Snow driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow driving?

I wasn't sure where to post this, moderators feel free to move.

How realistic is it to assume that with a good set of snow tires and some weight in the back, that these cars could be driven through a michigan winter? I currently do not own a 4th gen v6 firebird or camaro but I am considering buying a 5-speed firebird for a daily driver. I live only 2-3 miles from work so it wont be a problem getting there, but I often take a 40minute drive on the highway into a local town to hang with friends... Opinions? can anyone recommend a good set of snow tires?

Thanks!:dj:

Re: Snow driving?

First year I had my car I was able to do like 4 to 8 inches of snow with regular goodyear eagles, they were pretty new at the time. Last year, when PA had its ice/snow on Valentines day, my car sat till Friday. I couldn't even move it out of the space it was parked in! I am thinking about getting the Michelin X-ice and trying those. Or something like them. I think with good tires and weight, and taking it easy, you should be ok.
    2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

I've heard good things about Dunlop M3s, but I don't personally have experience with them. I ran all seasons and weight in the hatch during winters.

Comment

Well I dont think that your winters are much different then ours here in toronto...I have Hankook tires... http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...2APike...thats the link to em. They worked great last winter for me (I was stock then), so we'll see how they perform this winter. Only weight I had in the back was about 120lbs worth of stereo equiptment, which is also gone now.
        In the end you can get a really good set of winter tires, but its all in how you drive that is going to determine if you will be ok. You have to be a lot more cautious that your rear end will swing if your not careful and in too much of a hurry.

Best advice I can give if you do buy one...Is when it does snow, take your car to an empty parking lot and have some fun...literally...Do it to see/get an idea of how you car responds to different things...do a donut in the snow, then try and get outta it. I did this and it helped me a couple of times when I was about to loose control.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I don't have any problems in the snow around here... until I hit a steep hill, but if I can't make it up the hill then I turn around and go up the hill in reverse "works like a charm"
          Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird
            I don't have any problems in the snow around here... until I hit a steep hill, but if I can't make it up the hill then I turn around and go up the hill in reverse "works like a charm"

Haha thats jokes...i dont know if you have an auto or not but have you tried the SGS...works charms sometimes

Comment

Good snow tires will make all the difference. Some extra weight in back might help (and keep the tank at least half full). Other than that, just take it easy.

If you get a Y87 the LSD will help too.
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

if you take it out to a parking lot...for the love of God make sure its empty and has no light poles or anything you might plow into...

Comment

i drove mine for 2 winters so far.. no problems.

i even went around two idiots with AWD/4WD spinning their tires in the snow

Comment

Originally posted by DHiser27
                    if you take it out to a parking lot...for the love of God make sure its empty and has no light poles or anything you might plow into...
                    ...yea preferably a parking lot you are familiar with, and that is quite big...for me it would be like a canadian tire...or a mall...for u maybe a target or something idk. lol

Comment

Originally posted by smoove2022
                      I wasn't sure where to post this, moderators feel free to move.

How realistic is it to assume that with a good set of snow tires and some weight in the back, that these cars could be driven through a michigan winter? I currently do not own a 4th gen v6 firebird or camaro but I am considering buying a 5-speed firebird for a daily driver. I live only 2-3 miles from work so it wont be a problem getting there, but I often take a 40minute drive on the highway into a local town to hang with friends... Opinions? can anyone recommend a good set of snow tires?

Thanks!:dj:
                      I had a set of Dunlop snows on and i could PLOW the snow. i went 3 michigan winters w/ it so... yeah. Well, i guess it'd be different if you're a UP'er but like i said, with some snows and 200 lbs of sand in the rear you should easily be able to get around...
                      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

I duno about the rest of you guys, but mine gets stored for the winter...

I cant even drive around the block with my LSD rearend, The car has no traction, and spins out when your sitting still. & its a 5 spd, 2nd gear or 3rd gear starts dont help.
                        Plus, Illinois winters + salt = crappy car after 1 winter.
                        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

i also store my car. no salt for my undercarriage :)

Comment

I run 15" rims in the winter with Kelly Winterforce snowtires all around and subs in the back. I get around better than the little FWD's do.
                            \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Comment

I've had my car since June 01. I've drove it every winter since then. I don't even add weight. I typically run all season tires (245/50/16s [I think] Firestone Firehawk Indy 500), but this past winter I ran my Summer Tires (275/40/17 Yokohomas). Granted the all seasons do a whole lot better in the snow, the summer tires did *decent* considering. Typically we would have a minimum of 3" of snow. Either way, just lower the air pressure in the rear tires a little bit for a wider footprint, add some weight, and take it EASY. Throttle control is just as important as tires.
                              Last edited by silvachris1; 08-08-2007, 01:22 PM.
                              ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X