Just bought this, quarter panel swap - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought this, quarter panel swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought this, quarter panel swap

I used to have a '95 Z28 conv., so this isn't my first 4th gen.
    And I had an '86 I swapped a 3.4 in to, so I'm not new to 3.4s either.

Re: Just bought this, quarter panel swap

It's a '94 with an autotragic, 303,600 miles, the crash bent the exhaust and the panhard, It was like this when I bought it and drove it home. At least it's a hardtop. It was $700, then the "new" quarter was another $125.

Comment

As weather permits, I'll be showing how I do this myself. My highest priority is making it fit right, both looks and strength. Easy is a bit less important, but I don't want unnecessary difficulty.
      This car will end up with a V8 swap.

Comment

Glad to see you saving the car, a lot of people wouldn't even consider it and let the insurance take it to the scrap yard for rear quarter damage. Sounds like you know what you're doing, good luck on the restoration.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Thanks!
          First was a new wood chisel to expose the spot welds for drilling. Then I got a sharpie to mark a few, and the sail panel on the B-pillar is a problem, so I'll probably splice and butt-weld under it rather than drilling the welds hidden by the sail panel. It was extremely stupid of GM to glue it, it needed to be unboltable. Would you glue the oil filter on? Or the spark plugs in?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just a question, do you weld the quarter panel on the use fiberglass and sand and paint? Just for future reference. In case I need to do it or someone else.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You're getting ahead of me, but I wasn't planning to do any fiberglassing for this job. So far I've just been drilling spot welds, and removing some of the metal that won't be part of the end result.
                  Also, while I'm at it, I'm fabricating an overkill hitch much like the one I fabbed for my '86 Camaro. The bulk of this design sits inside the trunk area anyway. Pics as I progress.

Comment

Sounds good, I guess I'll have to wait. Lol
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

After much labor, aggravation, frustration, cursing GM forgetting how to build a Camaro, and cutting discs for my angle grinder, here's where I'm at:

Comment

Not bad so far. I too would have avoided the sail panel area due to the glue as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your welds when it comes time to put the new quarter on!
                        aka FreedStyle
                        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Very interested to see how you're going to do this.

Off Topic, since you have experience in this... I've been thinking about that 3.4 long block going into my 3rd gen. Would the stuff from my 2.8 be a direct bolt on to a long block 3.4?

Comment

Very ambitious project. Best of luck with it. I look forward to seeing the progress and result.

Comment

I've had to revise my cuts based on what welds I couldn't drill. My welds are seldom pretty. Today will be getting the cuts to match up. I'm using a cheap stick welder from Harbor Freight, on the lowest setting, 80 amps, and HF's 3/32" electrodes, cut down to 3.87" ea.
                              Once the fit is close, I expect to find a few of the holes I drilled in each to match up well enough for a couple of bolts to keep it from falling apart long enough to make some welds. Which will need to be ground smooth.
                              2.8 Bird: Yes, no problem, check out www.thirdgen.org, they even have a sub-forum just for the V6 guys, with a couple of stickies about what you're thinking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X