Head Questions for the 3.4L 965-4082 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Questions for the 3.4L 965-4082

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Questions for the 3.4L 965-4082

Im going to replace my Heads tomorrow on my 3.4L... How long does the job take if I want to change the heads out?... Is it hard to do? What am I looking at here? They told me that my intake manifold gasket was leaking and that my heads are warped. Oh yeah and when I put the gaskets back on what side of the gasket do I put the silicone on? And should I use blue or black... I think the Manifold gasket came with black but I dunno about the head gasket

Re: Head Questions for the 3.4L 965-4082

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126636

Here's a thread that will have a lot of helpful info for you. I just did a head job on my 3.4 this past december, and it took a total of about 6-7 hours of work. Although I was only able to work on it for 30 minutes to 2 hours at a time. Just remember to keep all your bolts, nuts and everything separated and labeled.

Comment

its highly recommended that you get new head bolts. They are stretched for the final torque rate and cannot be stretched again, thus making a head gasket fail much more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit127 View Post
        its highly recommended that you get new head bolts. They are stretched for the final torque rate and cannot be stretched again, thus making a head gasket fail much more likely.
        Wow dude! Nice call! I'm sorry I forgot to bring that up. That's the reason I had to do a head job in the first place. Because the original head bolts were reused on a previous head job just before I purchase the car.

Comment

Originally posted by davidlb512 View Post
          Wow dude! Nice call! I'm sorry I forgot to bring that up. That's the reason I had to do a head job in the first place. Because the original head bolts were reused on a previous head job just before I purchase the car.
          No problem! Theres a ton of sources for these bolts too.
          NAPA, Rockauto etc etc.

I'd like to know if ARP makes studs, but I havent found any yet.

Comment

okay so they guy who was supposed to help me do this clearly hasnt shown up yet n we were supposed to start hrs ago. Im thinkin abt goin in n tryin to change out the heads myself..... is it a hard job?

Comment

I know its a lot but can somebody give me step by step instructions on doing the heads for my car... or maybe a website that shows step by step instructions?

Comment

tomRs did one not to long ago i believe...do a search for the thread.

wow, i typed in "3.4 headgasket" and this was the first thread...

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...3.4+headgasket

too easy private. use the search function
                Last edited by flamingchicken; 05-12-2010, 08:14 PM.
                Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit127 View Post
                  No problem! Theres a ton of sources for these bolts too.
                  NAPA, Rockauto etc etc.

I'd like to know if ARP makes studs, but I havent found any yet.
                  GVPerformance.com has an ARP High Performance hex head stud kit listed under the 3.4 section, but when you open it up, the description says they are for the 3800. Not sure if they are actually the same size head stud of not tho.

Comment

Well guys lemme ask how can I tell is the heads are good. I bought a set of heads from a guy that he said he'd had machined but ended havin to buy a new engine because his block had so many cracks in it. He was supposed to help me install them and no he won't answer and i'm kinda scared the heads arent worth anything... Can anybody help

Comment

I would start by checking them over for breaks and cracks.

Comment

Okay I don't seem to see any of those.... could I tell if they were warped just by looking at them?

Comment

A generic test for it would be to take a level or straight edge, and put it against the side of the head that contacts the block. Place the level in several different directions on that side too, because there are several different ways that it can warp.

Comment

Now with the heads I have sitting in my car I noticed that the little pieces that go over the valve springs have a little play in them.. Is that normal? And if so where should I place them exactly during instalation? Or should I jst let them be?

Comment

Originally posted by ThaDyce17 View Post
                              Now with the heads I have sitting in my car I noticed that the little pieces that go over the valve springs have a little play in them.. Is that normal? And if so where should I place them exactly during instalation? Or should I jst let them be?
                              I'm guessing that your talking about the rocker arms. Those will have a little bit of play to them, just make sure that when you re-install the heads, that the rocker arms are lined up with the springs again. And while your at that point, if you want a decently priced bolt-on mod that's well worth the bang you'll get out of them, purchase a set of 1.6 ratio roller rockers. Our engine comes stock with 1.5 ratio.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X