3X00 Top End Swap Performance Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3X00 Top End Swap Performance Parts

For those really wanting to push the envelope of 3.4L RWD performance and are considering the 3X00 Swap, I've compiled a Performance Parts List out of my own curiousity and to share with all.
    In my opinion, the 3.4L with modification is far superior than the 3.8L
    I really love the way the 3.4L sounds compared to the 3.8... by that i mean the 3.4 has a really distinct sound that i prefer to the 3.8, Every 3.8 I've heard seems to have some sort of strange metal sound and growls like a half-assed v8 as they accelerate, Which is good if you are want your 6 to act like its a v8... But Id prefer a 6 cylinder to sound like a high performance 6'er
    The 3.4 has more of a suped up 6 sound rather than an attempt at a v8 growl which is why i love the 3.4
    keep in mind you are still going to need the fuel rail from the 3400
    and an Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator would be great...

Ive compiled a list of High performance options for the 3X00 Top End Swap
    Stage 1 Top End swap 3500/3400: $1500
    The 3500 top end is superior to the 3400 top end is just about every way. The level 1 package makes this swap easy, especially for those that have the large port manifolds already. With this kit you get
    3500 Heads, rebuilt with new stock valves, springs, seals, and a 5 angle valve job, mild port/polish work
    3500 Lower Intake, ported
    3400 Upper Intake, ported
    All Gaskets/Head Bolts you will need to do the swap
    Utilizing the 3400 Upper Intake means everything will look and work like stock. For 3.4 Camaro/Firebird owners: headers are a MUST.

Custom Ported 3X00 Heads:

Custom ported 3100/3400 heads for 350 bucks ( More depending on options)
    Custom Ported 3400 Heads

Custom Ported 3500 heads 550(+Options)
    Custom 3500 heads

Stage 1 Custom
    $849.99
    Stage 1 - Mild port and polish - smoothing out casting blemishes, port and gasket matching, mild bowl work, de-shrouding of the valves, combustion chamber cc matching
    -competition valve job (3-angle)
    -LS6 valve springs, retainers, and keepers
    -new valve seals
    -assembled and toleranced
    -clearanced for safe lifts up to .500

Stage 2 Custom Ported
    $1,199.99
    Stage 2 - Full port and polish, port-matching the intake runners, d-shaping/re-angling of exhaust ports, significant bowl work, correcting the short side radius, polished cc-matched combustion chambers
    -race valve job
    -stainless steel swirl-polished under-cut valves in OEM diameter
    -custom MMS valve springs, retainers, and keepers
    -bronze valve guide liners
    -new valve seals
    -assembled and toleranced
    -clearanced for safe lifts up to .560"
    -milling up to .020 free of charge

65mm Billet Throttle Body $325
    Not another bored out stock piece, this is a billet aluminum, CNC cut throttlebody and plate designed for both function and appearance. Made by TCE, you can be sure that you are getting a quality product. 65mm, designed to push the limit of the 3400 plenum opening, and take advantage of the stock 3500 plenum. Stock 3500s come with a 65mm, so it only makes sense to offer this size.

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Pistons:
    Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons 25.69 ea

60v6 store 3X00 performance parts
    Last edited by godSPEED; 08-18-2007, 08:45 PM.

Re: 3X00 Top End Swap Performance Parts

Ya, I've driven both 3.4s and 3.8s and I like the 3.4s more as well. Don't get me wrong, the I think the 3.8s are amazing engines, and they can be modded to be very fast. 200hp stock is a decent amount of hp, but I still think the 60* engines are superior. The 3500 makes the same amount of hp as the 3.8. They don't make as much torque as the 3.8, but the 3500s weigh less than the 3.8. Hell, even with cast iron heads, the 3.4 weighs about 80 pounds less, and I think a pair of aluminum heads weighs about 30 pounds less than a pair of cast irons heads. The benefit of a top end swap isn't just increased airflow, but less weight as well. Actually, I don't think the 3.4 hasn't been taken anywhere near where it could be. I'm surprised I haven't seen that many 3.4 owners swap to 4.10 gears and LSD. From what I've read from other car owners, those 2 mods alone make an amazing difference. My dream setup for my 3.4:

1. All the minor mods: Plugs, wires, MSD, coils, fuel injectors, ect. Hey, every little bit counts.
    2. Full bolt-ons.
    3. 3500 top end fully ported.
    4. Cam.
    5. 4.10 gears.
    6. LSD.
    7. High boost turbo setup w/ supporting mods.
    8. A GOOD tune.
    9. Performance brakes and suspension.

