Building a LeMons Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a LeMons Racer

hey glad to see some one else doing some handling stuff on here. hope to see some more video once you get her back up and running. if you have any questions on handling send me a shout out. im not on here often but ill answer any questions i can. and yes these cars can out run most v8 in an autocross.

Comment

I've been working on putting in a new motor this summer. Unfortunately I could only find a 99 3.8 instead of a 00 so there are a few extra things I have to switch over. I hope to do one more race this year, either in September or October. As soon as I get this motor in I am going to focus on the suspension and cutting out some additional weight. Any suspension suggestions are welcomed!

Comment

what are your alighnment specs on your front end? are you having any issues with understeer or oversteer? once you get her running you may to take the car to an autocross to see how it is running and to check everything.

Comment

We took it to mechanic buddy and asked for about 3 degrees of negative camber in the front and 2 in the rear. Unfortunately I didn't get a print out of the specs, but the price was right. One of my winter goals for the car is new shocks, struts, and springs. Also to look into a torsion bar upgrade from factory. Catch is I need all these upgrades to cost less than $500 per race rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemons Racer View Post
            We took it to mechanic buddy and asked for about 3 degrees of negative camber in the front and 2 in the rear. Unfortunately I didn't get a print out of the specs, but the price was right. One of my winter goals for the car is new shocks, struts, and springs. Also to look into a torsion bar upgrade from factory. Catch is I need all these upgrades to cost less than $500 per race rules.
            If your mechanic buddy tells you he put 2 degrees of camber in the rear, you should probably find a new mechanic buddy. ;) And IIRC on my '02 Camaro when I maxed out the camber with the factory adjustments I ended up with 2 to 2.5 degrees negative (using a Longacre caster/camber gauge, so not super precise) on both sides. Just remember to re-set the toe (your mechanic should do that) after you get the camber where you want it.

Probably the only way you're going to get upgrades for shocks (these cars don't have struts), springs, and sway bars (I assume that's what you meant by "torsion bar") is to find some good deals on used ones. Springs might be the one thing that you could buy new without going over budget; Strano sells his for around $250, and BMR has a set with very similar rates for about $210. I think Sam's are a lighter spring, but I have the BMR springs on my car and I can vouch that they are way better than the Eibach off-the-shelf kits. You could also go with true race springs - Ground Control make kits for the Camaro, and would probably set you up with just springs if you gave them a call.

For sway bars, I would worry more about the front one than the rear - you really want to keep the rear kinda soft on these cars to keep them hooked up. You can find used bars from the SS or Z28 cars for cheap, and they are a step up from the V6s.

Panhard bar - get a set of poly bushings and box the factory bar as someone else suggested and you should be fine. If you want new and tubular, there is a company called Founders Suspension that sells what appear to be very well made parts for almost half what the big names charge.

Shocks are going to be a tougher find - Konis would be ideal, but the Bilsteins the Strano sells are very good, and even a set of AGXs would be an improvement. I would watch ebay and craigslist, as well as the various forums, for deals. Remember, most if not all of the suspension parts from the V8s will also work on the V6.

One last thing - I would strongly suggest trying to find a used oem lsd for your car. That alone should make a world of difference, and the factory lsd is just fine for what you are doing.

Comment

Great suggestions and thank you for taking the time out to write. In our last race with it we ended up spinning the main bearings and so this summer have been swapping in a new 3.8. I really like the idea of getting a sway bar from an ss or Z28. I'll definately look into some of those other options. Especially since I was seriously considering the Eibach sport line spring setup.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X