Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Sorry if I did this wrong but could not obtain information on how to get to the introductions page so started this thread.
    At the age of 77 years I am now the proud owner of a 2001 Pontiac Firebird base coupe with the 3800 V6 engine. The prior owner and the recent seller did not do much for this vehicle so I checked out all of the fluid levels and made the change in fluids necessary. The car named "Slick" now has no leaking problems and drives and rides like a dream. I am still working on it as the dash was badly cracked and I need to remove some old window tint that makes it difficult to see out the rear window.
    When purchased the car had 97,500 miles on it. My mechanic checked it out and advised the engine and transmission are in good shape. The A/C works just fine and the radio/CD player works. Sound good with the 4 speaker system.
    Obviously, at my age I do not intend on racing the car. In my younger days owned several sports cars such as a 1973 Datsun 240Z, a Mazda RX7 and a Nissan 280ZX.
    I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer so decided to have some fun with a car one last time. My prognosis is good but I did not want to wait any longer for a fun car so bought this baby.
    I will be following this forum for information.
    Attached Files

Re: Introduction

You're from Mandeville? I'm from the Gulf region. Welcome.
    Leonard
    www.fquick.com/96V6Junkie
    sigpic

Comment

nice looking ride :tup:

Comment

Howdy !!
        My Name is Andy McGlenn & I'm building a 3.8 V6 for My Sons 2000 Camaro. His engine has a rod hammering at 253,000 miles. I can't believe that it's lasted this long !! I picked up another long block with 70,000 miles that has a slight rod tap according to My buddy I got it from. It had a 30 day warranty but He didn't get it installed in the 30 day time period. It was a salvage yard engine and he pulled in after the install because of the tap. When We went to tear it down We found that it didn't have an oil pick up tube !! All I can figure is that the salvage yard pulled the pan to inspect it before giving a warranty & forgot to reinstall the pick up tube.
        It's not hurt too bad !! The cylinders are perfect still showing cross hatch & the pistons are clean & smooth. We are installing a crank kit,reconditioned rods, and are using the stock heads with a polish job on the ports. We are using a GT2 cam and this is where I start to have questions. I'm looking at the cam at ZZ Performance & it suggest 125 lb to 140 lb valve springs. As I look through the engine tech forum it looks like many are only running 105 lb springs. Then we are going to run a dual row timing chain & gear set which requires removing the balancer shaft. The next thing We have to do is to plug the balancer shaft bearing bores & oil holes that feed them. What are You folks doing in this case?
        Any input on this is very appreciated !!
        Thanks Andy

Comment

A little peek at His ride !!

Comment

They really recommend 125 to 140 lb springs a GT2 cam I would just do tbe 105lb springs and single timing chain if your not adding power adders like supercharger, nitrous or turbo. I would pick up ZZP s alm. Intake gaskets and the alm. coolant elbow. Also some pushrods, viton guides. Thats about all I can think of right now. Welcome to tbe forum. Almost forgot your going to need a tune also.
            Last edited by ssms5411; 02-25-2016, 05:50 PM.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Wow I just checked their website I guess go with the 125lb springs and double roller.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

With the shift points set to 6500 RPM & the Rev limiter set at 7000 I'm concerned about valve float !! For what I spending on this I'd rather spend a few more $$ & get this right !!

Comment

I hope you have Hptuners and a wideband to tune it if your shifting that high.

Comment

Introduction UK Newbie

Hi All, new member from Blackpool, North west, UK. 4th Gen 1997 3.8 V6 30th Anniversay edition with 60k miles from new.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Introduction UK Newbie

Originally posted by trevor simpkins View Post
                      Hi All, new member from Blackpool, North west, UK. 4th Gen 1997 3.8 V6 30th Anniversay edition with 60k miles from new.
                      Welcome, nice looking Camaro with low miles. I take it , it doesn't get driven alot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to get another phone
                        by ssms5411
                        Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                        1 week ago
                      • ssms5411
                        Leaking front cover
                        by ssms5411
                        So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                        2 weeks ago
                      • transamtom1
                        Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                        by transamtom1
                        Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X