May need cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May need cat?

I have a 2002 3.8 Firebird, minor intake mod and Flowmaster cat-back. Getting a super-fine gray/tan powder at the exhaust tips, throwing code for multi-cylinder misfire. Runs fine all day long until you step on it or drive on the freeway, then it shakes and doesn't want to go any faster. A friend of mine suggested it may need a new cat. I dunno...i called an exhaust shop and they tell me that the powder may be fiberglass coming out of the Flowmaster muffler and not the cat. I know it's hard to diagnose something without seeing it...but any idea's??

Re: May need cat?

All you need is a vacuum gauge to check for a bad cat. Do a search on line there's plenty of info there.

Comment

Flowmasters do not have any fiberglass in them.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        Flowmasters do not have any fiberglass in them.
        Correct...i verified this with Flowmaster. I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow (Friday)...wish me luck and hope it doesn't cost too much.

Comment

The honeycomb inside your Cat might have broken off into pieces or it be more related to your injectors.

Comment

Update...y'all are gonna laugh...it was a coil pack, #3/5. Something i could've easily done myself if i knew what to look for/how to test. Back in the day when i drove pre-90's cars i did a "tune-up" every year...plugs, wires, distributor cap+rotor...etc. I've changed all 3 coils on this car when i bought it 10 years ago with 30,000 rounds on it, now has a lil over 100,000.

I changed the plugs/wires on my winter car ('99 olds cutlass) last fall...had all original with 145,000 rounds.

Comment

One more note...turns out, i did end up replacing the cat with a Hi-flo Flowmaster cat + crossover+collector; a perfect match to the Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back. Seems that the failed coil pack may have taken out the cat in the process...but what do i know about driving with one bad coil pack? I have never experienced how differently a car runs with one bad coil that feeds two cylinders...now i know. I'm used to cap+rotor ignition...i know how that runs/feels and it's different than coil packs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to get another phone
                by ssms5411
                Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                1 week ago
              • ssms5411
                Leaking front cover
                by ssms5411
                So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                2 weeks ago
              • transamtom1
                Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                by transamtom1
                Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X