Tublar exhaust manifolds on a 97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tublar exhaust manifolds on a 97

Been lurking here waiting on my account to be activated. Will a set of the 99+ tublar manifolds work on a 97? I did a search and all I found was about headers. I'm sure they will bolt up to the engine and all, but do they fall in the same place for the crossover pipe? According to GMPD catalog the crossover pipe is the same for 95-01 3.8s. Just wondering if anyone has done it?

I bought the car a 97 firebird with a blown engine and I'm in the middle of swapping it out for a 06 grand prix engine, just looking to make a small improvement while its out. Cant really afford headers, so not looking to go that direction at all. Unless someone has a set really cheap!

Re: Tublar exhaust manifolds on a 97

they should fit

Comment

Originally posted by bluex View Post
      Been lurking here waiting on my account to be activated. Will a set of the 99+ tublar manifolds work on a 97? I did a search and all I found was about headers. I'm sure they will bolt up to the engine and all, but do they fall in the same place for the crossover pipe? According to GMPD catalog the crossover pipe is the same for 95-01 3.8s. Just wondering if anyone has done it?

I bought the car a 97 firebird with a blown engine and I'm in the middle of swapping it out for a 06 grand prix engine, just looking to make a small improvement while its out. Cant really afford headers, so not looking to go that direction at all. Unless someone has a set really cheap!

No. The crossover pipe is different. The drop for the tubular manifolds is less then the log type manifolds. No gains to be had between the two anyway.
      sigpic

Comment

It can be done, but will require modification to the A/C tubes coming off the back of the A/C compressor. The lines were changed to provide clearance for the tubular headers. Do a search - this has been discussed before. However, the effort is not worth gains.

Been I bought the car a 97 firebird with a blown engine and I'm in the middle of swapping it out for a 06 grand prix engine, just looking to make a small improvement while its out. Cant really afford headers, so not looking to go that direction at all. Unless someone has a set really cheap!
        I hope the GP engine is the NA version, and not the S/C one.

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I did do a search as I said. All I found was threads dealing with swapping to headers or the gains that could be had from them. I tried every key word I could think of searching for over 45 mins before I posted this. If you know where the thread is, point it out...

Yes the GP engine is NA. I read all about that while I was waiting a month for my account to be activated so I could post.

Thanks for the info that it is not worth the trouble. I will save that $$ then. :D
          Last edited by bluex; 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM.

Comment

i just did the series 3 swap, its a pain!!!! lol, have fun!
            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Well, I have a set of manifolds on the way thanks to pewter02camaro.

Since I have been searching for days and have only found the same information already stated in this thread with no pictures or further information about why this is not worth the effort, I'm going to take the opportunity since this thread has been made a sticky and document what exactly needs to be done to install these.

I will not be doing any dyno time to see if there are any gains. I dont have the $$ for any of that. I know its not going to be any huge gains anyway. I do think it will be worth the effort though, espically with my series III swap with the larger exhaust valve. My bet is 5 hp at most.....

Please try and keep this tread as informative as possible so others can see what all is needed to do this and determine for themselves if they want to or not.

Thanks,
              Paul

Comment

Here are the differences in the a/c lines. I know the picture for the 97 is correct, but I'm not sure about the 01. The pictures are from auto zones web site. Note the difference in the ends that attach to the condensor and dryer. They are different, so swapping lines would mean swapping everything else.
                Attached Files

Comment

Ok mocked up both sets to check the differences between the two. The tubular manifolds Come down about 2" lower and about 3" back towards the bellhousing.

Pictures of the passenger side are attached.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Here are pictures of the dr side.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The EGR and Y-pipe connections are different as well. I did manage to bend the EGR and get it to fit, but not without cracking the pipe....

I will cut the Y-pipe to fit and have it rewelded at the local muffler shop. In the picture this is the dr side. I have the pipe bolted up to the pass side as it would be normally. I'm going to wait until everything is in the car before I make any changes to the pipe. I'm probably going to have to take some out of the overall length of it as well since the tubular manifolds come back farther on the engine.
                      Attached Files

Comment

good work.
                        Dave:
                        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

If you had the stock ypipe that went to the tubular manifolds those should bolt and fit, right? There wouldnt be any modding for that I assume.

Comment

correct^^^

Also Bluex, wanted to reming you that the driver side flange is tapped 1/4-20 while the passenger side remained stock thread for the stock bolts. Reason being the bolts broke off in the drivers side and i had to drill and tap it. Just wanted to remind you if had forgotten.

Jeff
                            Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 10-08-2010, 11:02 AM.
                            Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                            Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                            Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                            Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                            Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Thanks I had forgotten that. I'll pick up a bolt locally, I didnt see any in the package.

Ran into another issue yesterday. The Oil Level dipstick will not fit with the tubular manifolds. Tried bending the tube to get it to work then the dipstick itself wouldnt go through it. Right now I'm using the one from the 06 GP that my new engine came from. Not sure if the level will be right on the stick or not but it will do until I can locate at 00+ camaro/bird one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X