f-body in the snow and all that nasty northern winter weather - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

f-body in the snow and all that nasty northern winter weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f-body in the snow and all that nasty northern winter weather

well I have a feeling my job search is coming to an end and it looks like I will be taking a job in cincinnati. At least that is the most promising thing I have right now.
    So I'm gonna have to spend a couple of years there at least until I can gain experience (as an IT auditor) before I can try to find a position in a warmer climate. I have spent all my life in louisiana and it just doesn't snow here so my car hasn't been any kind of problem. Well if I do move up there I'm wondering if I am gonna have to buy a winter beater. I still don't know if I do have to buy something whether that will be the end of my firebird or not but I'm thinking it might.
    Now that I have given that exceedingly long explination I have a question for all you northerners. How will I fare with my firebird in the vast snowy wasteland?

I was thinking if I have to get rid of the car I might go with a used subaru or something like that, just dunno. Any advice is appreciated.

I have put soooo much time and energy into this car I planned on keeping it for several more years and using my motorcycle as a primary form of transportation well if I'm up north I obvioiusly won't be riding much in the winter.
    :( :(
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

depends on how bad the snow is. i got my car in january. didnt get much of a chance to drive it in the snow ( i bought it wrecked so i didnt wonna drive it like that )

but anyway, my brother used to have a 96 firebird. it was a posi and a auto. with good ( studded ) snow tires, and about 60-65lbs of sand ( you can use anything as long as it fits) he drive it all year round for 2 years. as long you dont floor it everywhere, take your time your'll be fine. we always left early for school though, becuase we had to go alot slower.

hills can be some trouble, get lots of speed before the hill. if youre a decent driver with a stick you should be fine. i intend to drive mine all year round.( when i turn 16 and the car is finally fixed)
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

heres some links to the same question on ls1tech.

keep in mind these cars are putting down alot more power than you, so there obviously going to be worse in the snow.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...riving+in+snow

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread...riving+in+snow
      1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Last winter I got stuck out in the snow in southern PA and it sucked. Driving up hills was interesting because the car was sideways the whole time. I didn't have weight in the back and I wasn't running snow tires (which I plan to do this year), so that was most of the problem. There are other cool cars out there that would be better in the snow. If you have to maybe just buy a cheap $900 car to get you through the first winter and see if you can handle driving the bird in the snow.

Comment

honestly.... if youve never driven in the snow and ice, it doesnt matter what you buy, it will take some getting used to. Thats why you see dumbasses in giant 4 wheel drive SUV plowed into ditches all over the place. They think that their land tank knows no obsticles and drive the same as they do when the raod is bare.

with that said, after putting a posi into my bird and a decent set of tires (no sand, just keep my gas tank full) im comfortable with up to 6" of standing snow on the road. more than that, I would need to mount a plow blade on the front. I drive mine year round in any weather.

The second gear start is a nice feature in the automatics, and if your running a manual, start in 2 to keep your tires from spinning from a stop.
          \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Originally posted by black98V6:
            How will I fare with my firebird in the vast snowy wasteland?

I have put soooo much time and energy into this car I planned on keeping it for several more years and using my motorcycle as a primary form of transportation well if I'm up north I obvioiusly won't be riding much in the winter.
            :( :(
            Haha, Cincy's not exactly a snowy wasteland... [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] . I used to drive my Bird year round with 255's an LSD and a 5spd. Just get you a FWD beater for the winter months. We don't get THAT much snow here.
            2000 GTP<br />Pulley, Intake<br />ET - 14.02<br />Trap - 97.15

Comment

I spent last winter in Southwestern Pa, lots of small hills, and snowed a few inches every couple days. GO SLOW!!!

I also drove through the 17inches they had in Columbus OH, as it was coming down, there was a good 4 inches of slush on I-270, it was even hitting under the car. I eventually got off main roads into the residential area, well I got 2 streets away from my destination before my car turned into a giant snow plow. Had to park it and walk. No other vehicles had gone down the street I got stuck on. And the snow was 16 inches, I happened to have a tapemeasure in the car, lol.

When there is just a little bit on the road, it can still be dangerous, actually most dangerous. At least with deep snow it can give you some traction.

btw- I had summer high performance tires on it during all the winter driving.

Comment

light fluffy snow is fine.

nicklz prolly would have been fine if he had weight in the back and good tires. you wouldnt belive what me and my brother had to go through to get to school. 5-6 inches was average to go through every morning. hardest part is getting started, and stopping...and turning.

Comment

Winters aren't too bad in Southern Ohio. Just take it easy your first time out. When the first snow comes take your car out into a vacant parking lot and let it loose. That's the way I learned to handle my car and truck.
                  1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

snows not to bad if you've driven in it before and its no more than 6 inches, but its the ice and stuff that goes with it that can be a pain. last winter we had rain freez on the roads and that was not fun.

i try to stay down hill and on the main roads as much as i can. i put two 60lbs sand bags in the back and with a full tank it really helps. just use 2nd gear when u start off and make sure to take ur time. don't accelerate hard, and keep it steady through turns.

Comment

I learned how to drive at the age of 12 plowing snow, and I won't ever drive a camaro in the winter again. Granted, we get a hell of a lot more snow here than you would in OH, but on the same token, you'll want to be prepared.

If you do drive the camaro, a good set of snow tires on all 4 corners, a couple sand bags in the trunk for weight, and a set of chains for the rear tires just in case. Plus, there's more than just traction to worry about. Do you like your paint? If so, don't drive it in the winter. Sand & salt will destroy your paint in very short order. Otherwise, get a FWD beater for $1k-2k and not worry about it.
                      <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

slats not that bad if you wash your car after the streets clear up, we've had our jeep since '93 and its the main snow car and the paint is still nice and shinny, minus dings and chips.

Comment

Best is a small FWD winter beater.

But if you're going to drive an fbody in the winter, you need four (4) real snow tires. Not "all-season", real snow tires. I believe they have a snowflake and a mountain on the sidewall. Blizzaks are the original, now there's a lot of them.

V6Bob in Denver
                          2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce:
                            minus dings and chips.
                            Exactly. The one winter I drove my old '96 Camaro in the winter and it got a bunch of chips in the paint. It was still shiney & nice, but was all chipped up.
                            <b>Trucks</b> <br />\'05 Dodge 3500 Dually <i>Cummins Turbo Diesel</i><br />\'98 Dodge 2500 4x4 <i>360 V8 (Wife\'s)</i><br /><b>Toys</b><br />\'81 Chevy K10 <i>Stroker/Swampers/Custom Suspension/1-Tons/Beadlocks</i><br />\'99 Camaro Z28 <i>6 Spd, T-tops, Borla</i><br /><br /><b>Real trucks don\'t have spark plugs</b>

Comment

I bought a bravada
                              Mystic Teal Metallic
                              ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X