I know there's more, but those are definitely at the top of my list. Driveshaft would probably fall in there and possibly a stall. Lots of power to be made.
    1995 Bluish green 3.4l Camaro.<br />Bone stock right now lol!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355</a>

Comment

Originally posted by lambo101
      Ya, I've driven both 3.4s and 3.8s and I like the 3.4s more as well. Don't get me wrong, the I think the 3.8s are amazing engines, and they can be modded to be very fast. 200hp stock is a decent amount of hp, but I still think the 60* engines are superior. The 3500 makes the same amount of hp as the 3.8. They don't make as much torque as the 3.8, but the 3500s weigh less than the 3.8. Hell, even with cast iron heads, the 3.4 weighs about 80 pounds less, and I think a pair of aluminum heads weighs about 30 pounds less than a pair of cast irons heads. The benefit of a top end swap isn't just increased airflow, but less weight as well. Actually, I don't think the 3.4 hasn't been taken anywhere near where it could be. I'm surprised I haven't seen that many 3.4 owners swap to 4.10 gears and LSD. From what I've read from other car owners, those 2 mods alone make an amazing difference. My dream setup for my 3.4:

1. All the minor mods: Plugs, wires, MSD, coils, fuel injectors, ect. Hey, every little bit counts.
      2. Full bolt-ons.
      3. 3500 top end fully ported.
      4. Cam.
      5. 4.10 gears.
      6. LSD.
      7. High boost turbo setup w/ supporting mods.
      8. A GOOD tune.
      9. Performance brakes and suspension.

I know there's more, but those are definitely at the top of my list. Driveshaft would probably fall in there and possibly a stall. Lots of power to be made.
      The 3500 neve came with iron heads. Iron heads went away with the RWD 60* design. If you want to boost your car, it's not a good idea to use such high gears. A turbo spools faster/harder the more load that is on the engine. Two identical cars, one with 3.23, and the other with 4.10, the 3.23 car will win.

I am in the process of gathering the last few parts to complete a 3.4/3500 that's going into my 3rd gen, and plan on putting my turbo back on it (maybe twins). LS6 springs, ported, 262 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, 75mm TB, and some forward facing headers made by yours truely. I plan on making a completely new accy braket kit, and will offer them to the guys who need them for their swap as well (I have a CNC/fabrication shop).

Comment

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird
        The 3500 neve came with iron heads. Iron heads went away with the RWD 60* design. If you want to boost your car, it's not a good idea to use such high gears. A turbo spools faster/harder the more load that is on the engine. Two identical cars, one with 3.23, and the other with 4.10, the 3.23 car will win.

I am in the process of gathering the last few parts to complete a 3.4/3500 that's going into my 3rd gen, and plan on putting my turbo back on it (maybe twins). LS6 springs, ported, 262 cam, 1.7 roller rockers, 75mm TB, and some forward facing headers made by yours truely. I plan on making a completely new accy braket kit, and will offer them to the guys who need them for their swap as well (I have a CNC/fabrication shop).
        Hell, even with cast iron heads, the 3.4 weighs about 80 pounds less, and I think a pair of aluminum heads weighs about 30 pounds less than a pair of cast irons heads.

When did I say the 3500 came with cast iron heads?:poke:
        1995 Bluish green 3.4l Camaro.<br />Bone stock right now lol!<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2042355</a>

Comment

SO what is done for PCM work on efi cars?

Comment

this little thing I think its called MEGASQUIRT :poke:

Comment

from my understanding there is nothing readily available fro tuning a 3.4L with the exception of MegaSquirt fuel injection. For other models you can send your computer to PCMforless.com and they will customize your computer module to maximize the output of your performance modifications, Factory tunes vary from car to car and are often sloppy to say the least... You may never experience the full potential of your stock motor without a tune.... Unfortunately for us 93-94 F-body owners Megasquirt Fuel injection is the only hope. I know a few guys on here have it done, But im not sure how difficult it is to hook up, To me it seems like a major challenge but i havent heard from someone how they set it up.

Comment

i havent gotten my megasquirt in yet - but only because i havent made the wiring harness for it.

the overall build of the Ms is very easy. if you know how to solder you can do it. as for wiring - there are plenty of people that already have it running.

As for all the "performance parts" - im glad someone is using ben's store. Bolting up the aluminum parts is not a walk in the park though. there are numerous little tweaks that have to be done to get everything to run right, and i've found even more as my car runs every day.

A little later down the line I plan to refine my 3400 engine with new revamped parts a much more detailed parts list (which wont make it to the web - only because i want a unique car and i've helped enough people get started with the 3400 swap).

fyi - simply bolting the aluminum setup to the 3.4L RWD engine without tuning the ecm nets 200 hp (crank) / 245 lb ft of tq (15 more tq than 3.8) @ 3.4 displacement

(stock cam included). might be with headers and the 3.8 will benefit a little more with the addition of headers, but its still cool that the 3.4 will raise up to the stock specs of the 3.8 with very little effort.

once you are there, making the engine perform requires tuning the ecm (as i have found out the hard way) but there is a lot of potential.

my current is 184rwhp/212rwtq - altho my track times suck because im not good at 1/4 mile driving... (that dyno number actually outdid a 5.0L 1991 Camaro V8 and i still have to tune my car...)

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
                Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
                West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X