• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I under stood it lol its cool its cool lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: SLP Firebird GT : Build Thread

Sounded really good to me. You're math is right on track but without a Manley 42137 tool number how are you checking your length? Valve train geometry gets all too important in the upper 6000 plus range. Messed that one up one time only resulted in the ticking time bomb going off.

Comment

I do have an adjustable Comp Cams pushrod to check length, but I didn't even have to use it. I had a set of Comp 6.950" pushrods that were included in something I bought last year that had gone unused. I just colored the valve stem with a sharpie, installed a stock pushrod and rocker and turned the engine over a couple of times to see where the rocker was contacting the valve stem. Then installed a 6.950" pushrod and repeated.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Guess I've never done it without the tool. I 've heard of guys saying if it pushes this side of the rocker it's too long and if it pushes that side it's too short and then adjusting from there with an adjustable rod which is then measured when right. The tool I'm talking about slides over the rocker studs and sits on the valve with an arm that pokes out the pushrod side .The arm is exactly where you want your rod to hit for the best achievable geometry you can get. I guess I'm not understanding how you use the adjustable pushrod checker when you don't have the arm of the tool to hit.

Comment

I didn't use the adjustable pushrod, I came up with a good length just trying what I already had available before even attempting the adjustable. I looked up the tool that you mentioned and it seems like the easiest and quickest way to check needed pushrod length. The adjustable pushrod requires marking the valve stem, adjusting to zero lash and turning the engine over to see the wear pattern on the valve stem from rocker arm contact. You just make slight adjustments to the length until you come up with the correct size necessary. That's what I did, but I tried the stock and aftermarket pushrods first to see if just maybe I could use one of the sizes I already had. I wouldn't have used the stock ones obviously, I would have bought new, stock-length if that were the case. The Comp 6.950's measured out just right though.
            aka FreedStyle
            Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Awesome to hear you got the 6.950 to work correctly. By the sounds of it you do it the old school way which I have never learned so I was wondering if I was missing something. Imho there's never anything wrong with doing it old school just wanted you to be aware of the tool because it's cheap,easy and it works. To bad I was only describing a tool ,lol

Comment

Made decent progress today. Got the new engine closed up and ready to go, the old engine dropped from the car, and should be ready to do the swap tomorrow and maybe even have the engine in the car. We'll see how things go since it's Easter and I have family stuff to attend to later in the day. Time for some pics!

V6 Firebird Engine

SLP Firebird GT Build

v6 firebird subframe

And I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!
                firebird tunnel
                Last edited by LETZRIDE; 12-29-2019, 07:49 PM.
                aka FreedStyle
                Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Is that the engine where the everything coming from :D

Comment

Yep, and I managed to take one last video clip of the car running before I pulled the engine.

Abbott Racing Heads Stage 1 angle-milled heads
                    Intense-Racing Naturally Aspirated Stage 3 cam
                    FFF Longtube headers

Open headers:
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Looking good, makes me jealous.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Can't wait to get my hands on that :D

Comment

The black intake looks awesome. Did you powder coat? In the photo looks like it. The whole motor looks bad to the bone. Like the mono black scheme. Black is the new chrome.

Comment

The intake was powdercoated black by the guy I bought it from. The paint scheme was supposed to be black and gold, but I didn't like the way any of the gold was turning out so I've abandoned that idea. Now it's all black and bare metal, but I may do everything black minus the brand new water pump and the "3800 Series II" on the intake.

The new engine will be going in this weekend. I'll paint, clean, and swap some of the small stuff during the week if I get the chance, but the swap itself will happen Sunday. I'll be doing the suspension swap onto the tubular K member Saturday along with mounting the engine on it hopefully.
                            aka FreedStyle
                            Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Would you mind doing a write up on lifting the body off the k memeber?

Comment

http://v6f-body.com/showthread.php?t=3318

This write up is from a '96 3800, but it's all basically the same. There's very few minor changes from the early 3800's to the later, you'll be able to figure it out, and it's way more detailed than I could go into as well.

I believe this write up takes the harness with the motor, I just disconnected all the sensors and left the harness in the car.
                                aka FreedStyle
                                Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                  Hello everyone!
                                  by Andy H
                                  Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • 3.4 slow to go
                                  hey there strangers!
                                  by 3.4 slow to go
                                  been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X