This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Crib Jack-Stands

Hi All... just thought I would share this with the community.

I know that steel jack stands, properly used, are very safe. But I just always feel queezy getting underneath the car with them, especially when I need all four wheels off, and especially here in earthquake prone southern california. I like to be able to enjoy life when I work on my car, so I saw a version of these cribs on some other forums and decided to make my own. I also was going to do some suspension work, and need to have the suspension fully loaded while being able to get under there and tighten bolts.

While I was putting them together, I also had the thought to make four custom risers for putting under the subframes. They "lock" in place by slipping into the cradle where the wheel sits. You can shake the bejezzus out of the car, and the cribs dont even creak.

They are 16"x 21" by 10.5" tall, put together with exterior wood glood and 2.5" ext. screws. I drilled holes for all the screws so as not to split the wood. Total cost was around $75 and took about 6 hours to make.

My jack goes up to 19.5" inches and this is enough to get it up that high.

Attached Files
    Last edited by kuklish; 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM.

Re: Wood Crib Jack-Stands

Brilliant!!!

Comment

Looks good.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What a fantastic camera. In a world where its obvious people are taking these pictures with their toaster, thats awesome. Also, sweet looking stands. Thats how a lot of people take the engine out of their car. Nice work
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Not a bad idea,....till you have to actually get under the car or remove a wheel. Strength isn't the issue as much as the space you lose to move around under the car.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird
          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
            Not a bad idea,....till you have to actually get under the car or remove a wheel. Strength isn't the issue as much as the space you lose to move around under the car.
            Space looks good to me. You can drop a driveshaft with that.

Comment

The space under the car is absolutely cavernous, that''s not an issue at all; I've seen parts of my car I didn't know were there. The space they take up in the garage? Well that's another story, and I may have to make planter boxes or a table out of them or something in their downtime.

Thanks for the comments about the camera, FlamingChicken. Its a Cannon 5D Mark II, unfortunately, it doesn't make toast.

Comment

Very nice job. And super safe too.

Comment

Wow those are pretty cool, and really stable lookin, good work. How long did those take to make?

Comment

If you make an assembly line you could probably do it in 3 to 4 hours.

Comment

So are these woods bolted together or you just stack them?

I notice that one layer is bolted.

Comment

I drilled one 1/8th in hole in each end of each board... then applied a liberal amount of glue then stacked and screwed each board on the stack one by one. No bolts.

Could have done a big through bolt with a threaded rod in each corner. That would be a good way to do it, and they could be easily taken apart that way.

On the subframe risers, I will probably make a little 3/4" plywood pad on the very top, and just screw it on, as the 2x4 gets a little chewed up. Plus, the extra height would make the car more level.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                          Hello everyone!
                          by Andy H
                          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • 3.4 slow to go
                          hey there strangers!
                          by 3.4 slow to go
                          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                          2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X