water/meth failsafes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water/meth failsafes

just curious what failsafes, people who are using water meth have implemented, i just bought ssms## legacy coolingmist progressive control. it won't probably won't be installed for a bit. cuz, i've got to many projects and not enough time or money, but i'll be working on it slowly. i've got a couple of ideas floating around. but wanted to see what people have done.

Re: water/meth failsafes

What do you mean by fail safes? I have mine turning on at 10 lbs of boost for added protection for the stock pistons.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is feasible on your setup or not, but I recently put a meth setup on a 2011 Corvette and we used the IAT sensor as a sort of fail-safe. I relocated the IAT sensor to a location downstream from the meth injection nozzles. In that location, the intake air temps would drop when the meth sprayed. In the tune, spark is directly related to the IAT readings, so we only adjusted the spark advance in the areas where the IAT readings were lower due to the meth. This way, if the meth doesn't spray for some reason, the additional spark isn't there because the air temps don't drop.
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

By failsafe I mean cutting boost/ dropping timing in case of meth pump failure. I want to incorporate the iat but I'll hafta get it after the Maf some way or another. I'm also looking at using a switch that has a trigger when meth pressure drops. Was gonna use that along with a gm boost solenoid. Like a relay to switch from boost controller levels to waste Gate spring levels

Comment

Could the iat go into the upper intake ? Or would readings be way off?

Comment

In my 81 Olds cutlass with a carbed turbo 3.8 I have meth injection and have a big light in my center console. When the pump is pumping the light is on and if the pump ever dies the light will shut off so when Im over 4psi and dont see the light somethings wrong. Sorta a safety mechanism.

Comment

what about converting to the ls1 maf and moving the maf futher down the intake piping, spray just after it, and run the IAT kinda where the MAF used to be in our cars?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Im watching this thread. I just purchaced a alky kit today to help ease my high intake temps when drag racing. Im not getting the kit to add more boost or HP. Im getting the kit for the piece of mind that it will have lower IAT temps, less chance for random KR, and just over all saftey on my engine.

Alky injection was designed way back in the day for safety in a bad enviroment, not massive Hp increase by itself IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

I do want to add a saftey device though and as I have a boost silenoid controling my PSI level through the ecm, I plan to incorporate that so that the boost would cut out to the wastegate spring PSI in the event that the alky system dies.
                Last edited by fasteddi; 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I put the IAT on the Corvette in the intake manifold behind the throttle body.
                  -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

the reason i want to have failsafe, is because i intend on using the water/meth to make extra power/enable me to run more boost. not just for cushion while using boost.
                    i took a look at my car tonight, since i've deleted my egr system, would the spot on the intake manifold where the exhaust gas gets plumbed back in be a good place for the iat? i've never had the intake off and i don't know what it looks like underneath. i think its a pretty simple sensor and you can get universal ones. with threads. i could tap the block off plate and not even have to remove the UIM
                    LETZRIDE i've thought about using the ls1 maf but i dont understand how to scale it and all that
                    fasteddi- how is that you are able to adjust your boost through your ecm?

i intend on doing something along these lines.. except i'm not really using a boost controller.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/water-a...fail-safe.html
                    i'm not sure if i'm going to use a level float for a failsafe or just connect it to an led... but i'll figure it out

i'm using the 2 input wastegate with pressure regulator that is shown in the link below. so that i can use a small psi spring.. 4psi and adjust it as high as i like.

http://www.sr20-forum.com/informatio...-up-boost.html
                    Last edited by thebeewantsboost; 06-04-2012, 11:06 PM.

Comment

If the sensor is to be used the way I did, then it really needs to be directly in the air path that the meth will follow. As long as the sensor sticks far enough into the intake and into the air path, then using the EGR blockoff plate should work.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X