one tenth of a second equals how many car lengths? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

one tenth of a second equals how many car lengths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one tenth of a second equals how many car lengths?

i know there are a lot of factors like how fast you are going yadda yadda yadda, but i kind of want to know this. i don't think that one tenth of a second is 1 car length...seems to me it would be shorter than that...like .5 to 3/4s of a car length. anyone have any suggestions?
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

One.
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Yup what he said, in theory
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Agreed, I third that..
        2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
        1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
        2011 Cadillac CTS-V
        2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
        2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Bascially one.
          [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
          *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

Comment

It depends on the speed you are going. Just convert MPH to MPsecond, then convert miles to feet. so you will have how many feet per second. Then measure you car to how long it is. That is if you are bored. ;)

DEE

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: DEE97GTP ]</p>
            1997 GTP(13.3@104)-Sold<br />1999 Trans Am M6

Comment

90 MPH = .025 MPS

.025 MPS = 132 FPS

CAR LENGTH = 193.2 IN = 16.1 FT

132 FPS / 16.1 FT = 8.2 CAR LENGTHS

132 FPS / 1000 = .132 SECONDS PER CAR LENGTH

SO...

at 90 mph, if you are approx. 8.2 car lengths in front of another car, then you are theoretically 1 second faster than that person (even though the speed of that person is not calculated in). so therefore, for every car lenth you are behind someone, they are .132 seconds faster than you--if your rate is 90 mph.

there, i think i figured it out [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, since this is a v6 board we will assume a 90mph trap speed.

That is 132 ft. per second. One tenth of a second is 13.2 ft. The length of an F-Body is roughly 193 inches, which is 16.1 ft.

blah blah blah,

at a 90mph trap speed one tenth is only good for .8 car lengths, or 4/5 :D :D :D

Just for fun, lets work backwards to find out what exact speed will give 1 car length per tenth of a second.

16.1 ft, times 10 is 161 ft/sec. *60*60/5280

gives you 109mph! So if you are trapping at 109mph then you can say one car lenth is a tenth. ok im done, haha

warning: these calculations are based on the length of a '99 Firebird, reader beware that calculations will be off with any other model car.... [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Comment

wow, you and i make a great team beast :D :D :D

Comment

Guess you guys were bored!! hehe... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

DEE
                    1997 GTP(13.3@104)-Sold<br />1999 Trans Am M6

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Guess you guys were bored!! hehe...
                      DEE

<hr></blockquote>

nah, i'm a multitalented person and do math in the back of my head while i'm talking to 30 people on instant messenger...(omg i was soooo bored dee!)

[img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                        Hello everyone!
                        by Andy H
                        Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • 3.4 slow to go
                        hey there strangers!
                        by 3.4 slow to go
                        been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                        3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X