Aluminum Heads for our 3800??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aluminum Heads for our 3800??

The cast iron heads can only go so far. The aluminum heads will show a larger gain at the higher end of the power levels just from percentage gains here and there. For the regular tom **** and harry on just a pulley swap or off the shelf cam, it won't be as big a margin.

Some rumor is they got their hands on a rare set of the prototype aluminum heads (they do/did exist) and ran with it...whatever. The issue I have with the ZZP heads is they aren't a huge deviation from the stock design. Granted they would be able to have a better design if they changed the actual port design and combustion chamber and had their own intake manifold to go with it. But if you're spending $4K on heads, another $500-1k on a sheet metal intake is just part of the process of making it work right.

That in itself would merit the higher price if they were capable of flowing like the big dog LSx heads that are doing 300 to 400+cfm.

Just imagine if an NA 3800 was able to run a 350cfm head with a proper race cam with newer lobe designs. You wouldn't quite get as much of the "Just swap a V8 in it" comments.

Comment

oh I 100% agree - my point is the aluminum is still better performance wise, just over priced, and that this other guy is full of sh*t. I don't even think ZZP has ever posted flow numbers on these things, so I am still waiting on this circumstantial claim he makes

Imagine if Lee would just run some damn heads on that thing! Damn Lee!!

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Wait till I get mine running again. The S1X it had is puny in comparison ;)

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
          Wait till I get mine running again. The S1X it had is puny in comparison ;)
          I told you it was small :P

What's the new setup?

Comment

what the **** is this guy even talking about any more? went from heads, to grocery getters to gutting fiberglass out of cars to talking about tires.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
            Or this

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
              I told you it was small :P

What's the new setup?
              John at WOT-Tech's Thumper cam. It's big.

Having to get some work done on the engine because I misjudged the tolerances and broke a valve off like a boob...

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                what the **** is this guy even talking about any more? went from heads, to grocery getters to gutting fiberglass out of cars to talking about tires.
                I don't know pretty sure he is referring to my weight reduction thread- not sure why but whatever.

Then he was going on about how aluminum doesn't perform as well as cast iron and that GM has us brainwashed and apparently all the LSX high performance cars are not really high performance, they're grocery getters because they have moved to all aluminum, which isn't performance.

Then he's convinced that a brand new set of tires will make you go fast above anything else.

So Car A has brand new tires and Car B gets a brand new measly 40 shot added to it....I'll put all my money on Car B winning so long as the driver can drive and all else is the same between the two cars... so I don't know what he's smoking, but he should probably stop...it's killing brain cells.

Also, apparently I'll be at the back of the "pack" ...but funny there are no details of any setups here and I still haven't seen these mysterious flow number comparisons....and anyone that has read the heads/cam bible knows allllllll about what flow numbers and interpretations means :spank:

John at WOT-Tech's Thumper cam. It's big.

Having to get some work done on the engine because I misjudged the tolerances and broke a valve off like a boob...
                :excited::excited: I want to see this! but the real question will be...when are you going to take it to the strip?? :(

Comment

I heard you can fit a lot of groceries in the back of one of the new stingrays, just sayin...
                  Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                  Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                  Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                  Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                  Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Why misquote me to make yourselves try to look better? I've basically given you the answer sheet to the test you can't pass and you've thrown it in the trash. Grocery getter is a term racers use to define a stock car. We also define stock parts as such.I agree with war strike if your going to make a set of heads then you need to mate it with an intake. That would be the only combination. However at 5000 I'm still just stating fact when I say there's a bigger bang for your buck going a different route. Forget flow numbers from the sounds of it you don't have enough experience or know how to make a set up like this work anyway. I ran two races last night, my heat race was ran with tires that had seen better days. Changed out to new tires my lap times were 5 seconds faster per lap in qualifying. Lets see 5 times 20 is well over a minute and the checkered flag I drove around all the lt1s with I compete against week after long week all got to sit and watch. Smoked them all and I did it with new tires.I spend more money on a set of valve springs than those 4 tires cost me or about the same.Acting like a baby and misquoting me won't make your heads flow better or your car go faster. A common sense approach to ability, knowledge and a willingness to learn will. I must say I do love cars esp the f-body so try not to get all bent out of shape when somebody,anybody points out something you didn't know. From the sounds of it that could be a lot. Open your eyes and read the answer sheet it's all there.

Comment

I want to see this! but the real question will be...when are you going to take it to the strip??
                      Not exactly sure when it'll ever see the strip. I'd have to drive a few hours to our closest 1/4 or 1/8 mile track. We'll see what happens. If I get an engineering internship out of town this summer, maybe then.

Old cam did 196 through the auto, never got to dyno it with the manual trans.
                      New cam is expected to do around 250+. We'll see.

Comment

Also, peak numbers aren't quite as important as the average airflow. That's where all that nice low end torque comes into play. John at WOT-Tech isn't hogging my heads out for peak numbers, he's going after best flow across the board. I go with him because he builds his stuff with the same mindset I have which is a usable powerband.

Comment

than aluminum tit for tat, and that they simply do not.
                          He he.... you said tit :banana:
                          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to get another phone
                            by ssms5411
                            Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                            1 week ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Leaking front cover
                            by ssms5411
                            So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • transamtom1
                            Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                            by transamtom1
                            Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                            3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X