• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake gasket

hi,

I was reading something on the internet about the reliable 3.8V6 engine,

http://montecarloforum.com/forum/gen...c-buick-26769/

The only thing i was wondering, there are a few possible problems with these 3.8V6 engines.

They are talking about an plastic intake gasket witch will cause coolant leaking, which can be solved bij a revised OEM gasket (service call 2004)

I have a 2001 3.8V6 Camaro, do they have this issue too, or is it just with an Monte Carlo ?

Re: Intake gasket

I had a bad intake gasket and even after it was replaced, the car overheated I threw a rod and had to get a used engine. I have a 2000 3.8. I had 115K miles.

Comment

The new ones out are alm. and suppose to be alot better.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yours has the plastic gaskets. The aluminum ones are the problem solver gaskets and are better construction. If you aren't leaking right now, don't worry about it. But you could buy the gaskets ahead of time and replace them once the problem pops up. Be sure to use some teflon paste on the intake bolts so you don't have seepage and use the black RTV/Silicone on the corners really well where the LIM gaskets meet the valley gasket.

Part number is: MS 98014 T by Fel Pro

They look like this installed:

Comment

hi Warshrike,

Thanks for the info, is this a common problem for this engine, and will every 3.8V6 have to deal with this problem ?

In the Netherlands (where i live) we don't have much Camaro's, and the problem with these gaskets never showed up on the Dutch Car Forums.

I replace the DEXcool every 2 years, and the fluid (what comes out) is nice and clear, and i don't had to add fluid in the system.
          Hopely i don't get this problem.
          Last edited by pv-camaro; 01-13-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I'm sure you'll be fine , just don't over heat.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
              Yours has the plastic gaskets. The aluminum ones are the problem solver gaskets and are better construction. If you aren't leaking right now, don't worry about it. But you could buy the gaskets ahead of time and replace them once the problem pops up. Be sure to use some teflon paste on the intake bolts so you don't have seepage and use the black RTV/Silicone on the corners really well where the LIM gaskets meet the valley gasket.

Part number is: MS 98014 T by Fel Pro
              http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/100_0992.jpg

They look like this installed:
              http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d/100_0993.jpg
              I'm about to tackle replacing the LIM gasket in my car and this is just what I've been looking for. As far as UIM and valve covers, are generic Fel-Pro gaskets fine or is there a specific recommendation for those?
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Fel Pro is fine for UIM and valve covers its what went in mine last year,

Comment

Yup, those will be fine. If you don't have any coolant leak issues right now, don't mess with it. It can be hard for the novice to get the engine to seal up as good as it came from the factory.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                    Yup, those will be fine. If you don't have any coolant leak issues right now, don't mess with it. It can be hard for the novice to get the engine to seal up as good as it came from the factory.
                    I wasn't as lucky as the OP. My coolant is slowly accumulating an oil mixture. So I'll be pulling it apart soon.

I'm trying to keep a cautious mind on this, but it looks a lot easier than my next task: pulling the heads on my z car. Overhead cam nonsense and such.

Any other tips to help prevent leaks?
                    Last edited by pace2006; 01-14-2012, 10:00 PM.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Pace, teflon paste on the bolt threads for the intake and torque the bolts in the required sequence and put a little extra rtv/silicone on the corners of the gaskets where they join on the LIM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X