brake line repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake line repair

I just snapped one of the center hard lines that goes to the rear brakes all the way back just before it goes into the center rubber line.

I have 2 questions:

1) Is there something other than a union fitting (that I don't want to use) that would basically be a double female piece that would allow me to flare both ends of a line and then join them?

2) If I have to run a brand new 3/16th line from the abs block back, I noticed off the ABS block there are stainless steel braided lines first- what's the deal with these? Why are they installed like that? Why didn't GM just use a hardline all the way back?

Basically, is there an issue if I now eliminate that?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: brake line repair

My initial thought about replacing that braided line going into the ABS module is that should stiffen up the pedal feel even more no? I mean usually hardlines > SS braided lines > rubber hose but the only reason you don't use hard lines going to the calipers is the need to have play in the line...coming off the abs module I can't see a need for play? or is there?

Comment

GM would not have spent the money for it if they didn't think it needed to be there.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        GM would not have spent the money for it if they didn't think it needed to be there.
        ya, the question is, is it there so they could get them in due to tight room and wanting to run prefabbed lines? or for other purposes?

If you need to run a brand new brake line, you can't keep those, or atleast I don't know how you would unless you bought prefabbed oem lines from somewhere. As far as I see there is no fitting going into them, it is like they are custom fit onto the lines.

That being said, I think I found my fix, a brass 3/16 union fitting (female both sides) that accepts a double flared joint on each end.

I think that must be legal? it is essentially the exact same joint you have going into your caliper lines, abs block and master cylinder...same flares are needed and it screws in just the same.

This will allow me to maintain all the factory braided lines to the abs block up front and give me less of a headache

Comment

I've done what you described above in the past with good success but mine was just a hardline brake line with no abs. As far as leaks go it's been on there for 5 yrs with no problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 3.4 slow to go
            hey there strangers!
            by 3.4 slow to go
            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
            2 hours ago
          • ssms5411
            Had to get another phone
            by ssms5411
            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
            1 week ago
          • ssms5411
            Leaking front cover
            by ssms5411
            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
            2 weeks ago
          • transamtom1
            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
            by transamtom1
            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X