mail order tune for 96 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mail order tune for 96 cars?

Is this something that definetly needs done? Can any Chevy dealer do it? I remember calling up the dealer i used to go to when my car needed fixed and asked him about flashing a PCM for something, can remember exactly what and he looked at me like i was stupid or something.
    96 Polo Green Camaro<br /><br />Slp Cai,Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back,Catco cat,3.42 Posi rear, KMC Floss Rims 275/45/17 rear 235/45 front

Comment

do you guys know what a case learn does? or do you just know that you "need" one when you install a new pcm? elaborate on why some need it and some dont.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

The crankshaft position system variation values are stored in the PCM non-volatile memory after a learn procedure has been performed. DTC P1336 set indicates that the crankshaft position system variation values have not been stored in the PCM and the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure must be performed. The learn procedure is required after the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether or not DTC P1336 is set:
        - PCM replacement.
        - Engine replacement.
        - Crankshaft replacement.
        - Crankshaft balancer replacement.
        - Crankshaft position sensor replacement.
        - Any engine repairs which disturbs crankshaft/harmonic balancer to crankshaft position sensor relationship.

If its the same physical PCM in your car that was flashed, if its the first time and it is a COMPLETE flash... do the case relearn. If its a partial write, there is no need to do it.

If its a new PCM... do it once, the first time only. A COMPLETE flash under these cases is mandatory anyways, as will be the case relearn right afterwards.

If you have 2 PCMs (stock and a test or play PCM), you can switch back and forth as long as you follow the guidelines above WITHOUT having the need to do another case relearn procedure more than once per PCM. That means if you did not want to touch your original PCM (and it has the proper info in the memory already) and you have a new PCM, the new PCM is case learned once, and you can swap PCMs ad nauseum without ever having the need to do another one again... unless one of the above stated conditions changes.

hope this clears the air....
        and dealers can do it but most will just look at you funny unless you are actually talking to a tech who understands what this does. dealers usually charge 1 hr minimun to do it.

Comment

i checked with alvin over at pcmforless, hes the head tuner there, and he said for the 97s, it doesnt need to be done, however he said it is usually a 1 in 20 chance that you will have to. I read that in the 97 pcms, that the data is stored in the knock sensor as well. I can contest that i have not had any problems with mine yet. this is no bash to ivemy3100, you deal with pcms and seem very knowledgeable about this. i didn't know what a case learn was until you said anything about it and i had to read up and ask about it.
          Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

1. i really dont know why this "alvin" guy thinks there is a diff in years but there isnt...also I wouldnt trust a guy who doesnt think you should do a case learn after pcm replacement....(just my opinion)

2. I would say the whole 1 in 20 thing is refering to how many set off check engine lights not how many need it done.

3. knock sensors do not store info they transmit it to the pcm for it to be stored

4. I wouldnt buy pcms from a company that says nothing to its customers about the fact that a case learn is needed (again just my opinion)

5. PLEASE REFER TO BOLD PRINT IN PREVIOUS POST.

this is not a bash on anyone either i just want people to know the facts.

hope this helps
            Last edited by lvemy3100; 04-24-2006, 06:47 PM.

Comment

thanks for clearing that up

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
              Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

if there is not a difference in years, why cant a 96 be programmed? why is a 97 pcm the only option? The 98+ pcms cannot be used on 96-97. So obviously there is a difference.

This is Alvin's statement on their webpage, about his knowledge on pcms. http://www.pcmforless.com

I worked with a Chevrolet Dealership where I met some extremely gifted GM techs who race themselves. After spending hours reading GM service manuals, sharing knowledge with the techs, and playing with GM's Tech 2 scan tool I became inspired to tune my own car. Eventually I began tuning other cars and trucks and have really become quite successful. - Alvin

I know anyone can say what they want whether it is true or not, but his track record really does speak for itself with the success he and the company have had. He must be doing something right?

A person asked a similar question about the case learn on one of their forums and this is what the other tech said about it. http://pcmforless.com/index.php?opti...d=2&id=677#677

I personally wouldn't spend 60-70$ for a job that is done in 10seconds like you said. That right there is half of what the tune cost! I havn't had the slightest hint of a problem with mine.

Haha go to the their website, Mario Andretti seems to beleive Alvin did a good job on his corvette.
                Last edited by Harrison; 04-24-2006, 08:23 PM.
                Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

i was only refering to the fact that the way the case learn is treated by the pcm in diff years is not diff. the pcms themselves are diff but not about how the info is treated.

imo...the only reason i can see someone saying that you dont need a case learn done is because they are trying to sell the tune and dont care about their customers... obviously if everyone knew that they had to spend more money after they bought the tune they would be pissed off and probably not buy it or at least hold off on it... this means less money for pcmforless so they figure to tell only those (1in20) who install the tune, throw code and actually contact pcmforless, that they actually need to have this done. otherwise they leave you in the dark portentially cause harm to the vehicle???

I charge $80 for a generic tune and do the case learn for free.... EVERYTIME!!! thing is i dont sell pcm's through the net i do in person tuning which allows me to provide my customers with the case learn instead of sending them to a dealer.

I'm not gonna argue about this i just wanted the facts to be there for all to read...

all opinions are labled as such
                  Last edited by lvemy3100; 04-25-2006, 09:46 AM.

Comment

You make a valid point, and i feel ya on that. I will get it done eventually. Im gonna check out a few dealerships and see who knows what im talking about and see if i can argue with them that its a 1 minute job that doesnt cost 70$. Can any dealership do it besides a GM? I got a buddy at a dodge dealership. Would most car dealerships have the tech2 tool to do it, regardless if it is a GM or not, or is it only GM specific tool that they can use on a gm car?

Comment

I really dont think that other dealers can do it unless they have a tech2 but other than that i really dont know.... unless you know someone who owns a dhp tuner that is local to you.

if you find someone that has one, even though it wont be able to tune your car, it should still be able to do the case learn for you... check on some gp forums as they mainly own the dhp tuners.

I dont know if hpt gives you this ability but if they do then i would think it should work the same if you found someone with one of those...not sure.

the main reason i cant help much with this issue is cause i dont have it since i can do it myself so i'm never looking for other places to do it... sorry.

just make sure that the dealer doesnt flash your car while they have it hooked to the tech2... you just want the CL

Comment

yeah, thats something i am a little weary about. Get some inexperienced tech trying to do something with my pcm and flashes it and wastes my tune, haha and on top of that, charge me their hourly rate. i would flip $hit!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X