L67 F-bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: L67 F-bird

Talked to my machinist and he is going to cut the stems down a bit. Passenger head contacted a few and drivers didnt. I think its so close that the tolerances are what caused it.

Hopefully get it thrown together before college starts so I can drive that until the winter.

Comment

Got the heads back, and on the motor. Just gotta get some random supplies and throw it in Saturday.

An s1x cam cannot run on stock heads. My heads had a min clearance in some spots of .510, .516/.524 lift at the valve will screw the valve seals up.

Comment

Hm... Both my 3.8 cars have had bigger lift than that on stock heads.

Comment

I ran my VS cam on stock heads and it was fine, but later on I added 105 springs and ZZP modded retainers with save .030 on lift. Now I have 130lb springs manely retainers which save .040 on lift and running 1.7 rockers. I had the valve guides cut for a .600 lift and will be running the st5 cam with the lift at .578/.570 and also have the Manely 1.90 and 1.57 valves. The stock rockers usually measure at 1.66 ratio so its a little more than the 1.6 as listed. And the stock heads are suppose to be good for .530 lift but not to sure, but if you use the modded retainers or manelys they give you more clearance which is good. I haven't looked but can you use the aftermarket retainers on LS6 springs? If you can I would.

Docta what setup did you use on your heads? I remember you had 140lb springs but what retainers and did you have the guides cut for the higher lift? I know zzp lists the rocker ratio at 1.6 so the lift on the st5 cam has to be close to .550 or more.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 08-05-2014, 11:56 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Mine was 140s, titanium retainers, and that's it. Did pushrods and lifters too. Double roller chain. Never even took the heads off.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
              Mine was 140s, titanium retainers, and that's it. Did pushrods and lifters too. Double roller chain. Never even took the heads off.
              That pretty crazy, which retainers were they manelys or zzp'?
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I was running ls6 springs with LS retainers, not sure what a modded retainer varies in vs a stock 3800 vs a LS one but you cant run 97 heads, ls6 springs with a s1x. Or at least i got unlucky, haha.

Comment

Pretty sure it was the ZZPs. I can't remember now... I know I have absolutely no issues with the engine though. Beat the piss out of it for 15k miles. Cam was definitely a big change...

Comment

Originally posted by Gutless View Post
                    I was running ls6 springs with LS retainers, not sure what a modded retainer varies in vs a stock 3800 vs a LS one but you cant run 97 heads, ls6 springs with a s1x. Or at least i got unlucky, haha.
                    Yeah I think the older heads are different, the newer heads which are the #4177 casting are suppose to be alot better. Old ones were prone to have the valve guides break which happened on mine after the engine was rebuilt in 2002. I had the VS cam installed with stock valve train and the #1 valve guide broke completely off after about 30 miles of driving. So if you have the older heads I would scrap them and get the newer casting , even ZZP and Intense won't take them in as cores because of their problems. I would check but I think the 98 and newer heads and the newer L26 heads are 4177 castings.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 08-06-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

They have been magnafluxed and 4 seats have been replaced to get rid of any light cracks between the valves. Got like $300 in them, not going anywhere. I looked for a set of 98+ before I rebuilt mine last spring but found out all of them have cracks so it doesnt really matter what year it is theres an equal chance of having issues. Just from my research at least.

Comment

Got it together today and running again. Started good, no issues like it had before.

Got some small stuff to do like zip tying some random stuff here and there, get my air filter bolted back together, align the hood, ect.

Only dilema is i cant run my window washer spray/cheap alky. I had a lot of teflon flaked off the rotors. There was reports that alky takes the teflon off but I never saw any baked up test results. I soaked my old set in a pail of window washer and it flaked off in spots and definitly made it more soft and bubbled in spots.

Time to get my walbro in and run corn!

Comment

Corn and boost were just meant to be together..

Comment

The meth/alky spray on M90's has been old knowledge about how harsh it was on the teflon coating on the rotors. It's just been conventional wisdom. The rotors lose the teflon over time anway.

The newer gen M90's are supposedly okay with this though as they run a different coating.

Comment

Got it running and driving. Got a REAL rough cold start, i think its too rich. Once its warm I can start it whenever and its great.

Not sure what changed between last fall and this summer, tunes the same and internals are the same. Had some 9 month old gas in so im going to run it a bit and see if the computer picks anything up (probably wont, only bad when its in open loop) or the new gas makes it any better.

Comment

My ECT was scaled way off and was like 100 degrees less than what it actually is. Changed that out and runs great, like it always did! Also got the rear tires changed out, had a set of early 90's weather cracked 255/45/17's original vette rears on it. Bought a complete set 18 months ago.

So its back to DD duty!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                  Had to get another phone
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Well my iPhone 11 Pro Max took a dump, it’s in a boot up loop, will try and get it fixed and give it to my mom. So I got a new iPhone 15 pro max, everything...
                                  1 week ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Leaking front cover
                                  by ssms5411
                                  So I’m still leaking coolant, I think it’s my front cover, going to double check when it’s alittle warmer, got the Zzp extra thick timing cover...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • transamtom1
                                  Went to look at 2002 V6 Firebird Vert.
                                  by transamtom1
                                  Local car on a small lot just over 100k mikes(178,000 kms)

Silver with grey leather and black top 3.8L for $5400 cdn or $3975 usd as is....
                                  3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X