This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 Starter "How To"

My original starter finally gave out on my 1993 3.4L Firebird. Not bad for 19 years and 175,000 miles.

I searched on here and other sites for some "how to" knowledge, but I found lots of conflicting information. So, hopefully somebody searches for this subject in the future and finds this thread. Here are the facts.

You DO NOT need to drop the exhaust Y Pipe to do this job. When I looked at the 19 year old bolts on both manifolds, I knew that was not an option. I have changed many starters in my lifetime, and this was by far the most challenging. So, here is how I did it on my 1993 3.4L Firebird, Automatic Trans:
    • Raise vehicle on ramp or jackstands.
    • Disconnect battery.
    • Remove flywheel cover (4 bolts)
    • Unbolt Starter (2 Bolts)
    • Reposition starter and disconnect electrical connections (2 Wires)
    • Reposition starter and remove heat shield (2 Nuts)
    • Reposition starter so that it is upside down and backwards.
    • The starter will now get caught between the exhaust and the transmission cooler lines as you try to remove it.
    • Carefully bend the trans cooler lines towards the transmission.
    • The starter will now slide out (barely)

The new starter had a sticker on it that said "Next Gen". It slid in with ease. Looks like the new starters are a tiny bit smaller, so they fit through the opening.

For install, reverse the above procedures. You will need to slowly bend the trans cooler lines back in order to reinstall the flywheel cover.

My car now starts like a champ. I did not realize how slowly the original starter actually cranked. What a difference the new one makes. Purchased from RockAuto.com, my favorite parts supplier.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
    Had to get another phone
    by ssms5411
    Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
    1 week ago
  • ssms5411
    Leaking front cover
    by ssms5411
    So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
    2 weeks ago
  • transamtom1
    Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
    by transamtom1
    Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X