93-02 ECM Compatibility / Interchangeability - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93-02 ECM Compatibility / Interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93-02 ECM Compatibility / Interchangeability

Had a friend look up a part number for my 94 3.4 Fbody computer.

Interestingly, the same part number also shows up for 94-95 3.1 Wbody (Lumina, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix) and 3.1 Lbody (Beretta, Corsica)

I'm looking for a cheap, second ECM to send off to Fastchip for flashing so I can still use my car. If the hardware is the same, and it's flashed for a Fbody 3.4 then it should work in my car, correct?

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this with a W or L body computer. They're easier to find in the salvage yards.

[ November 05, 2004, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: FunkZ ]
    1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Heh, okay here's a laugh.

I bought an ECM from a 94 Corsica 3.1 for $20. I thought it would at least need flashed before I could use it, but for ****s and giggles I hooked it up to my car's harness and fired it up. It runs! and I don't mean runs barely or poorly... it runs perfect! There is no hesitation, no SES, perfect idle, etc. straight out of a junkyard Corsica! :D

Here's the list I've compiled: (updated for ODB-II)

Service numbers are printed on the ECM housing.
    Look for a white label with bar codes. Serv. No. is at the top.

93 Fbody
    Service #
    93 3.4 Firebird, Camaro
    93 3.1 Grand Prix AT 4-speed
    93 3.1 Cutlass AT 4-speed (California)
    93 3.1 Lumina
    93 3.1 Regal AT (California)

94-95 Fbody
    MT 5-speed
    Service #
    94-95 3.4 Firebird, Camaro MT 5-speed
    94-95 3.1 Grand Am, Grand Prix
    94-95 3.1 Achieva, Cutlass
    94-95 3.1 Beretta, Corsica
    95 3.1 Lumina, Monte Carlo
    94-95 3.1 Regal, Skylark

94-95 Fbody
    AT 4-speed
    Service #
    94-95 3.4 Firebird, Camaro AT 4-speed

95-96 Fbody
    Service #
    95-96 3.8 Firebird, Camaro

97 Fbody
    Service #
    97 3.8 Firebird, Camaro
    97 3.4 Monte Carlo
    97 3.8 Park Ave, Regal, Riviera
    97 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix w/SC

98 Fbody
    Service #
    98 3.8 Firebird, Camaro
    98 3.1 Lumina, Malibu
    98 3.8 Lumina, Monte Carlo
    98 3.1 Century, Skylark
    98 3.8 Electra, LeSabre, Park Ave
    98 3.8 Regal, Riviera
    98 3.1 Achieva, Cutlass
    98 3.8 Intrigue
    98 3.4 Silhouette
    98 3.1 Grand Am, Grand Prix
    98 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix
    98 3.4 Transport

99 Fbody
    Service #
    99 3.8 Firebird, Camaro

There was some discrepency with some of the '99 PCM's being mislabled with an ETC service number. From information supplied by other '99 owners I'd say your safest bet is to stick with your original PCM rather than trying to find one that will work.

00-02 Fbody
    Service #
    00-02 3.8 Firebird, Camaro
    00-01 3.8 Impala, Monte Carlo
    00 3.1 Lumina, Century
    00 3.8 Park Ave, Regal
    00 3.4 Alero, Silhouette
    00 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix
    00-02 3.4 Grand Am, Montana
    00 3.1 Grand Prix

01-02 Fbody
    Service #
    01-02 3.8 Firebird, Camaro
    01-02 3.8 Impala, Monte Carlo
    01 3.1 Lumina
    01-02 3.8 LeSabre, Park Ave, Regal
    01-02 3.8 Bonneville, Grand Prix
    01 3.4 Grand Am

The service number indicates the hardware itself used in the vehicle. There is also a calibration number that refers to the actual programming in the computer. You can check the calibration history here.

Check your service code on the 93's as some of those 3.1 cars it lists two different codes, probably the computers were changed out mid-year.

Also, on the matter of 93 prom/flash debate too... there is no prom in a 93 3.4 Fbody computer, it's flash only. However the following cars show service code 16149396 which is a removable prom computer:
    91-93 3.4 Grand Prix
    91-93 3.4 Cutlass
    93 3.1 Cutlass AT 4-speed
    91-93 3.4 Lumina
    93 3.1 Lumina
    93 3.1 Regal AT (Non-California)

So it might be worth a shot to try one of the computers from any of those cars on a 93 3.4 Fbody and see if it runs, again as the non-Fbody cars had computers switched out mid-year.

