5w-40, Is anyone using it..Mobile One et al - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5w-40, Is anyone using it..Mobile One et al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5w-40, Is anyone using it..Mobile One et al

I would guess most viewers have 100,000 miles or more as the last Camaro/FB came out over ten years ago....I would like to know what affect this oil has had on your oil pressure readings. I have a junk yard engine that was a remanufactured engine before the car crashed and my oil pressure on the gauge is never higher than 11:00
    Phil

Re: 5w-40, Is anyone using it..Mobile One et al

Gauges are different on earlier F-body's what is 11:00 on yours is it 60 PSI? When cold mines at almost 90 PSI on the stock guage and falls to about 45 when hot. This is with 10w/30 Mobile 1. If concerned I would put a mechanical gauge on it and check it out. Only time I have been concerned with mine is with 150 shots of nitrous and a bottle later on a 110 degree day it fell to about 30 PSI on the stock gauge, but it recovered shortly after. I have about 178,000 but engine was rebuilt at 120,000 so about alittle over 50,000 on the engine. And its been supercharged, then nitrous and then a turbo through it and still running strong. Also cammed and heads.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Sender for Oil Pressure was replaced after new engine. I want to know what people's experience is with 5W-40 synthetic.
      Phil

Comment

why would you use 5w40? gm specifies 10w30. i'd consider 5w30 in the winter. changing the viscosity to change what the gauge reads is pointless... a higher pressure reading doesn't make for a better lubricant. pressure is a measurement of restriction to flow. it reads a higher pressure because the higher viscosity doesn't flow as well in the system. i'm not saying you want low oil pressure because obviously that's not the case either.

Comment

I hope you are taking into account your bearing clearances when you are changing oil weights...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I've used RP 20w50 and Amosoil 10w/40 in the Camaro, but that was with the turbo though( needed alittle thicker oil) but didn't notice any difference in oil PSI. If worried about oil PSI hook a mechanical gauge on it. I've went back to 10w/30 and its the same PSI on the stock "inaccurate" gauge no matter what weight oil I put in it, so I wouldn't trust it unless its reading zero.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Also, your oil pressure gauge isn't going to tell you if the oil you are using is doing an effective job etc.

I personally would stick to 5w30 or 10w30

If you want some insight onto the best performing oils, here is a chart I have started to put together that compares all of the oils (both synthetic and non synthetic)...it's a work in progress, so there will be more oils added at a later date... but it should give you an idea.

Amsoil wins the synthetic battle, and castrol GTX so far has won the non synthetic battle

Oil Definitions

5W30 Synthetic and non synthetic oil comparison chart

Comment

That is so awesome the whole oil debate thing for real. Honestly I love reading all the oil debates ,filters included. google Bobstheoilguy.com ,there's some really un biased info there but I will have to quote Donny Peterson {the god of motor rebuilding} on this one "I only have one word to say about oil, synthetic !!!!! The only way he could have said it better would have been "Royal Purple and Wix". Killed a lot of 3.8 motors (7 to be exact} but never a bearing failure always valvetrain usually starting with a spring failure

Comment

Originally posted by htmabe View Post
                  Killed a lot of 3.8 motors (7 to be exact} but never a bearing failure always valvetrain usually starting with a spring failure
                  You know- I'd be lying if I said that number surprises me.

But, it's bad luck to call out someone else on their failures, so I won't.

Comment

The oil grade is most important of all.

http://www.oilspecifications.org/ilsac.php

ILSAC

The International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) also has standards for motor oil. Introduced in 2004, GF-4 applies to SAE 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, and 10W-30 viscosity grade oils. In general, ILSAC works with API in creating the newest gasoline oil specification, with ILSAC adding an extra requirement of fuel economy testing to their specification. For GF-4, a Sequence VIB Fuel Economy Test (ASTM D6837) is required that is not required in API service category SM.

A key new test for GF-4, which is also required for API SM, is the Sequence IIIG, which involves running a 3.8 L (232 in3), GM 3.8 L V-6 at 125 hp (93 kW), 3,600 rpm, and 150 °C (300 °F) oil temperature for 100 hours. These are much more severe conditions than any API-specified oil was designed for: cars which typically push their oil temperature consistently above 100 °C (212 °F) are most turbocharged engines, along with most engines of European or Japanese origin, particularly small capacity, high power output.

The IIIG test is about 50% more difficult than the previous IIIF test, used in GF-3 and API SL oils. Engine oils bearing the API starburst symbol since 2005 are ILSAC GF-4 compliant.

To help consumers recognize that an oil meets the ILSAC requirements, API developed a "starburst" certification mark.

A new set of specifications, GF-5, took effect in October 2010. The industry has one year to convert their oils to GF-5 and in September 2011, ILSAC will no longer offer licensing for GF-4.
                    Last edited by FirebirdGT; 10-28-2014, 11:14 AM.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Nice bit of info! nice to know they used a 3800 for the test to

Comment

After reading all of this....I still do not read any personal experiences with Mobil 1 5w-40 oil in a 3.8!
                        Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarborBlkv6 View Post
                          After reading all of this....I still do not read any personal experiences with Mobil 1 5w-40 oil in a 3.8!
                          Then I would be willing to bet that nobody that's active on here has done it, or has either chosen not to respond. Why not simply try it and find out what happens.
                          Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                          Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                          Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                          Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                          Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I think bad luck is more like "I went to the grocery store for my mommy and blew my motor". When you constantly year after year beat a 3.8 to hell it starts to speak back to you when you know what to look for. The valve train geometry isn't perfect simply put it just has too many moving parts to achieve success much beyond 7400rpm. Anyway the point I was trying to get across is the shortblock main rotating assembly is about as bullet proof as you can get. They really are probably one of the most successful motors gm has to date. So do all your research argue all your battles but in the end it's 1 word ......synthetic

Comment

Sorry but as I read your post, I see no mention of 5W - 40 motor oil
                              user experiences...am I wrong on that?
                              Phil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X