thoughts on true duels!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on true duels!?

i am thiking off offing my 3" borla and stock headers for pacesetters and a x-pipe or h-pipe so bacaly all i need to know is.

Coated headers w/y-pipe
    Should i lose the y-pipe all together or use part of it?
    Go with X or H pipe!!??
    ill worry about mufflers later

Re: thoughts on true duels!?

if you search here, your find most people will tell you not to do it. if you search over at ls1tech, everyone will tell you to do it.

personally, id love to hear clips of true duals on our motor's. i belive Dominic did it, but took it off due to the annoying sound level. im not sure what mufflers he used so that could have been most of the problem. someone else did it on their heads and cam car, i think he used 2.25 pipes and said he thought it was a tad to big if im not mistaken.

if i were to do it, id keep the pacesetter Y and just modify it. id use an H pipe ( better sound than X, and with a v6 you need all the help you can get ) and id use 2" piping. id definatly run cats on the set-up,and run the whole system out the back, id probally go under the axle even though you can easyly fit the pipes over the axle on the passenger side.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

If i were doing this i would get coated headers, not use the y pipe and use 3inch piping into an x pipe. No cats, and probably two borla xr1 mufflers, they are light and freeflowing and have a good sound, oh and inexpensive. i would also dump the exhaust almost at the rear axle, so no tips.

Comment

Originally posted by silversixx
        If i were doing this i would get coated headers, not use the y pipe and use 3inch piping into an x pipe. No cats, and probably two borla xr1 mufflers, they are light and freeflowing and have a good sound, oh and inexpensive. i would also dump the exhaust almost at the rear axle, so no tips.
        3" duals make ls1's lose bottom end noticeablely, i wouldnt even want to think of what they'd do to a v6. and dumping the exhuast will rattle/shake the whole car, drone more than out the back, and he'll loose more low end power. single 3" is pushing it ona v6, 3" duals is just silly. 2-2.25" is the only way to go. if v8 guys loose low end power with 3" duals we wouldnt have ANY low end power with them.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Yea your right, I have a 3'' borla exhaust on mine but its not true dual. Take back what i said about th4e three inch. But keep what i said about the rest of the set up. It will be loud but you will have more power.

Comment

pretty much what i was thinking 2-2.25" piping. where can i find a 2" h-pipe i dont think summit even has that?

loser. why would you run cats?

ill have to dump it for now but rear tips are a must. GFX wount look the same without them.

I want mufflers that dont just scream volume . but have more off a bassy sound a low rumble.

Whats the diffenence in a H-pipe and X-pipes sound? i want rumbly bassy exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by 01PewterDropTop
              pretty much what i was thinking 2-2.25" piping. where can i find a 2" h-pipe i dont think summit even has that?

loser. why would you run cats?

ill have to dump it for now but rear tips are a must. GFX wount look the same without them.

I want mufflers that dont just scream volume . but have more off a bassy sound a low rumble.

Whats the diffenence in a H-pipe and X-pipes sound? i want rumbly bassy exhaust

if you cant find a 2" H pipe any where any muffler shop, or even your self can make one easy.

id run cats to keep the volume down a little,wont smell like gas, and to kill alot of the rasp. ( if you dump the duals without cats your car WILL smell like gas inside and outside the car.)

muffler are a little tough with dumped duals due to the space, your basicly limited to bullets. if you go out the back you can find a 2 pipe inlet and 2 pipe out let, or run 2 more bullets, or even run those borla mufflers that someone suggested, and magnaflow has mufflers that will fit back there. popular choices are dynomax bullets, moroso bullets, The more common chambered mufflers are flowmaster single chambers and sweet thunders. Borla XR-1 mufflers are good, Maganflow has something similar i think.

difference in X and H is x will produce slightly more power, but most people prefer the sound of H over X. i found clips comparing them on ls1sounds, h sounds alot better IMO. ill see if i can dig them up. untill then, you can go to ls1sounds.com and click on true duals. yea they're v8's but the difference between X and H is all your looking for really.
              Last edited by loser; 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Use the cat.s it will help you with your low end torque prob. that you will have even tho you are useing a 2.25 system. I am also making my true dual set up in the next few months. here is a site to help ya. "Loser" Has help me on this subject and has alot of knowledge.
                http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531756