[ December 24, 2004, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: FunkZ ]
    Last edited by FunkZ; 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM.
    1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:

So (going by the service code) the following car computers should be completely interchangable:
      94-95 3.4 Firebird, Camaro MT 5-speed
      94-95 3.1 Regal, Skylark, Somerset
      Are you talking about the PCM or the ECM(control module)? and what you are saying is for example a 94' computer would be interchangeable w/ a 95' pcm and the several other cars listed?
      ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac nino:
        Are you talking about the PCM or the ECM(control module)?
        Yes. ;) ECM (Electronic Control Module) PCM (Powertrain Control Module) ECC (Engine Control Computer) or just "computer" are all terms that usually refer to the same thing. I'm talking about the metal-encased box that is stuffed under the cowl behind the passenger-side strut tower.

All of those year/make/models listed (for 94-95) share the same exact part number for the computer.

I thought that even if the hardware is identical, the flash programming (software) would differ between those models. But I nearly soiled my pants when I put that Corsica computer in my car and it fired right up and drove perfectly. My friend and I couldn't stop laughing about it tonight. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

I assume that the 94-95 autos have a different part number because of the 4L60E and the computer controls the trans, whereas the 93 auto had the non-electric vacuum-controlled 4L60 so it shares the same computer as the 93 manual.

Comment

woot! thats pretty damn sweet! :D
          ok so on more question lol.......

94-95 3.1 Regal, Skylark, Somerset
          Does it matter whether these cars are auto or manual for them to work, I mean the corsica you removed it from, it was a auto was it not? and its compatable w/ a manual?

Comment

The only cars that made a difference whether it was manual or auto I noted with MT or AT on the list.

Yes, the Corsica was an auto but it makes no difference on any of those 94-95 except the Fbody has to be manual. The 94-95 auto Fbody has a different part number, probably due to the electronic trans.

&lt;edit&gt; Pull your computer out (2 10mm bolts) and look on the back at the large white sticker. At the top above the bar code should say, Serv. No. 16196397

[ November 02, 2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: FunkZ ]

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info man! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

NP, glad to share! I've been looking for a spare computer for my car for awhile now and a 94-95 Fbody 3.4 manual is nearly impossible to find. With all those computers being interchangable however I had several to choose from at the junkyard.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:

93 3.4 are a different service code, 16172693, but are the same between manual and auto. These match up with a smaller number of cars:
                  93 3.4 Firebird, Camaro
                  93 3.1 Cutlass AT 4-speed (California)
                  93 3.1 Lumina
                  93 3.1 Regal AT (California)

Check your service code on the 93's as some of those 3.1 cars it lists two different codes, probably the computers were changed out mid-year.

Also, on the matter of 93 prom/flash debate too... there is no prom in a 93 3.4 Fbody computer, it's flash only. However the following cars show service code 16149396 which is a removable prom computer:
                  91-93 3.4 Grand Prix
                  91-93 3.4 Cutlass
                  93 3.1 Cutlass AT 4-speed
                  91-93 3.4 Lumina
                  93 3.1 Lumina
                  93 3.1 Regal AT (Non-California)

So it might be worth a shot to try one of the computers from any of those cars on a 93 3.4 Fbody and see if it runs, again as the non-Fbody cars had computers switched out mid-year.
                  That's not true. They may have the same service number but the code is different between the autos and manuals. There should be codes listed with the service numbers and these codes are different between manuals and autos. If these computers are swapped, the cars may run but they will not run right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerriko:
                    That's not true. They may have the same service number but the code is different between the autos and manuals. There should be codes listed with the service numbers and these codes are different between manuals and autos. If these computers are swapped, the cars may run but they will not run right.
                    Hrm, well a 94 Corsica 3.1 Automatic PCM runs my 94 Firebird 3.4 Manual just fine.

Possibly going the other way (manual PCM in an auto car) with electronic shift transmissions would have a problem.

The reason I put this list together though is so that people out to find a spare, cheap PCM to have reprogrammed have a much wider range of cars to look for at a salvage yard. I'm not saying for people to use a PCM with Montana flash in the car just to see what happens. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ November 05, 2004, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: FunkZ ]

Comment

thanks for providing the list.
                      Ive run an A/T and M/T PCM in my 94 3.4 swap and both run just fine. The A/T PCM does set codes for some missing tranny sensors but still runs OK.
                      See my new topic 3.4 driveability prob for more details

Comment

Re: 93-02 ECM Compatibility / Interchangeability

What's the issue with putting a 98 PCM into a 96/97 Camaro? The only difference I know of is the one o2 in the y-pipe no longer being used. Is the PCM pinout different because of this?

I know the MAF changed in 99+ but I have a 98 PCM here I'd like to use if possible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to get another phone
                          by ssms5411
                          Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                          1 week ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Leaking front cover
                          by ssms5411
                          So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • transamtom1
                          Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                          by transamtom1
                          Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                          3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X