John D. Power wrap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John D. Power wrap question

Ok, so here's my issue. As many of you know I now have a powerdyne setup on my car. I want to utilize the John D power wrap but I do not have a pully driven water pump, I have a mizeire pump. This will reduce my belt wrap on my crank pully to almost nothing, or at least it looks that way. Is this going to cause lots of belt slip on the crank pully? Are my only options; use standard belt routing or go back to a belt driven water pump? What percentage of wrap do i need on the crank pully at a minmum? I am using a
    9lb/ 2.9 inch pully. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 11-15-2010, 11:56 PM.
    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Re: John D. Power wrap question

If you can show me the pulley diagram again , I think I had a way of routing the belt without the water pump pulley on.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      If you can show me the pulley diagram again , I think I had a way of routing the belt without the water pump pulley on.
      Borrowed from Grayman's site.

I believe there was an old thread about the same problem back in '04-'05. A member had an electric waterpump and was trying to figure out how to get better wrap around the crank pulley. Not sure how it was worked out, if it was successfully.
      '99 Camaro
      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I got it. From that diagram I would take the belt from the WP pulley all the way around the SC. The belt from the AC would go straight the left of the idler pulley then to the tensioner. It works out in my head at least but I've been drinking.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Alt. , Crank, AC, SC, pulley, tensioner, pretty much the only way unless you put the stock water pump back on.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Blizz, i will have to give that a look and see if it will work.

Pace, i'll have to see if i can find that thread.

Steve, i think your right, will have to see ...

As of right now i have it setup with the standard belt routing.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
              Alt. , Crank, AC, SC, pulley, tensioner, pretty much the only way unless you put the stock water pump back on.
              What about power steering?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Without the WP pulley the CP would only get 30% coverage from the belt. If you go the traditional Vector Perf. set up you can get away from not having the WP pulley, but the belt coverage for the SC pulley would only be 40% vs. the 60% coverage that it gets from JD Wrap.

If you want you can rig a pulley tensioner between the AC and the Crank pulley.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Does anyone have an actual pic of all the pulleys including the super charger?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                    Does anyone have an actual pic of all the pulleys including the super charger?
                    Pace posted it above, the only thing missing is the stock tensioner, which is down and to the right of the alt.

Comment

personally, id go back to the stock pump. worked best for me (and i had the elec. pump at one time too).
                      Dave:
                      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                        Pace posted it above, the only thing missing is the stock tensioner, which is down and to the right of the alt.
                        :twak:

Uhhhh... I see a drawing some kindergartner made but no actual pictures as requested.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                          :twak:

Uhhhh... I see a drawing some kindergartner made but no actual pictures as requested.
                          Picture on page 6 is the best I can find.

http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/media/MCAANDA.pdf
                          '99 Camaro
                          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Thanks for the pics pace. I still can't quite tell if my idea would work, I'm kinda thinking it won't. If the top of the SC pulley would clear the top of the balancer on the way to the bottom of the PS pulley it would work but I just can't tell.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

So I had all kinds of PITA belt slip on sunday. Low quality autozone brand belt which streched quite a bit, My pully is not cross cut, soon to be fixed, and the fact that all the belt slack/lack of tension is due to fact that mounted close to end of the belt track. By this i mean the fact that the balancer spins clockwise thus creating the most tension following the belt in a counterclockwise i.e. most tension on the water pump ( in my case the water pumps pully does not exist) then the power steering then the alternator then the ac then the blower and back to the crank. With the standard John_D power wrap the blower and the AC trade places. This shifts more tension to the blower, which helps quite a bit, but it does not remedy it. So was looking at the belt routing tonight planning to go with the usual john_d power wrap when it hit me. If i modify the lower bracket,threaded rod sleeve with a sort of U bracket to give the belt clearence to go from the water pump pully right to the ac then the blower i will have placed the blower closer to the begining of the tension "train" so to speak. I will be reinstalling the stock water pump to do this. With two of the accesories before the blower it should help to all but eliminate any slack before it reaches the blower as you mash the gas, because it is the initial jerk on the crank that creates the slack even with the belt cranked way the hell down, that allows the blower pully to begin to slip in the first place.
                              Im gonna try and make the bracket tomorrow at work. I will keep you all posted. Also i included an updated power wrap picture, that inclludes the revision, this will only work if i can make a braket to clear the belt as it gos from the water pump to the AC.

I will keep you all posted on the developments as they happen. And as always any input is greatly appreciated. :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X