Lack of power / Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lack of power / Hesitation

I take it this leak sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the left front of the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
      I take it this leak sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the left front of the engine?
      I honestly can't tell. If it was?
      Also, I have already removed the belt to rule out accessories. No change
      Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 01-07-2015, 01:48 PM.
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Someone please help me confirm fuel pressure.
        sigpic

Comment

After reading this thread again and noting that not only do you hear a hiss from a location unknown but you've also done work to the EGR valve, check the EGR pipe which runs from the intake manifold down to the EGR valve manifold.

I had a problem vacuum leak similar in nature to yours. It was a PIA problem to diagnose but I finally found that that pipe was cracked at the bottom where collar which holds it to the EGR manifold. Had to replace the pipe. That fixed the problem.

As for your fuel pressure question...are you asking what the pressure should be or are you asking how to test it?

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
            After reading this thread again and noting that not only do you hear a hiss from a location unknown but you've also done work to the EGR valve, check the EGR pipe which runs from the intake manifold down to the EGR valve manifold.

I had a problem vacuum leak similar in nature to yours. It was a PIA problem to diagnose but I finally found that that pipe was cracked at the bottom where collar which holds it to the EGR manifold. Had to replace the pipe. That fixed the problem.

As for your fuel pressure question...are you asking what the pressure should be or are you asking how to test it?
            I don't think you read the entire thread, just a couple posts up ;)
            I already replaced the EGR pipe.
            There is a vid a couple of posts up actually showing the FP test. I need to know if it looks OK.

I have found a nice crack where the pass side manifold meets the collector. That may be the source of my sound. Need to have it patched before proceeding.

Can a CAT be tested?
            sigpic

Comment

You can test a cat indirectly a couple of ways.

The first way is quite indirect. If the MIL is not on and the car passes a state emissions test, the cat is ok.

The other way is with an IR thermometer. The outlet of the cat should be 50-100° hotter than the intet.

As for the fuel pressure test video, to gain any useful info, you need to test fuel pressure per the FSM...with the engine off. Connectd the gauge, turn the key on and note the pressure once the needle stabilizes. Then turn the key off and note how quickly pressure drops.

Comment

You can test a cat indirectly a couple of ways.

The first way is quite indirect. If the MIL is not on and the car passes a state emissions test, the cat is ok. No SES and to not have any emissions in FL.

The other way is with an IR thermometer. The outlet of the cat should be 50-100° hotter than the intet. I can do this with it still in?

As for the fuel pressure test video, to gain any useful info, you need to test fuel pressure per the FSM...with the engine off. Connectd the gauge, turn the key on and note the pressure once the needle stabilizes. Then turn the key off and note how quickly pressure drops. This was done (but not exactly), see previous post. Took over 30 for it to lose some pressure after the video was shot. Girl says car is getting worse.
                sigpic

Comment

CAT has been removed and the car is WAYYYY better. Once in a while I feel it hesitating but it really doesnt hold me back. Something still isnt right but at least its now drive-able!
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X