Want 2 disconnect Air Bag for safety. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want 2 disconnect Air Bag for safety.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want 2 disconnect Air Bag for safety.

Given the track record of airbags going off and shooting metal stuff into your head, I would prefer to take my chances with it disabled. I have a 2000 Camaro and that bag is 15 years old....anyone know an easy way to do it?

Re: Want 2 disconnect Air Bag for safety.

Disconnect the neg. On the battery and pull the fuse. Then disconnect the module in the center console. Might as well do the steering wheel they have alot of aftermarket steering wheels. Mine I got a Sparco with a Momo adapter. Mine didn't set off in lights on the dash but most will set off the air bag light.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 05-20-2015, 06:35 PM.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks but that seems like a big job and not sure I could do it. How about just removing the fuse?

Comment

Only one way to do it right.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Disconnect the battery, wait half an hour, then unplug it if possible or just cut the wires.
          aka FreedStyle
          Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
          2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

"unplug it"....you omitted how to "unplug it"

Comment

find the connectors in the harness. Typically the larger yellow wire is the airbag. Follow the harness under the dash and locate the wires that travel to the airbags. The connector may be in line somewhere or it may have one on the airbag itself. I honestly can't say for sure as I have never messed with the airbags on my Firebird. I've removed them on other cars, but not an F-Body.
              aka FreedStyle
              Chaddrich Freed

Comment

Thanks but do not feel comfortable with that kind of wire surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                  Disconnect the neg. On the battery and pull the fuse. Then disconnect the module in the center console. Might as well do the steering wheel they have alot of aftermarket steering wheels. Mine I got a Sparco with a Momo adapter. Mine didn't set off in lights on the dash but most will set off the air bag light.
                  It's simple to get the Air Bag light to go off - but I won't put it on the messageboard.

PalmHarbor - If you do this - PM me. I removed mine back in 2011 for the same reason. Do a Search for "Air Bag" and you will find several posts.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

My question is, how would this affect insurance coverage in the case of an accident? It would be one thing if the air bags failed to deploy due to manufacturer defect, but what about due to tampering with them? Would they void the personal injury coverage? Or would they even bother checking for a reason at all?
                    aka FreedStyle
                    Chaddrich Freed

Comment

If the airbag goes off and shoots stuff into my head, the insurance issue is moot.

Comment

I wasn't questioning your reasoning, I fully understand that. I'm just kinda curious what the insurance would say.
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

Comment

You do realize our cars do not use the TAKATA bags

Comment

My car is 15 years old...I doubt if they work anymore. BTW...the Japanese company who has to recall all these manufactures all these bags in CHINA...same with GM ignition switches...CHINA

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
                              My car is 15 years old...I doubt if they work anymore. BTW...the Japanese company who has to recall all these manufactures all these bags in CHINA...same with GM ignition switches...CHINA
                              So what does one have to do with the other? besides dubious quality?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X