Coolant leaking out of TB opening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leaking out of TB opening?

So I just bought a 2001 3.8 camaro and noticed it had a slow coolant leak. After searching around on the forums I found out about the LIM and UIM gasket problems so I decided to switch them out for aluminum ones just to be safe. When I took the throttle body off I noticed there was a pretty large amount of orange coolant sitting in the bottom of the plentum! The TB plate was the worst one I have seen, it had a think layer of black tar that took forever to get off. I saw coolant splatters all the way up to the MAF, although I don't think any got on the filamant itself. I can't believe it was actually still running pretty good!

So the question is could a the manifold leaks cause all this or could these be the signs of something else? I knew if the gaskets were leaking, it could drip down into the cyclinders and lifter valley, but I didn't know it could shoot coolant all the way up to the TB! Thanks!

Re: Coolant leaking out of TB opening?

A normal problem that I experienced and others is the intake manifold gasket going bad and then you blow a rod and there goes the engine. Replace it with a upgraded gasket NOT the oem. I had to replace the engine.

Comment

I am changing the gaskets with Felpro metal gaskets. I was just wondering if the gaskets going bad could blow coolant all the way up to the throttle body. I am changing the manifold gaskets either way. Thankfully there appears to none or very little coolant in the oil. Hopefully I am catching it in time!

Comment

Glad U are doing this. You will not know until U finish the job.

Comment

If you notice the 2 holes at the bottom of the TB base of the mating surface; these are coolant passages. You should be replacing the TB gasket anyways so it should take care of the coolant in the TB issue.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys! It looks like the lower and upper manifold gaskets were leaking. The TB might have been leaking the worst though because it looks like the previous owner used liquid gasket instead of a gasket and it didn't seal good. The inside of the plenum is covered in a nasty sludge that I think is coolant that has built up over time. It looked like black glaciers headed down the intake canals :eek:. I cleaned up what I could reach with a rag but the walls of the plenum are still covered and I don't know how I am going to get to it. I tried putting flushing it with gas and carb cleaner but they are touching this sludge. How much with that build up effect the performance? I think my biggest concern is if it begans to melt and slide down the intakes again, I don't want that crap in the engine!

One other question is I got the lower manifold on and tightened, but now I am concerned that I might have messed up the tightening pattern. If I pull it out now and redo it, can I use the same gaskets again? I know I would have to redo the rtv in the corners, but will the gasket be hurt if has already been pressed once? They are the aluminum Felpro gaskets. I am just feeling paranoid and I would like to feel really good about it before I get it all back together. Thanks!

Comment

The gaskets should be ok if they are brand new. To clean the intake, try soaking it over night in gas or another degreasing solution if it's that bad. I used this MEK stuff from Lowe's to clean a lot of my parts when I did my truck engine. The insides of the valve covers and oil pan looked brand new again after a good soak and scrub with a wire brush.
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
              2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...96b43f80cb35f1

Maybe I am just stupid but these instructions on how to tighten down the plenum seem to make no since.
                In the first picture it shows the sequence of all 13 bolts, ending with the two large bolts in the center and it says that is for the 99 models. The second picture starts with the two center bolts but doesn't show them all and says it is for after 99. The instructions for torque describes all three groups of bolts as "upper intake bolts", making no clear distinction of which ones they are talking about.

So my questions are

1. do you start or end with the 2 slanted larger bolts in the center and am I reading it right that they are asking for 22 ft lbs?

2. Is the 11 ft lbs about the bolt up by the throttle body?

Do I still follow the first picture for all the side bolts an am I correct that these are all 89 in lb?
                Thanks!

Comment

So I found the plenum torque instructions in the Haynes manual and it calls for 11 ft lb for the small bolts around the plenum. But as I was doing it I began to have an uneasy feeling that they were getting too tight. Had had to adapt my 3/8 torque wrench down to a 1/4 socket, is that changing the torque?

Comment

Few things for ya. As far as the cleaning goes diesel fuel and/ or transmission fluid. The atf works awesome when soaked overnight for a day or two. Of all the things on the cleaning shelf I've ever used it's the best but it's messy. Diesel works faster and almost as good,messy too though. As for the torque of the bolts use a 45 degree pattern example start farthest left corner move to closest right corner then closest left then farthest right in a circular pattern ending up in the middle. All you're really doing is trying to flatten the gaskest slowly and evenly as possible. Torque this way to 1/2 the torque value {if your after 22 ft lbs final torque to 11) then repeat to the process to the 22ft lbs. As for the torque wrench you use anything under 25 ft lbs should be converted to inch/lbs using an expensive inch /lb torque wrench that come with a authentic letter of calibration plus or minus 2 percent. Home depot has them for about 75 dollars. Don't cheap out on this it will pay for itself down the road on other projects. Intake manifold gaskets are a pain in the back literally and no one wants to do em twice.Convert 22 ft lbs to inch /lbs by multiplying 22 x 12 (224 inch/lbs). If you use an extension on your torque wrench longer than 4 inches I would add a couple of inch pounds to every 4 inches of extension. When your done change the oil (one word on oil , synthetic, synthetic, ok 2 words) flush all the dexcool and run regular antifreeze. Don't mix the dexcool with regular antifreeze it makes sludge. That coupled with aftermarket gaskets and a good precise install should be the end of that headache.Hope that helps

Comment

Thank you! I did finally get it back together and so far so good! Will be changing the oil and keeping my eye on the oil and coolant. Let the praying begin! Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X