car no start/radio&alarm malfunctioning - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car no start/radio&alarm malfunctioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car no start/radio&alarm malfunctioning

ok, i just got off work parked my car in the driveway and started doing some new years cleaning after about an hour into it my stereo started cutting on and off for only about a split second but on and off constantly. so i turn the radio off and go top start the car up and nothing happens, i try to set my alarm and it doesnt beep but the doors lock. so i go inside waity about 5 minutes then i go back outside this time i try to start the car evberything comes on like it wants to but when i turn the key it makes this really fast clicking sound from under the hood kinda loud and the car doesnt start. but the alarm beeps and the radio works car wont start.... any suggestions? thanks

Re: car no start/radio&alarm malfunctioning

Battery low or bad connections.
    2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

Same clicking noise happened to me.

I could jump it at certain points (I have a top and side post battery, cables connected to the sides)

I could jump it from the top, but if I shut it off, and started it again, it would just click.

I ended up replacing my battery and it works fine.

Comment

Dead battery. Perhaps there's a possibility that your alternator isn't charging the battery? New ones are fairly cheap at autozone, I picked up a refurb for 114 bucks.

If you jumpstart it and let it run for a while, it should start right back up. If not, it's most likely your alternator.
        \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Re: car no start/radio&amp;alarm malfunctioning

Clean your battery terminals with any type of wire brush. Tighten them back down and jump start or charge the battery. She will fire right up :D :banana:

Comment

Ok NP. Check the terminals on the battery for any corrosion. Even if there is none, clean them anyway.

Alos when you jump your car go drive it around for a little while. If you let the car run for a few seconds that will do nothing. After driving it and this keeps happening go get your battery and alternator checked.

You probly shouldnt have left the radio on in the car while cleaning. I know I can with my stereo because it draws so much powetr from that battery it would be dead shortly.

Hope this helped you out a bit.

Comment

same here, i cant really leave my stereo on for more than 10 minutes or so without worrying about my battery dying.

Definaltey sounds like a bad battery.. although most likely your alternator is probably ok, you can go to auto zone / advanced auto / wal-mart etc. and get it tested for free, so in the case of you buying a new battery and your alternator really doesnt work, you wont find yourself in the same boat.
              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Another good way to test your alternator is after your car is started your voltage should rise up a little beyond the 13V mark. That doesn't involve the removal of your alternator either, which can be a slight PITA ;)
                \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

Wal mart does not remove the alternator to test it, they have a little computer that hooks to the battery and pretty much just reads voltage input from the charging system.

It just sounds like a dead battery... i used to leave the radio on in the camaro and when the battery was dying the radio would just start turning on and off
                  *Matt

Comment

well thansk guys, turns out all it was was just the battery beeing dead... i didnt realize a dead battery would make that clicking sound all loud and fast like that. for the record i was cleaning the car for atleast 30-60 minutes before the radio started turning on and off, i didnt know running the radio wouldve drained the battery that quick though. i guess next time ill just leave the car running....thanks again. :banana:

Comment

Next time bring a portable radio out from the house...

its hard on your battery to drain it all the way down, then recharge it like that.
                      *Matt

Comment

you should consider buying one of those battery chargers that plug into your wall, sometimes jumping just doesnt do it. those will charge your battery up as much as you want it to relatively fast.
                        1999 v6 Camaro M5
                        Automatic to Manual converted
                        Pacesetter Headers, 2.5" Custom True Duals with X-Pipe and Magnaflow Bullet Muffers,
                        !cat, Intake, 3.42's with LSD, MSD Wires, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Short Shifter, Tuned PCM

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X