does the factory y-pipe consist of a pipe within a pipe? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does the factory y-pipe consist of a pipe within a pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the factory y-pipe consist of a pipe within a pipe?

long story short, ive got a bad rattle coming from what sounds like exhaust pipe.

no, its not the cat. definitely not seeing how it got "stolen"... yeah...

no, its not the pipe rattling on the crossmember. that issue was taken care of quite a while ago with the help of a 2 post lift and a 12lb slide hammer. plenty of clearance.

ive been told the factory piping from the manifolds to the actual "y" is a pipe within a pipe, and that the welds may have failed letting the inner pipe rattle around inside the outer.

this is progressively getting worse and i have the means to fix it, but i dont want to go cutting/drilling/welding without knowing exactly what lurks in those pipes. suggestions?
    foggy headlights? wetsand... buff... WAX!!!
    if nissan motorsports is nismo does that mean honda motorsports is homo?

Re: does the factory y-pipe consist of a pipe within a pipe?

get headers and a y-pipe from CIA or something. that'll make you happy :D

1999 Firebird Y87/W68

Comment

for a portion of the y pipe closer to the manifolds there is "a pipe within a pipe"
      1999 Camaro Z/28
      1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

First thing I would check is all the heat shields. I ditched my cat thinking it was causing my annoying rattling, but it turned out to be the heat shield attached to the exhaust pipe after the cat.
        Is your exhaust otherwise stock?
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroJeff™
          ive been told the factory piping from the manifolds to the actual "y" is a pipe within a pipe, and that the welds may have failed letting the inner pipe rattle around inside the outer.
          If that were the case, you'd have an exhaust leak as well. You made no mention of one, thus that is not the problem. Check your heat sheilds near the y-pipe, like the others said

Comment

i appreciate the responses. ive checked the heat shields and they dont seem to be the culprit. ive pinned every one up and down with a pry bar (they actually didnt move at all) and the noise hasnt changed. it has, however, gotten worse lately.

exhaust is stock with the exception of a flowmaster 80 series muffler with tips and a "test pipe" in place of the "stolen" cat.

i really dont justify the cost and time to install a set of headers and y-pipe just to get rid of the rattle. im not really looking for performance from a v6... ive had too many v8s to know better ;)

if i knew for sure it is a pipe within a pipe i could cut it open, re weld it, and weld it shut. thats not a problem, id just like to know what im dealing with.

again, the help is appreciated.

Comment

Yes, the Y-pipe has a "a pipe within a pipe". Mine came loose and rattled. It is in the cross-over from the left side to the right. We cut into the outer pipe and then welded the inner to the outer, sealing the hole.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
                for a portion of the y pipe closer to the manifolds there is "a pipe within a pipe"
                Is that for pre-2000 cars? I don't think the y-pipe for my tubulars had another pipe inside.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
                  Yes, the Y-pipe has a "a pipe within a pipe". Mine came loose and rattled. It is in the cross-over from the left side to the right. We cut into the outer pipe and then welded the inner to the outer, sealing the hole.
                  i believe thats the exact answer im looking for. i can fix it if i have an insight as to what im doing. its getting so bad lately i dont even want to go through a drive thru anymore :(

now, if i can get the boss to get his duster off the lift...

Comment

Originally posted by IDoVoodoo
                    Is that for pre-2000 cars? I don't think the y-pipe for my tubulars had another pipe inside.
                    possibly

i just had a 99 Y apart a week ago

and also i know 97's and 96's are this way as well

along with LT1s also have two pipes in places
                    1999 Camaro Z/28
                    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=87862
                      2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

this is all very interesting, seems i have the same type o situation
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I have a 01 firebird v6 and a noobie, I know this is an old thread, buy after reading this forum I was able to fix my exhaust rattle. This rattle was the worst on cold start up but mellowed after warm. Thinking all along it was just my cat, I finally had it replaced with a univ. one and the rattle was still there. I found out about the pipe in a pipe and decided I could temp fix this. I bought some stainless self drilling screws, drilled a pilot hole in each outer tube right before the collector and ran the self drill screw into the inner pipe, therefore secureing it. Finally no more rattle!
                          Hope this helps someone else stop an annoying rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by bazaz View Post
                            I have a 01 firebird v6 and a noobie, I know this is an old thread, buy after reading this forum I was able to fix my exhaust rattle. This rattle was the worst on cold start up but mellowed after warm. Thinking all along it was just my cat, I finally had it replaced with a univ. one and the rattle was still there. I found out about the pipe in a pipe and decided I could temp fix this. I bought some stainless self drilling screws, drilled a pilot hole in each outer tube right before the collector and ran the self drill screw into the inner pipe, therefore secureing it. Finally no more rattle!
                            Hope this helps someone else stop an annoying rattle.

Best first post I've ever seen :tup:

Did you consider putting some RTV around the screw to prevent the possibility of an exhaust leak? I think I'll do this monday, cause my rattle is just driving me nuts and i'd try anything
                            2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

thats pretty genius. I've got a rattle, but can't tell exactly where its coming from. Happens on cold starts too.

Props! I'll have to check it out now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X