Pinion Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion Seal

I've been watching seepage from my pinion seal for nearly a year now. Now it has become a full leak, there is diff oil all over the underside of the car near the front of the diff, but no drips in the garage.

I've got my haynes and I did some youtubing (theres a good video of a guy changing a pinion seal on a GMC) and I wanted to run a list of what I'll need to do the job by you guys, because I won't have a way to get to the parts store this time while the bird is out of commission.

-New pinion seal
    -New pinion nut
    -Large socket for pinion nut (anyone know how big - 32mm? auto 2000 3.8L, no posi)
    -Chisel / grease pencil for marking pinion, nut, U-joint flange
    -RTV for pinon seal and flange splines
    -Torque wrench (in-lbf)
    -Puller to take u-joint flange off

Anything else? Has anyone who has done one of these have any tips?

Re: Pinion Seal

Sounds about right.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

u sound like you got it covered. My mechanic did mine for free while it was on the lift for exhaust. I guess it is something kinda quick
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Yea it seems simple. But there is the possibility of ruining the diff from under/over tightening the pinion nut at the end, so I thought I'd ask for any pointers. I'll take some pics and do a writeup while I'm at it.

Comment

Just make sure you TQ the pinion bolt to spec.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by IceHammer View Post
            -RTV for pinon seal and flange splines
            RTV?

Use thread sealer on the splines of the pinion and yoke. The pinion seal doesn't require any RTV either.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X