posting in the v8 section since no one can answer my questions in the appropriate threads.

Whatever, I want some discussion on this so maybe I can learn something.

TEAM C6V6

Re: Who says don't tune your VE?

I have never messed with VE tunning since I tune my car a diffferent way to do fuel trims. I use the injector table to get my -4 to +4 fuel trims sometimes it is 0. It does take awhile since I have to write down how far apart to the cells are like 32.34 and 32.85 and try to find the magic # between cells. Once done though it is outstanding. Mines throwing a -8 now and then so I have to go in and change a cell either like .30 or .10 depending on the area of throttle I'm in. I don't know thats just how I always started doing it , never messed with the maf only for idle with the powerdyne. I like tuning the injectors in since there the ones pumping the fuel. But I would recoomend people follow the tuning guides since I have been doing my way for 7 years. Congrats on your VE tuning though, whatever works for you.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      I have never messed with VE tunning since I tune my car a diffferent way to do fuel trims. I use the injector table to get my -4 to +4 fuel trims sometimes it is 0. It does take awhile since I have to write down how far apart to the cells are like 32.34 and 32.85 and try to find the magic # between cells. Once done though it is outstanding. Mines throwing a -8 now and then so I have to go in and change a cell either like .30 or .10 depending on the area of throttle I'm in. I don't know thats just how I always started doing it , never messed with the maf only for idle with the powerdyne. I like tuning the injectors in since there the ones pumping the fuel. But I would recoomend people follow the tuning guides since I have been doing my way for 7 years. Congrats on your VE tuning though, whatever works for you.
      It's an amazing difference. You know what.. We should get you to try it out. You might like the difference. I betcha can go faster. :D

I was tuning the MAF forever, same results time after time. Flashed in a stock VE table for ****s'n giggles after reading a few posts on HP tuners forum. Retuned the MAF for the stock VE table.. Same ltft's. There's no way I'm going back to a stock VE table.

Viper's write up on tuning needs a few updates.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i noticed the car was faster when I started on my VE table as well...but mine is back to stock for now...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I don't think I can run VE on a 97' PCM, to run VE you unplug the maf right? Then run with the map senor?
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

There is a long post about VE tuning the 3800's on the hptuners board. Bill (HPT employee that answers most of the questions) took and Zeroed out the VE table on his 3800 GP. He did not see a difference in drive ability or performance. There are others that say it makes a difference. If your MAF ever fails, and you have lots of mods, you will need a tuned VE for the car to run. That alone is reason enough for me to tune it. Much cheaper to tune it then have it towed home.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
              There is a long post about VE tuning the 3800's on the hptuners board. Bill (HPT employee that answers most of the questions) took and Zeroed out the VE table on his 3800 GP. He did not see a difference in drive ability or performance. There are others that say it makes a difference. If your MAF ever fails, and you have lots of mods, you will need a tuned VE for the car to run. That alone is reason enough for me to tune it. Much cheaper to tune it then have it towed home.
              Thanks.

Comment

well, I know when I started tunning for the cam, before I even touched the maf calibrations table, I was tuning the VE table...and I felt a noticiable difference when doing it...and that was with my maf sensor still plugged in... I put it back to stock though when I tunned the maf calibration...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                  I must really suck at searching threads because I've looked that damn website up and down with hardly any luck. I read through the help files last night a little closer and since I've been tuning a lot more I really understood everything better.

There has to be some year/model specific differences to differentiate between which cars are affected by VE tuning. Why does it seem that no one has looked into this yet?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

While the 3800 V6 had everything to do with HPT development, It is no longer a priority for them. LS X, ford and Chrysler are the bread and butter for them now.

I would link you to that thread, But I just remember reading almost a year ago.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah.. I feel very behind on everything. However, I paid as much for my copy of HP tuners as anyone else did. Maybe I should ask for some sort of partial refund for lack of support. I wouldn't really expect anything back but I'd just do it to be an *******.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Bill is normally pretty good about answering questions over there, but as far as getting any more tables to tune.... we're just not going to see it. The truck V6 and the LS X have about twice the tables we have.
                        sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X