bought a cam kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought a cam kit

hey guys, just wanted to let you know that i just bought the comp 260H cam kit and i'm pretty excited about it.

i may have thread or two pertaining to the install but not until closer to the install date in the spring.

hope u guys can help me out like u did with the roller rockers ( now that i've taken it down to the heads a couple times already i won't be nit picking at stupid stuff like last time)

anyhow, thought i'd let ya know.

i plan on going with stock injectors with a holley afpr, possibly a 255 walhbro fuel pump just for the hell of it, new water pump and of course the comp cam kit.

i do have a question however, i hope you would not mind sharing your opinions on.

it is this.

while it is possible for me to do this whole install without removing the heads, given the fact that i already have headers and stage 8 bolts, would you suggest i remove the heads, simply for the sake of putting in new head gaskets, getting them remanned at a shop, and for the convenience of being able to install all the new drivetrain components out of the car instead of in them?

to me it makes sense, but i really dislike having to take the headers off, they seem like a PITA to put back on, but then again when they were put on, there was not half as much out of the engine bay, so i'd imagine it would be MUCH easier.

also, what wouldit cost for a shop to reman my stock heads, maybe even shave the deck a little.

i appreciate your time.

max

Re: bought a cam kit

Congrats on that cam kit purchase! ;)

Technically, you should be able to put the cam in, with the heads still attached. However, you need to index the cam, and to do that, you need to be able to make sure that you know the location of TDC on piston 1. So, if you can do that without pulling the heads, then I don't see why you would have to pull them. However, there may be hardware in the back by cyl 5 or 6 that you can't get at in the engine bay.

It would be easiest pulling the engine, and having it built on an engine stand. Or buying a second engine and building up everything on that, and just swapping them.

Good luck with the swap! I'm sure there are some people on here that will be able to give you even more info on the swap to help you along!

Phill
    Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Re: bought a cam kit

Originally posted by camaroman1181 View Post
      Congrats on that cam kit purchase! ;)

Technically, you should be able to put the cam in, with the heads still attached. However, you need to index the cam, and to do that, you need to be able to make sure that you know the location of TDC on piston 1. So, if you can do that without pulling the heads, then I don't see why you would have to pull them. However, there may be hardware in the back by cyl 5 or 6 that you can't get at in the engine bay.

It would be easiest pulling the engine, and having it built on an engine stand. Or buying a second engine and building up everything on that, and just swapping them.

Good luck with the swap! I'm sure there are some people on here that will be able to give you even more info on the swap to help you along!

Phill

thanks for the info, appreciate it.

i got a lot of time to figure out what to do here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X