4.10's or 3.73's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.10's or 3.73's?

im looking to get a new rearend in my 97 camaro, but im a lil sketchy on the right size for the gears, i want 4.10's, but im not sure how much they are going to take off of my higher speeds, i kno its gunna get me quicker off the line, but all i do is spin rite now anyways, so why just add more spinnage? i heard the 3.73's were easier 2 install, and the 3.73's even everything out, so i would hav good low end and high end power... and where would i go to get it tunned rite, or do i even have 2? im looking to get them off of lmperformance.com, but there are 2 types of gears, the gears themselves, and the ring and pinion... would the ring and pinion get both tires going or would i still be stuck with 1 tire fire?
    Last edited by oakleyR97S; 12-01-2006, 09:41 AM.

Re: 4.10's or 3.73's?

you dont need another tip ok q then you have an lsd and how important is gas milage

Comment

yeah didnt mean 2 put that... whats an lsd and how much gas milage will i lose?

Comment

limited slip diff it will help you hook up off the line by putting equal power to each wheel, as for milage i dont know for sure but 4.10's will be worse on it than 3.73's

Comment

Just go to the junk yard and buy a z28 rear with limited slip and 3.73's already in it. Drain and refill the fluid, clean it up and bolt it in. It will be far cheaper and probably easier to swap the rear then take yours completely apart and rebuild. Use that wonderful search feature as this has been talked about pretty recently on here as well.
          Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by oakleyR97S
            i want 4.10's, but im not sure how much they are going to take off of my higher speeds,
            Yes, higher ratio gears will take off your top end, but the that top end is 5600 RPM in your top gear...you'll never see that type of speed on the track, so it's a moot point worrying about that

i kno its gunna get me quicker off the line, but all i do is spin rite now anyways, so why just add more spinnage?
            Driver-mod and DR's will fix that
            i heard the 3.73's were easier 2 install,
            Same install procedure, just different hardware....if someone charges you more to install 4.10s than to install 3.73s, they're trying to scam you

and the 3.73's even everything out, so i would hav good low end and high end power...
            Not necessarily...where your powerband is is more controlled by your motor, not your gears

and where would i go to get it tunned rite, or do i even have 2?
            changing the gear ratio will make your speedo innaccurate and, if you're an auto, mess up your shift points.
            im looking to get them off of lmperformance.com, but there are 2 types of gears, the gears themselves, and the ring and pinion...
            gears = ring and pinion, so you'll have to provide a link for us to use

would the ring and pinion get both tires going or would i still be stuck with 1 tire fire?
            To get both wheels spinning, you need a positraction unit, or limited slip differential

Comment

wait..im an auto and i jsut got 3.42s installed...how is it gunna mess up my shift poing?

Comment

you have to have the car's computer Tuned... so that it knows that there is a different gear in there. It will mess up shift points AND your speedometer/ odometer will be off
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Your shift points will be messed up BECAUSE of your speedometer...your odometer will still be correct.

Get 4.10s if you want to go fast, get 3.73s if you're scared. 3.90s are out now as well, and you could get those, but those are just a poor mans 4.10s.
                  Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

So i'm guessing if I'm doing a lot of highway driving, and care about gas mileage, get the 3.73's and not the 4.10's?

Comment

If you have an auto 4.10s will be better than if you have a manual, because your 4th gear is a higher ratio than the 5th gear on the manuals.

With 4.10s and an auto with 26" tires you can do 70 mph at around 2500 rpms.

Comment

Originally posted by FloydSummerOf68
                        Your shift points will be messed up BECAUSE of your speedometer...your odometer will still be correct.

Get 4.10s if you want to go fast, get 3.73s if you're scared. 3.90s are out now as well, and you could get those, but those are just a poor mans 4.10s.
                        how will ur speedo be off but ur odometer not?

dont they work off eachother

Comment

410 man its the only way to go with a 6 i loved mine with a v8 around town gas actually better

Comment

Your odometer is not a result of the wheels.

Your shift works off of both the speedometer and your odometer, both set areas must be crossed before the shift occurs. Putting a lower ratio gear in will throw off the speedometer because the car things it's going at a different speed than it actually is causing it to shift at a different time than desired.

I agree...4.10 really should be the only option when swapping gears.

Comment

4.10's and a gear vendor under/overdrive. that way u have a close ratio 8 speed that has a final 4th over rpm similar to 3.42's on a stock auto.
                              2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X