front end sounds like and old man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front end sounds like and old man

i think this cold winter got the best of the rubber components supporting the front end. I got bilstiens and a 32mm sway with the polys. all greased up good when i installed it all. but i recently got backed over by some car and the damage isnt too bad, more like scuffs and big paint chips...

but the main point of what im getting at is, I have this sagging squeek sound that happens when i go over speed tables and such. like something rubber-like is jacked up or somethings old and worn.

for those that installed the sway bars...what kind of squeek sounds do the sway bar bueshings make when they need grease or if you didnt grease them?

thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!
    Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Re: front end sounds like and old man

Well when you say squeek it leads me to belive its somthing metal on metal.. weather the bushings have greese on them or not its not going to matter if your getting metal on metal. If you have access to a lift i would recommend putting it up and going through sway bar bushings, possible tie rod ends or even upper ball joints. And are u postive it is in the front end, because I had the same annoying squeek which drove me up the wall and it turned out it was a bad trailing arm bushing. If you dont find anything go around with some white litheum greese and some Wd40 and hit all your spots. JUST A THOUGHT! haha

Comment

I installed my 32mm front sway bar with the Moog hard rubber bushings. We didn't put any grease on the endlinks. We did use a little to get the bushings on easily. The endlinks only creak when going over bumps or speed tables on really cold days. Other than that, no noise.

But poly may be a different story. I haven't had any experience with that myself.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

next step is to get under there and take some shiz apart. i have modeled out the probable causes, but im afraid of what it really might be... the upper and lower ball joints. not what i want to mess with
        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

^Thats what I was going to suggest if your suspension is higher mileage is upper lower ball joints. On the highway does the car handle well with no vibrations? Or shaking?
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

car drives perfect, no shaking or vibrations that are noticable. its a sound that is worse when its cold out. i am hopeing that spring will make it go away.. haha

I got under there and didnt find anything suspicious, the sway bar will move up and down with the suspension when driving over hopy terrain. right? there no way that thing stays stationary.

Comment

A quick and really late update from 2009:

I kept my eye on my 2000 f'bird's front suspension squeaker situation (happened only under cold outside temps) and discovered that at some point/eventually the metal U-style brackets completely broke apart. I found the bar hanging low or suspended connected only by the endlinks. I was shocked to find that both brackets were still bolted in place but broken in the middle. To recap, I had installed the red ES bushings/poly sway-bar bushings previously a summer or two prior to all this.

New brackets from Ebay and a heavy application of super grease solved the problem.

Now it's late 2014, and she's been good since. Next I'll swap out the worn tie rods, ball joints, and end links.

On a more serious note: I just want to mention that I cant believe I still have this car after 10+ years!! I've been all over the US with her and she's still runnin' strong! Even with the bloody oil leaks! Besides that, I do everything to take really good care of her. OD Currently reads @~134K. She's far from new but she still shines. This navy blue bird has been reliable and my trusty DD everywhere I go.

All I need is a rad pic to end my moment of pride here...
              Last edited by HeadyFirebird'00; 10-16-2014, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X