What can I do with $500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do with $500?

Is there any way to build a decent system for $500?

I don't know much about stereos as far as car audio, so I don't really know the good brands and where to shop.. etc. I only know about guitar amps and speakers. But a speaker is a speaker... I know what speaker efficiency means and all of that.

My dad has installed a ton of car stereos and would help with mine so installation would not be a factor.

What would I be looking at? Anyone have anything in mind?

I'm guessing it's not enough for a head unit, amp, and sub(s).

I would really like an enclosure meant for the camaro.. like the subthump ones, but that would probably be too much wouldn't it..

I helped my dad with his custom box a couple weeks ago, so I guess we could do one for my car.. but I would rather buy one if I have enough money, but I probably don't.. so :banana:

So yeah, i'm guessing most of you know what you are talking about and have alot of experience... so help me out here :)

Re: What can I do with $500?

my deck alone was $350 and a good amp will be about $200

but ud besurprised wat u could find at circuit city and best buy if u do ur homework

Comment

i got most of my **** off ebay excluding my subs. kenwood 8101d amp $100 used(awesome amp) rockford wiring kit new($25) kenwood stereo new($110) 4 sony door speakers new ($60) and my subs were 100 new a piece from best buy.

so 495 about there was still some other little **** i needed because circuit city installed all my **** and i got RAPED on installation. if i could go back i would have never got a system and spent it on something else. ended up paying like 900 for everything. bOO.... but it bumps hella good:naughty:
      Last edited by th3shuck; 12-04-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

500 should be plenty. Shop around and you should be able to get a really good system around 450 or so, that is unless you want a monitor and all that sh%t
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Can anyone give me links of specific good deals?

Comment

This is pretty broad, but try cardomain.com and go to the shop. On some things, they even offer free shipping (which comes in handy with subs/amps)

Comment

Do you need new speakers? Or are you looking at a new HU, amp and subs? These three can be had for $500 easy.
              <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Off of ebay

http://www.audioblowouts.com

Alot of their stuff is cheap... almost too cheap I think..

Comment

The prices are basically reasonable, maybe a little low, but those arent high end subs (subs are all I looked at) but what he has, is not to good quality.

Comment

If you get a pre-fabricated box and go with the right 12" sub and the right amp it could run you around $500 that's also with a decent, but not the best run of the mill deck unit like a Pioneer or something you would find at Wal-Mart.

And, with that I've seen a 12" sub blow someone with 2 12"s out of the water. Remember, dealers want you to buy their speaker and say it's high end or it is the best sounding sub you will ever hear. "That's all a load of BS" You can find quality 12"s for 50 dollars in some places, brand new. As long as the speaker doesn't blow too easy (just don't over power it) and isn't held together with cheap glue (the dust cover and what not) then any 12 will almost sound the same, unless it's made for a competition sub. The main source of a nice(bassed out) sounding system is in your wire selection, how well the wires are connected, your amp, and the sub enclosure design. You can have any deck unit and any sub after that, if you have great wiring (I recommend soldering all connections and keeping your power wire and ground wire as short as you possibly can) and a decent to great amp that will give you the wattage you want thrown then it's all good from there.

Comment

i got my first system for 500 dollars.(headunit, sub, amp, box and wiring) and was able to hit a 135.4 with a single 10 in my daily box.
                      if you want to get loud for cheap, i would say look in alpine type r's. you can get one for around 125 shipped if you look hard enough, (not even ebay) then get like a 600-1000 watt rms amp, i'd say hifonics again if you wanna stay cheap. Some 4 gauge kit, knukonceptz makes really nice cheap kits. then go to your local stereo shop and see if they build custom boxes, you don't need it to be flush in the trunk, but prefab blows. for loudness and daily driveablilty just get a vented box tuned to like 35 hz.

Comment

definitally check out www.crutchfield.com if you havent already. Free shipping on a lot of items, and they always have good deals going. I got a $300 panasonic headunit for 200 bucks
                        2000 v6 a4 Camaro

Comment

I'm going to give you a quick, simple little setup that will be decent but a little over your budget...

Pioneer Premier DEH-P680MP - $199 (can be found cheaper elsewhere)
                          Image Dynamics IDQ10V2.D4 - $160
                          Phoenix Gold R5.0.1 - $118
                          Subthump's driver's side stealth box - $112
                          Complete 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - $43

But these can all be found cheaper elsewhere most likely, and if you want to build your own box that would help with the cost as well. I spent about a grand on my system, and while it bumps, its a little much.

Oh yeah, and the amp is twice as much power as you will need for that single sub. Gives you some room if you ever plan to upgrade.
                          <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

one of my amps costs $500 on sale.

http://www.audio-direct.com/item.asp...6e&origin=desc
                            Last edited by bcraig; 12-06-2006, 09:43 AM.
                            Check out my car on cardomain.com!!! <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=844739</a>

Comment

put it in the bank
                              Dave:
                              00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X