Clear All

• headers ready for install

ok so i just want to make sure i have every thing i need
    abbott gaskets /
    stage 8 bolts /
    pacesetter headers /
    Tools & car lift /
    man power 3 total /

and do i really need to leave the bolts over nite in oil?
    it will be better right? any other help will be great

1999 camaro m5

Re: headers ready for install

I dont' see what soaking the bolts in oil overnight would do. Just put a little loctite on when you go to put them in.

Comment

Yea soaking them over nite doesnt seem to me like it would have any effect except for getting on the headers and making them smoke...

i would not reccomend you using loctite on them tho... its not an area where you want to be struggling with a bolt later on... i would recommend a little bit of never-seize(sp)... it will help keep the bolt threads from 'welding' themselves inside the head from the heating and cooling... no matter what u choose to put or not put on the bolt threads remember that after you run the car and gett it nice and hott for the first and maybe the second time you will need to go over and re-tighten all the header bolts. They tend to loosen up due to the fact that most bolts are cold drawn so when they are exposed to the heat from the head and the exhaust for the first time or so; they stretch a little bit.

This is not a must since you already have gaskets... but i would recommend using some high temp RTV silicone and using a thin layer of that between the headers and the gasket... not only does it help seal a little bit better but also makes installation a bit easier...

goodluck!!

Comment

Hey mike, i just got pacesetter headers and Im actually waiting to get abbott racing gaskets cuz they are all out at the moment, but the stage 8 locking bolts...are those the ones that come with the headers or what bolts are those???

Comment

Also when i put mine on like this weekend i plan on spraying some penetrating oil /lubricant on the manifold bolts the night before and also the morning of to help with gettting those loosened

Comment

OK sorry bout that... i take back my previous statement about having to recheck the bolts after you run the car... didnt see the stage 8 bolts part... so totally ignore that comment, thats only for regular old bolts haha

Comment

Where do you get these stage 8 bolts at and what are they???

Comment

Originally posted by 97iastatecamaro
                bolts that hold the headers on. www.ftpp.net has them, some shops might as well.
                Dave:
                00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

here bud this will kind of give you an idea...

http://www.stage8.com/offer.htm

Comment

Don't soak them in oil, try something like PBblaster, who knows it might save you the trouble of a broken bolt......

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
                      Don't soak them in oil, try something like PBblaster, who knows it might save you the trouble of a broken bolt......
                      I think that's what the OP meant, but didn't know the correct term for it.

Comment

Will the bolts that came with the pacesetter headers be alright or are these bolts a must

Comment

Will the bolts that came with the pacesetter headers be alright or are these bolts a must
                          I've heard they come loose, if you do use them check them every X amount of miles, and make sure you tighten them properly.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

your fine either way, he's just saying tighten them if they arent 8's.

hitting the manifold bolts with penetrating lubricant is a good idea. let is sit for a little bit before you start wrenchin tho

Comment

Originally posted by Grimm
                              I dont' see what soaking the bolts in oil overnight would do. Just put a little loctite on when you go to put them in.
                              first of all thats the dumbest thing ive ever hurd of if your installing header bolts, secong the bolts that come with the pacesetters are fine to use, i only had to tighten mine once on my old car, its the bolts that connect the headers to the y-pipe that suck, i went and bought shorter ones from the local hardware store and it was all peachy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X