Homemade powedyne Kit build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade powedyne Kit build

Due to some requests that I have received lately, here is the update on our powerdyne build.

Alright, in an effort to save money in our powerdyne build for my brother's car we decided to make our own kit. The car that will be receiving the kit is a 1999 firebird. Here is a pic of the car:

This car is practically bone stock other than a flo-pro muffler and shaved lid along with smooth bellows and removed MAF screen.

A new SS rear end with 3.42 gears and LSD is waiting to go in and exhaust will be ordered in the near future as we get closer to wrapping up the supercharger.

As for the supercharger kit:

We had the tensioner bracket and spacers made by a friend who was/is going to college for engineering make them in the school shops.

The big supercharger bracket is being made by a local cnc shop. We had to order some aluminum from an online website because it was cheaper than through the shop. Here are both the AutoCAD file and a DXF file. For the AutoCAD file you can get a plasma cutter, for it is in the PIECE/HOLE configuration required. The DXF file is for importation into CAM software to create toolpaths for CNC machines. Best bet is to put them both on a floppy and take them to wherever you find that can do it:

For the intake we are using an MTI clear lid made for a v8 fbody. This has the outlet in the center of the lid and not offset to the side. Should be plenty of clearance now for the tubing. For the intake tubing we are using the powerdyne flex tubing. Discharge tubing is going to be mandrel bent pipe from our exhaust shop.

We have a 6psi pulley and a 9psi pulley for when we are positive all the kinks are out of the system. A 6:1 FMU is providing the fuel at the moment and when it is time for 9psi then gtp injectors will be added to the car and walbro fuel pump.

Bosch blow off valve is part of our kit to help keep the powerdyne working efficiently and will be routed back into the clear lid. JohnD powerwrap is the belt routing that will be used.

So yea that is where we are at for right now. Stay tuned here as we will be getting the big bracket cnc'd out here in the next week or so once we receive the aluminum piece for it. Then we will be installing it as that bracket is the only thing we are waiting for.

Here is a pic of our tensioner bracket that was made by my buddy:

More to come...
    Last edited by 97rs4life; 09-29-2008, 11:09 PM.
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Re: Homemade powedyne Kit build

Now this is going to be a sweet thread. How about when/if you do a full write up, make a price list, and links? Really kick @$$ of you to share this with us!
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

yea no problem. Have pricing so far in an excel sheet as well, will have final numbers once done

Comment

Sweet! Im really looking forward to this one!
        sigpic
        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Great job thus far. Sadly that tensioner looks better than the one I got in the real kit, haha. You did get metric threaded rod right? Good luck with that final bracket. I'll help you out as much as I can if you run into any problems and need help figuring out what is wrong.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Def. will be staying tuned to this thread. Good luck with your build.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask, where did you get the powerdyne flex tube? I've tried contacting Powerdyne and can't get a hold of them so I was wondering if you found another place to get it or something.
              2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
                Oh, I forgot to ask, where did you get the powerdyne flex tube? I've tried contacting Powerdyne and can't get a hold of them so I was wondering if you found another place to get it or something.
                I got it from a member here (dmw319) who changed to a different intake setup. But also go to zzperformance.com, they have some you can buy as well and you tell them how many feet of it you want when you order

here is a link: https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=319&catid=113

Comment

Yeah, but that is 4". I'll talk to them and see if I can get the right size. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Punk
                    Great job thus far. Sadly that tensioner looks better than the one I got in the real kit, haha. You did get metric threaded rod right? Good luck with that final bracket. I'll help you out as much as I can if you run into any problems and need help figuring out what is wrong.
                    is yours running yet?

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                    Or this

Comment

No, I've got some decisions to make. I'm torn between getting the superpowerdyne rebuild and the XB-1A. I was just gonna send it out and get a ceramic rebuild but I've decided it's better to go all or nothing. I can either spend 1300 on the superpowerdyne or 1750 with trade in of my blower for the XB-1A. I'm leaning towards the XB-1A though. I was considering selling the whole damn thing after this too but decided against it.

Comment

oh yea didn't look at the size. I know powerdyne ownership is a mess so trying to contact them is going to be a pain in the butt.

For the XB-1A where are you trading that into? If to powerdyne I would not do it and just get the racing rebuild with the new impeller or whatever 928 has for it

Comment

Alright, we received our aluminum sheet for the main bracket today. We got it from www.discountsteel.com, great place to work with and amazing prices. My brother is going to our machine shop guy tomorrow to get the aluminum to them and they can begin cutting it out. WOOT! Might have a bracket by monday for it. :)

As for the rear end, that is going to be done in the next couple days here at our shop by one of our mechanics that works for our dad. So 3.42s and lsd should be in here shortly for a little more get up and go in the firebird
                          Last edited by 97rs4life; 08-15-2007, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Supercharger rebuild has one that I can trade mine in on. They said they would rebuild it no matter what and worst comes to worse might make me pay a bit more than 1750 if they can't fix my impeller. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Comment

Well it is my car that this project is being done on and I thought I would update with todays news, after one day the guy pulled through with getting the headunit bracket done, everything looks perfect except a slight amount needs to be sanded off the inside for the bracket to slip on the headunit. I had a question, what bolts are used to attach the head unit to the bracket? I dont see any around here so that must be something that is needed yet. Attached is a picture of the headunit and bracket, I also installed a 180 degree thermostat today which was simply a breeze! I do have a howto that came with a hypertech thermostat if that isnt already online that I can post later.

INSTALL COMING SOON :):)
                              Attached Files
                              1999 Firebird W68<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565</a> <br />-Derek

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X