Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stereo Keeps Shutting Off!

There is no kit.

Last summer my 99 FB started to do the same thing as yours is now. Trouble shooting lead to the BCM and I removed it and broke into it to look for the failure. Didn't find much, so I tighened up all the connections in the connectors and put it all back together. It worked for a while and then started acting up again. It's too cold out here to do anything about it. I'll have to wait for warmer weather.

I could isolate the failing relay, source a replacement and replace it on the BCM PC board, but I think it will be much easier to just provide a bypass. Here is how I figure I'll do it.

I'm going to use 2 big diodes. Using the first diode, I'm going to run power from a spare fuse location in the fuse box to the fuse that provides power to the shared Radio/windows fuse. The second diode I'm going to splice into the wire that runs from the BCM to the fuse panel.

This way power will be provided to the radio/windows circuit from the spare fuse location in the fuse panel through the 1st diode, but that 1st diode will also prevent power from the BCM from powering the fuse panel through the spare fuse holder when the ignition key is in the OFF position and the radio time delay in the BCM is still pushing power. The 1st diode blocks this flow. The 2nd diode will prevent any reverse currents from getting into the BCM (and blowing the crap out of it) from the fuse panel. These diodes will be substantial in size as they will have to handle the current flow of the window motors.

Anyways, that's my plan. I can provide details later when I get around (or rather when the weather lets me) to it.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

the window motor power does not come through the bcm, just the power leads, kinda like the power lead that you use to turn on an amplifier, i have a switch straight into the line that goes to the radio and i just turn it on whenever i'm having problems and it has yet to blow the crap out of the bcm, i have been using it for quite some time, the only problem is if you use it when the ignition is off after some time the security light will illuminate, but it turns off after driving for a few minutes

Comment

Originally posted by bah
        fine, ignore me *******s, i've only already diagnosed the damn problem myself, you dont understand it unless you have dealt with it, so dont ****in undermind me
        Easy hot head. Nobody is trying to UNDERMINE you.
        Red 96' A4 Firebird
        Audio Audio and Autotek
        Check it out here!

Comment

Why don't you just replace the Body Control Module? It costs about $150 and if you have a kittle patience you can install it yourself. It takes a little time, but it is not rocket science.

Why monkey around trying to bypass it and screwing up something else, unless your car is heading for the boneyard anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by 96firebird311
            Easy hot head. Nobody is trying to UNDERMINE you.
            i was pissed ok, its like everybody (who had never dealt with this problem before) just ignored what i had to say (somebody who has dealt with this problem before and currently is and knows where the source of the problem is) you would be pissed too, and as far as replacing the bcm you have ONE chance to burn in the VATS correctly, i would much prefer having a dealer do it correctly than put $150 on the line, and not all of us are made of money, its just as easy to put a switch on it and be done with it

Comment

Why don't you just replace the Body Control Module?
              Maybe it's only 150 bucks in the good ol U S of A, but here the danm thing is well over $400 and then you have to take it to the dealership to have them program it for your particular car. Thats another $70-$100. After you add the taxes to all that your up to $600.

I don't know about you but just to have the radio play when the ignition is off and until the door opens is not worth $600!!! Especially when all it takes is a couple of diodes, a little wire, some heat shrink and solder.

Thanks for the additional info on the window power BAH. Still can't get to fixing this problem. It was -40 degree F here yesterday. I can wait a while!!!
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X