AC Compressor - Signs of Death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Compressor - Signs of Death?

There is a slight grinding noise, tiny metal shavings on the face of the pulley and an accumulation of brown dust coming from the clutches from the AC Compressor which has over 315,000 miles on it. Looks like I need to perform an AC overhaul, like asap lol.

RockAuto shows I need this PLUS other parts? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=874824

Seems I need the AC Compressor unit right away but which part number off RockAuto's website? http://www.rockauto.com/
    I just want to make sure for my '96 3.8L motor. Autozone listed their AC compressor unit at $295, I think I can do better.

I haven't used my AC much since obtaining this vehicle in 2004 which is probably why it's going. I'm one of those guys who rather sweat it out with the windows down and improve the gas mileage debate but whatever the case...I researched a lot of posts about this AC compressor unit and have dealt with the nasty bracket last year which wasn't too much of a big deal so I'd like to tackle this this weekend with your help. Thanks! :)

I'm gonna assume there is no oil in the compressor unit? Unsure if replacement units do or not. I have never serviced AC before but I can definitely install parts.
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: AC Compressor - Signs of Death?

when you take the compressor out, you need to drain the oil into a measuring cup, and go down to the auto parts store and tell them you need PAG 46 oil.

however much you drained out of the compressor is how much you put in the new one (they are shipped empty) if it is not shipped empty, then drain it, and add the same amount of oil.

DO NOT use that oil crap that you suck in with the refrigerant

Comment

get everything for less than $300 here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...Q5fAccessories

Comment

I would be very leery of where you get your compressor. I've been looking into a compressor replacment on another car and it seems these ones from the parts stores are remanufactured junk from China, and a lot of people have problems with them after about a year. When I do get a new one I'm going to GM Parts Direct, when I was looking on there the compressor for the car I'm doing was priced comparable to the parts stores.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
          I would be very leery of where you get your compressor. I've been looking into a compressor replacment on another car and it seems these ones from the parts stores are remanufactured junk from China, and a lot of people have problems with them after about a year. When I do get a new one I'm going to GM Parts Direct, when I was looking on there the compressor for the car I'm doing was priced comparable to the parts stores.
          just get one from napa.

napa sells the highest quality stuff out of all of the parts stores.

when i did my wheel bearings, napa sold them to me for 1/4 the cost than going to the chevy dealer, and 1/2 the price of gm parts direct (well, they were the same as gm parts direct, but they wanted like $50 to ship them)

they were also the same exact bearing

Comment

Yeah I agree NAPA's stuff is good. I don't know about their compressors, but they are probably fine because all of their other stuff is good. That's about the only parts store I trust any more.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

A Delphi compressor (Made In The USA) arrived today with the following parts.

Questions:
              Where do I purge the oil out to add PAG 46 oil replacement into?
              Where does the orifice tube insert into?

This Chiltons Car Care book is vague in my opinion but I'm reading on to get the basics of it.

The compressor weighs a lot so I guess there is oil to be purged but I need your help guys. This looks more like a 3 hr job maybe more but I'll be up to check back.
              Last edited by 96RS Alex; 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM.
              Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

the orifice tube goes into the bottom AC line coming out of the evaporator.

Comment

take the bolt out thats on the first picture under where it says delphi

its rare that they are shipped with oil in them, since theres a high chance it will leak out

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

The old guy at AutoZone told me exactly where to put the new oil in and yes it's that 15mm nut. I loosened up that nut and found the compressor totally dry.

I went back and bought 8oz of PAG oil as you recommended but another thought came to mind about how much to add.

When I remove the old compressor, which had no signs of oil leakage, I'll drain & measure the old oil and measure that then add the same amount of new PAG46 oil into the new compressor but what about adding any to the accumulator if at all? I'm asking because I want to do this right the first time.

I take it each O-ring seals and gaskets belong to the ports below? Especially the O-rings which are differently sized. Man I feel like a newbie!

Comment

good deal. about the accumulator, im not too sure.. hopefully someone on here can help you with that.

i got into a fight with the guy at advance because he told me that the ac system uses refrigerant and not oil.. thankfully i found it behind the counter and asked for it.

you have the seals correct for the compressor, but once again, i have never changed my accumulator, so i havent a clue.. i would play around with them and im sure you can figure out which one goes where.

good luck!

Comment

Update: In this pic, I managed to wrestle the old aluminum accumulator/drier out with the help of a vise grip, ChannelLock pliers and a good penetrant like CRC's Knock 'Er Loose. The 3 green O-rings supplied with my kit didn't help me much as only 2 old black ones were removed for replacement and one green one fit therefore it was neccessary to find an extra O-ring of a smaller diameter.
                        Green O-rings must be coated with PAG46 oil for preventative measures.

I still am curous whether to add PAG46 oil in this new accumulator/drier...anyone?

Comment

I would just dump the oil out of the old accumulator and then add the same amount to the new accumulator. You don't have to be too precise because one purpose of the accumulator is to hold extra oil. It just pools in the bottom. Of course you don't want to flood the thing, but I'm sure it's not too hard to get an approximation.

Comment

Apparently there the accumulator/ drier was dry upside down.

Well the compressor was removed, what a pain in the azz but it required that you disconnect the upper and lower AC lines connected to the accumulator.

I also had to remove the battery and move the negative battery harness out from its retaining clips because the harness is actually elongated and tucked between the rear AC tubes that goes into the rear of the compressor. The removal process was finally done.

Comment

Removal of the rear AC tubes from the compressor.

Draining and measuring the old PAG oil, it was dirty at 315,500.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X