L67 F-bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: L67 F-bird

Since this thread is active, I'll ask a few of you guys...

How much vertical room is left above the M90 case in the back? I see there's not much trouble getting it installed at stock height, but what about an I/C'd setup possibly?

Here's what I've got in the GTP still, and would love to swap it into an F-body finally, but if it's not going to happen without difficulty with the windshield, I'll leave the setup in my FWD, and gear up for a turbo build when I buy a RWD 3800 soon. I've done swap work for many others, and am finally going to enjoy one for myself, since I have little else to do here in FL during my off-duty time.

m90 3800 Granprix Camaro

m90 3800 Grand Prix Firebird

I'm a fan of using a s/c as a first choice, for various reasons, regardless of max potential. Having done a few turbo 3.8 builds for 11sec FWD guys over the years, I'm not opposed to going that way, if necessary, but as a secondary plan.

Pics of under the cowl are a request, if possible. Thanks.

Magnuson already makes a nice elbow for the RWD setup, if I didn't want to spin it around and use the shaft-mount pulley, like they do on the GTO/truck kits.

magnuson camaro turbo pipe

Keep the pics coming as inspiration, and any hp/track numbers during shake-downs would be fun to read, I'm sure.
    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:31 PM.

Comment

There is hardly any room to stick an intercooler in as is. Theres 3/8" on top. Thats it. However, the motor can be lowered around 3/8" i believe and you could certianly build some 1/4" spacers for the K member and lower the entire motor trans setup. That gets you 1" and you could mill down the supercharger, intake ect.

But, I believe running E85 and ported heads and cam would be more reliable safe HP and would end up with more. I am not impressed at the intercoolers after looking at them. I was told they were nothing more than external trans coolers stuck in an aluminum plate and after looking thats what they are.

That magnuson U bend looks awesome. I bet it would fit on a big M112 (what that looks like at least) in a RWD setup. The point you can NOT go past is the rear of the lower intake. The LIM almost hits and I had to persuade the firewall back 1/4". That 112 looks a ton longer than a 90 though.

Comment

Grabbed a few pictures of the sorta finished engine bay. The filter is taking in hot air, but theres no place else to put it. Like no where. I wanted to put it in the drivers side fender well but I cant get between the radiator and ABS module. So its sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Dude that almost looks stock. I want this so bad. But anyway, have you considered switching to a LID setup and running an LS1 style aftermarket lid? That will get you your cold air and you appear to have enough room to do it if you ditch the filter.
          1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

I wanted to run an LS1 lid but was told that they will hit the hood unless I cut out the hood reinforcement. I dont have a definite answer. I might redo it when I pull the motor in a month or so.

Comment

I/C's are made using heater cores in a CNC'd sandwich with the air passing through it (like any other A-W setup in single-digit turbo/CSC setups). E85 and heads/cam aren't a replacement for a 140*F temp drop of the boosted air... besides, when I can have those on top of the I/C gains, why limit it? :cool:

Eliminate your "extra" emissions items, and you should see some more room. We found plenty for the charge pipe while building my buddy's procharged LS6 setup in his '00 SS:

Ls1 Camaro custom radiator cover
              (hand-made the radiator plate, and fuse cover wtih some aluminum sheet scraps from our racecar body material)

But yes, your setup looks very clean as-is. My issue is that I've built some maxxed-out non-I/C setups in FWD form already, and the power levels reached aren't sufficient (my 333.5whp with a Gen5 M90 and XP cam on an '01 L36 block in '06 was close to the limit). 450-500whp on I/C'd supercharger setups have been done on GP's, but would be put to much better use in an F-body, which is my goal with some additional parts installed during the swap.
              Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

im running an L32 in my camaro, there just not enough space from the dash to blower to add a intercooler. what im running on my setup is a devilsown meth kit to combat intake temps. another option would of been to run a 50 shot of nitrous just to cool off the intake charge.

Comment

An alky kit is alright for a slight bump in timing/boost, but I'm not into doing the band-aid mods when it comes to the big power these days. I bought one of Bilal's original kits when he started with them as a group buy in '04 on ClubGP, and saw it wasn't optimal for this exact configuration after working with our (then) "new" tuner that finally came out that year.

A nitrous shot, in itself, is a separate power adder, and just like building up the engine, can simply be added onto a package to further some gains depending on investment level.

Guess I could mention that I've been modding L67/L36/L32/L26 setups in multiple chassis types for a decade now, with most items/techniques on the market, so I'm just hoping to see some unique input from you guys as far as fit purposes. I see the F-body with 3800's as something that just never got the right type of modding community to take off like the rest of the 3800 cars did, since so many ran to V8 swaps when major work came into the picture. Tim King's sole single-digit setup with just one season of implementing GP/Wbody advancements into his Firebird, shows basically what knowledge has been ignored in this platform.

I'd like to join in that success, but on the s/c side if possible. I'm not opposed to cutting away at the wiper region, as I've seen some with the Vette kit for this Magnuson MP112 swapped into LS1 cars have done. If you guys have been able to do a stock M90 without cutting anything yet, and there's some spacing left, along with that cuttin available, I see potential still. Hopefully, I can find the right (priced) car here in FL soon, to leave me plenty of budget to snag a stock L67/32 to toss back in my GTP while I take the L26/67 MP112 setup, and turn it into a RWD build finally.

Comment

lol im down in miami fl. anyways man i looked into that but u just cant hack that section unless ur willing to give up ur wipers. ur best bet is to get a 92 RS camaro witch is a third gen but it has air bag and ABS brakes and a **** load of room to work with. its also a lighter platform. i had to go to some extremes just to get the l32 in there.3rd gen camaro engine
                    Last edited by LETZRIDE; 01-13-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Got the exhaust on today. Sounds great, but it needs a tune bad. In 3rd gear the motor wont rev past 3500, probably because it doesnt know whats going on. So much air flow, wrong injectors, no boost MAP. HP tuners will be on the way sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                        Dude that almost looks stock. I want this so bad. But anyway, have you considered switching to a LID setup and running an LS1 style aftermarket lid? That will get you your cold air and you appear to have enough room to do it if you ditch the filter.

I have and L67 top end for sale, all you would have to get is the M90 and mod it :D
                        3M MAFIA
                        ________
                        | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                        Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                        sigpic

Comment

Well Ive got about 350 miles on the motor so far. Runs good but like I said cuts out under boost. Thats a common problem from what I understand on L36 ECM's.

I was coming into town today and heard the power steering pump whining on turns, by the time I got home I had no power steering. Must have blown a hose or a seal or something. Drained the entire resovior within 2 miles.

So now I get to reinstate my Cutlass as my daily driver. Im not complaining. ;)

Comment

I fixed the power steering by pulling the high pressure line off, putting it back on, and filling up the resovior. What I did I dont know.

Heres a few pictures of the exhaust. I had no idea what the mouting locations were so the mounts got welded to clamps. Works great and I dont care if the bottom of the car looks pretty, theres enough rust and grime under there anyways.
                            I also need to change tires, these snow tires makes the thing feel like its on ice. However tuning it is more important I think.
                            The good thing is it doesnt hit the floor, barely hangs below the the car and sounds pretty good overall. I had a video but I can get it loaded onto my photobucket acount and dont have a youtube account.

Comment

where did u get the pipes from the s pipe in back in 3 inch? i been searching all over the place and haven't had any luck. i think it looks great man.

Comment

Originally posted by 97RSSM90 View Post
                                where did u get the pipes from the s pipe in back in 3 inch? i been searching all over the place and haven't had any luck. i think it looks great man.
                                Summit racing will have them under Dynomax pipping.
                                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X