Comment

here is Dominics e-mail about his system

To save room I used twin sweet thunder chambered mufflers at first, later adding some 12" bullets in the rear, and neither one of them was tolerable at any speed besides WOT and idle. The drone was absolutely unbearable, but at WOT it was wicked sounding. I ripped it off within a week for fear of going deaf in my daily driver. Performance wise, it felt like a loss. I literally cut the Y pipe and made each header bank come straight back and around the transmission like on an LS1, and then ran 2.25" tubing back further all the way out the rear, and it barely fit. Furthermore, placing hangers was horrible and one got placed by the shop under my seat and it rattled the car badly at speed.

I went from that to my best loud setup I had, which not only sounded better, meaner, and less raspy, which is a Magnaflow LT1 system with a Bullet muffler in the I-pipe to control rasp + high flow cat. Absolutely awesome when I did that, but a bit loud after a while. I changed that to an SS Muffler and I'm 100% happy... It's so throaty and low, mean, no rasp, and still echos only when I get on it.

If you want to see pictures of how I did mine I can send them, but boy do I not recommend it. You will gain nothing but weight on your car doing true dual. Hell, I bet a cutout sounds just as good if all you want is noise, and it would flow better. I hope this isnt your daily driver.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by gotchocmilk39
                    Use the cat.s it will help you with your low end torque prob. that you will have even tho you are useing a 2.25 system. I am also making my true dual set up in the next few months. here is a site to help ya. "Loser" Has help me on this subject and has alot of knowledge.
                    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531756
                    that link is a great help,altough thats oriented towards ls1's alot of the info is the same. just the pipe sizing has to be changed to a smaller size for us. ive heard an ls1 with mid length headers, no cats , h pipe and flowmaster chamber 1's. altought im not a huge fan of flowmaster, his car is still to this day the best sounding exhuast ive heard. but again, it smelled like gas pretty bad. he said it only bothered him sitting at stop lights for a while, but standing behind the car it smelled like a gas station. flowmaster chamber 1's might be a good choice for you, im not sure what size's they come in though.

Comment

Even after that e-mail I was set on doing True duals so dont get your hopes down reading it.

Comment

in responds to the email dom sent you:

i personally have 1 sweet thunder muffler on my rumbler ( in place of the bullet ) and they are loud, but not as loud/free flowing as bullets. he is 100% correct when he says he probally lost power. between the 2.25" pipes and NO real restiction. i have a picture comparing the dynomax bullet to the sweet thunder, neither do much muffling nor are they restrictive. * bullet is on the RIGHT, sweet thunder on the LEFT* now clearly, bullets dont do ANY restricting at all.

heres a picture of the inside of a highflow cat, again this will help, ovbiously, with restricting the exhuast some.

i still stand by my other post, 2" piping with 2 "real" mufflers and 2 cats is the way to go.

look at v6 mustang exhausts, they're true duals and most are 2" with 2.5" tips, and they have a cat(s) and a real muffler. so that just backs up my opinons a little.

Comment

loser is right with the 2" Piping if yuor going to make the whole system from nothing but im trying to save alittle money by using the stock exhaust on there right now and hooking it up to the passenger manifold and making a custom one for the driver side. I am also using the sweet thunder mufflers but with 2.25 inlets and outlets but the inner baffle tubing will be 2" if your not really with me here is their site

http://sweet-thunder.com/chambered_g....html#aluminum

I am also using my tail pipes off my 80 flow master they are 2" so plus the cats and some bottle neck I'm pritty sure I will be creating enough back pressure to hold onto my low end torque.

Comment

Alright is sounds like its going to be a mission. But i am down!! coated pacesetters they end at 2.5" right? i am going to use 2" piping so ill run some cats befor the H but what size cats 2" cats?? does that exist? maby not for our cars but some car has to have 2" high flow cats availabe for a upgrade? like the V6 stanger?? then some mufflers still not decided on wich, and then run it under the axle for tips. . . sounds like work and money!!

Comment

So your going to buy the headers with the Y pipe? sorry but were can you buy the headers without the y-pipe It would make the price alot cheaper. Ooo and here is a Cat for your 2 inch

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X