Hard start condition help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard start condition help

Hey guys I have a wired issue, I recently bought a 99 Camaro 3.8 and it had a hard time starting. I took a look at the air filter and it was filthy. So I tried to start the vehicle with the air box open and it fired up like a champ. So I ended up getting a new air filter and still the same thing. Hard start with the air box closed, but when open it starts up immediately. I sprayed off the MAF sensor and still the same thing...... what do you guys think?

Re: Hard start condition help

Got any codes ? Did you clean maf sensor with maf cleaner?

Comment

Three things need to be present in order for the engine to start and run: 1. Air 2. Fuel 3. Spark

That's just too weird that your car would fire up like when the Air Filter is off. So let's say that it did started like that, do you put the filter back in there and run the car? Does it act up once you place the filter back in?

Comment

Yeah when I install the air filter again ( which is new ) it has the hard starts again, I tuned it up and still the same thing. I don't have any codes, but I admit I haven't cleaned the MAF sensor, I'm going to do that asap tomorrow

Comment

Yes, try cleaning the MAF. If it still has a hard time starting ... Try changing the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). It might help you. I would also recommend changing the Fuel Filter.

Comment

Hi, I think we are varying away from the actual problem......why would the fuel pressure cause the car to cut when you fit an air cleaner :rolleyes:
            First I have a question.....with the air filter off does the car idles up then returns to a good low idle??? If not your Idle air control valve ain't working.
            Secondly I would put the new air fliter in but unplug the MAF sensor...and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro View Post
              Hi, I think we are varying away from the actual problem......why would the fuel pressure cause the car to cut when you fit an air cleaner :rolleyes:
              First I have a question.....with the air filter off does the car idles up then returns to a good low idle??? If not your Idle air control valve ain't working.
              Secondly I would put the new air fliter in but unplug the MAF sensor...and see what happens.
              That's a common problem with the fbody. I doubt about air filter because it would stall once he puts it back on.

Comment

Can you please explain the connection, between the 2......this sounds like you are telling me my driveway crack because I replace a kitchen window :(

Comment

Originally posted by Barbadian Camaro View Post
                  Can you please explain the connection, between the 2......this sounds like you are telling me my driveway crack because I replace a kitchen window :(
                  Read my previous post. He said he's going to clean the MAF and I said go for it. I also added if it doesn't work look into replacing FPR.

FPR has been commonly known to cause hard starts in our fbodies. I've replaced mine and 3 other 4th gens. But hey, I'm no pro. I'm just trying to help out. It's up to him.
                  Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 07-08-2014, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Got two words intake gaskets. Gotta ask first off why would anybody ever replace a fpr without checking the pressure of their existing fpr? That doesn't even sound logical. Secondly a maf problem usually throws a code . Third, cleaning will not fix a broken maf sensor . All that goes for an iac from the checking to the cleaning. With no codes and little info on condition of car and or tuning god only knows why the car won't start but I assure you it aint got nothing to do with the air filter, nothing, nothing and nada. Check for vacume leaks using some carb cleaner if it passes that [which I doubt it will, prob leaking at throttle body or my bet intake gaskets both upper and lower] then get the car tuned, new plugs, wires, and coils at a minimum. 3.8 are known for intake gasket leaks, left unrepaired the water wipes your bearings clean which in turn wipes your motor out

Comment

That doesn't make sense either about that gasket. Bad intake gasket won't be restrictive. If anything his gas mileage would suck and so would his power. He would have leaks, I know because I already replaced mine on the 3rd gen. Let's just see what the true problem is once he gets it fix.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                        That doesn't make sense either about that gasket. Bad intake gasket won't be restrictive. If anything his gas mileage would suck and so would his power. He would have leaks, I know because I already replaced mine on the 3rd gen. Let's just see what the true problem is once he gets it fix.
                        Yeah bad intake gaskets he would be getting low on coolant or have some vacuum problems and probably a misfire.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I think you misquoted me and threw some things of your own in there. I never mentioned the word restrictive {air cleaner is sooo restrictive the car won't start?? what?? Did he really say that?? do our cars have carbureators??}, I did however say it had nothing to do with the air cleaner, nothing ,nothing and nada to be precise. Trust me I'm right about that btw. Now with no codes and a crappy running 3.8 assuming TUNE is good {all of it, the plugs ,wires, fuel filter, coils ,air filter, throttle body}, maf sensor TESTED good, iac TESTED good, vacume leaks undetected there's not too much left besides a mechanical throttle body{yeah they can develop leaks} , and intake gaskets known to deteriorate from the factory. Keep in mind I was just trying to mention some things to check . Btw 2.8Bird the intake isn't a gasket it's actually 4 gaskets. There's 2 uppers and 2 lowers for a total of 4. I've seen on too many 3.8's where they rip or vanish deteriorate in a NON- waterflowing part of the gasket creating an air leak which causes the car to hard start but doesn't loose coolant so don't be too quick to rule out the obvious with your own misguided theorys. The main thing is all these things can be checked and diagnosed before any of the real work begins. Do your homework and you should be able to pinpoint the problem in under a half hr.

Comment

Well I unplugged the MAF sensor, and started the car. The needle went above the one then back down. One thing I've noticed is that the fuel trim is running -11 when running, when I let off the gas the fuel trim goes to -16 and when I accelerate it goes to -3. I can't figure out why the fuel trim is flucuating so much, but this car is running rich as hell. This is really putting my diagnosis skills to the test, and I don't think I can figure it out without you guys.... sometimes you can smell a gas scent

Comment

I think you guys might be on to something with the fuel pressure regulator, also the car had an intermittent misfire on cylinder 5. We just had the plugs and wires done, I think I'm going to take the car to the dealership monday and does a fuel service on it along with replacing that fuel pressure regulator.... that might get us back on track

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X