Complete Front-End Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Front-End Conversion

I like the 98-02 front ends so much better, but i have a 96. I want to find the front end off a donor car or something and swap it out. I was looking at a 98 next to my 96 and it looked like the fenders were almost identical besides the little cut-out for the headlights. I could save myself some money if i didn't have to replace my fenders. That would be just the hood, bumper and headlights right? Is there anything special that i have to replace besides that? And can i convert my fenders to the 98+ style?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: Complete Front-End Conversion

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=65579
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Thanks a ton that really helps out!

I want to do that for sure, but i would like to know if my hood would work on the 98-02 cars. I mean, i know the lines won't line up or anything, but like, if it will still close and not look absolutely terrible, i would want to save up for a SS hood. otherwise i would just find a cheaper one and sell my old front end.
      sigpic
      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I don't think so. I think there is interference with the headlights.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

before u do the swap just save the mone yuntil u get the ss hood man... that way u can do it all in one go and it wont look liek **** till u get the other hood u know.. i doubt thatd fit on with 98 lights anyways
          <a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/a371/boyoi/firebird/?sc=1\" target=\"_blank\">My FireBird</a> K&N intake,Gutted cat, glass pack muffler.........Lots more to come...... <br />Getting my exhaust soon :)Rumbler Exhaust w/ Hooker\'s Headers :)

Comment

yeah, i was thinking that too, but with the ss hood priced so high, i might just get the regular hood and save to eventually replace with the SS. the cheapest ss hood i've found is like $900 whereas the regular ones go for around $250ish that is more appealing to me.

As for the fenders, i keep looking at them and thinking they are virtually the same..does anyone know if they are? or if i could just cut out that little section for the headlights and call it good?
            sigpic
            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I have a 96 camaro and did the conversion . The fenders are not the same and will not fit the new headlights , the hood is not interchangable you have to get another one . I found it easyier to buy all the brackets i needed from gm parts direct . i made up a list onf required part # if i could find it agian i'll post it .

It's very simple to do once you have all the parts together . i got the hood from a guy for like $25 bucks . fenders and front nose, and headlights from a local swap meet . In all it probably cost me $500. plus the paint to paint the car . it came out good .

the faq on the message board only covers the firebird . some one should write one for the camaro .

Comment

post pictures so we can see

Comment

yeah, pictures would be appriciated.

I was hoping to get my conversion done for about that price too, but then if i sold my old front end i could probably end up paying at least for some of the price of painting it..that is if i'm not lucky enough to find my parts already black. I've seen some pre painted black bumpers and stuff on ebay and i was thinking about buying them as i see them and eventually holding all the peices to start the conversion.
                  sigpic
                  1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                  --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425550

theres one with pictures for the camaro.
                    '99 Camaro Y87 M5 T-tops
                    Flowmaster american thunder cat back, 2.5" magnaflow high flow cat, centerforce dual friction clutch

Car Domain

Comment

i didnt really take any pictures when i did it . but i do have before and after pics. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2068411

Comment

... i see before... but what about the after?
                        sigpic
                        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

ttry it now . i had to go snap some pics of it . i wash it tommorow and get some better ones

Comment

wow, that looks great. How much did that cost you when it was all said and done? (including any paint)

forgot to add: did you sell your old front end to make the total price a little lower?
                            sigpic
                            1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                            --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I tryed to sell it but nobody was intrested in it . The paint was like $300 and it was a middle of the road paint . it's a base clear . it's the second car i've ever painted . i couldnt find anyone to teach me how to paint . so i tought myself. I've painted a cuple (spl) of truck sense then .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X