• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Exhaust Opinons?

I have;

1997 Camaro 3.8
    5 speed
    Catco Catalytic Converter

So the guy who did my converter says he can cut the pipe where the muffler is and replace it with a dual outlet muffler. And then just put dual tips coming out of the muffler. According to him a dual outlet muffler will flow A LOT better than stock. Which makes sense. But what is a muffler that sounds good and flows pretty well? Since I'm going to leave the stock stainless pipe on and all.

Re: Dual Exhaust Opinons?

any company that makes a single outlet muffler would make a dual outlet muffler...search around the forums

Comment

search the sound clips for the sound you want
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

flowmaster 40 series FTW man

Comment

Okay so a Flowmaster 40 series or 80 series sounds about right.

This guy says that Id be best leaving the 2.25 stock pipe. Does he know what hes talking about or what? Keeps saying I need backpressure blah blah..

If I do tell him to use bigger pipe I highly doubt it is mandrel bent. Since he just owns a muffler shop downtown. And I dont really feel like spending the money on a whole system.

Comment

flowmaster 80 series is dual outlet, the flowmaster will add a few ponies, whereas true dual exhaust on our cars actually decreases power i believe...don't quote me on that but it seems like i've heard that before...
            1999 Camaro Z/28
            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Ok, do you want just a dual outlet muffler or a catback or a true dual exhaust?

if you want just the muffler, I would get the flowmaster 80, have the guy weld up some outlet pipes and slap on some tips you like.

If you want a catback, save up the money. don't waste you time having this dude put on some non mandrel bent pipes. that will be a waste of your money.

I you want true duals, you need to search and decide what you want. personally, I would recommend using 2" or 2.25" pipes for that.
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

What I'm saying is...will there be a significant difference between just having him throw on a flowmaster muffler and leaving the pipe the same. Or would I notice a big difference upgrading the pipe to 2.5 inch AND putting on the muffler?

Comment

he's just going on the stereotype that our small engines need enormous amounts of backpressure to run properly. There's going to be a significant difference with either route; however you'll get more for your money if you upgrade the piping

Comment

ya know I have heard that 3 inch is too big, we loose lots of torque and all of that other stuff but right now I have the slp CAI, whisper lid, stock exhaust manifolds, carsound cat and 3 inch hooker exhaust all the way back and I can still burn the tires off the car. During really hot days I may be feeling a drop in torque but that's likely more due to the 110 degree intake temps than anything else, for the record I can feel high temps sap power from my yamaha 1100 v-twin.
                    -Brad
                    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                    :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X