Fuel pump 1999 3.8 V6 install questions - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel pump 1999 3.8 V6 install questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump 1999 3.8 V6 install questions

I just cut an access hole in our 99 Camaro trunk yesterday. The fuel pump is further towards the back of the car than earlier models.... I was very lucky that I did not cut into the fuel lines or into the wires.

Below are photos of the different locations (both are photos I found on the web AFTER I cut my hole ...

Location of fuel pump in pre 98 cars:

location of pump in 99-02 cars:

Now here's my problem:

The old pump (yellow) has three ports (only the center port is small), the new pump has two small and only one larger port.... :rant:

Can I take the upper part off and use the lower part (bucket and pump) of the new assembly - basically make one working assembly from the two I got ??

Is anyone aware of this problem ? Did I buy the wrong pump ?? I bought it on Ebay and it's supposed to be brand new with a 1year warranty.... I already contacted the seller if he has a pump with the correct connections....

Re: Fuel pump 1999 3.8 V6 install questions

i don't see why people do it that way. it's not to do it right. just takes some time. i mean come on i'm a girl and i did it the right way lol
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

I did that to mine too, made myself my own little door. Oh well, its 100x easier, and if GM was smart they would have produced the car with an access like this like the foreign car companies do, but then again im sure it was in the plan to make you go thru the dealership to get it done and pay an arm and a leg just like everything else.

99\' W68 Firebird<br />SLP Ram air kit,Whisper Air Lid, k&n, 8mm Taylor Wires, Bridgestone Potenzas RE950, BMR Red LCAs, Pacesetter Headers and 3\"in catalytic converter with 2.75\" Flowmaster Cat-back<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/501008</a>

Comment

why not dis-assemble the bucket and just replace the pump itself? thats what i'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
          i don't see why people do it that way. it's not to do it right. just takes some time. i mean come on i'm a girl and i did it the right way lol
          The access door should have been there to start with.... drop the tank to get to the fuel pump ??? C'mon... that's simply bs..... if you google this pump (AC delco PU167) you'll find that several seller refer to a retail price of $995 or so.... well IMO...if a dealer charges $1000 for the pum then $800 for labor doesn't sound all that bad anymore huh ???

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
            why not dis-assemble the bucket and just replace the pump itself? thats what i'd do.
            I just found the "repair kit" on ebay.... unfortunately it wasn't offered at the time I bought this pump assembly..

I thought about disassembling the bucket but it seems to be glued together... ???

Comment

Originally posted by 99W68Firebird
              if GM was smart they would have produced the car with an access like this like the foreign car companies do, but then again im sure it was in the plan to make you go thru the dealership to get it done and pay an arm and a leg just like everything else.
              Who knows if they actually cut an access panel, replace the pump and then charge for dropping the tank......

Comment

Originally posted by ploppel
                I just found the "repair kit" on ebay.... unfortunately it wasn't offered at the time I bought this pump assembly..

I thought about disassembling the bucket but it seems to be glued together... ???
                it is glued together, its just a matter of breaking that seal.

Comment

I took mine apart and put in a $99 255lph walbro. You can break the seal and reglue the housing. I chose to ditch it for fitment reasons, but if you have it, might as well use it.
                  1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                  1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I've read many posts on several online forums about ditching the plastic bucket... as cheap as GM is there wouldn't be a plastic bucket if it wasn't required....

Many say it ensures that the pump is always submerged in fluid to cool it.... this might be one reason, I believe that another if not the main reason is to ensure that the pump is NEVER in a vapor environment where a spark could ignite the fuel/air mix.... if for whatever reason there's a spark at the pump and it's submerged in gasoline there is no oxygen supporting the ignition....

Comment

Originally posted by ploppel
                      I've read many posts on several online forums about ditching the plastic bucket... as cheap as GM is there wouldn't be a plastic bucket if it wasn't required....

Many say it ensures that the pump is always submerged in fluid to cool it.... this might be one reason, I believe that another if not the main reason is to ensure that the pump is NEVER in a vapor environment where a spark could ignite the fuel/air mix.... if for whatever reason there's a spark at the pump and it's submerged in gasoline there is no oxygen supporting the ignition....
                      I think it is for cooling, partially, but noise mostly. I didn't care at the time and left it off.

If you run it out of gas, you run it out of gas, thats what kills them as far as heat is concerned, wasn't worried about that at all.

I don't think the vapor/submerged thing is a factor.
                      1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                      1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

I've been hearing the pump whine sometimes, so I know I need to get is replaced.

Here are some pictures. I used a Dremel with a metal cutting wheel. It took two wheels to cut the whole door.

I scored (but did not cut through) along the "hinge" section. The job is not done. I still have to get the fuel pump replaced. After everthing is done, I'm going to put a screw down piece of metal over the door and seal it with silicone.

The big difference from 98s and earlier, as others have noted, is the 99+ access area is more rearward. Also, the critical area during cutting is the driver's side of the rectangle where the line marked, "FUEL FLAMMABLE" is located. All other areas leave you 1/2 inch clearance, but at that point, the fuel line is less than 1/4 inch (say about 1/8") from the sheet metal that you are cutting through.

I found the Dremel was very easy, but created lots of sparks. I just pushed up the carpet to create a barrier from the rest of the car and had absolutely no mess.

The top of the fuel tank had lots of gray south Florida sand/dirt. You can see how I wiped it up some. The pump assembly appears to have done away with the screws in the 98 and earlier models.

I've just got it duct taped shut for now until I get the pump replaced. I''ll also paint the bare metal edges with Rustoleum.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but is there any other pump that can be used other than the racetronics kit.

I wish I would have been told about this place prior to dropping the tank, but I have the pump out now, and wondering where I can get just the pump replacement today. Its my DD and I can't really wait for a pump to show up in the mail.

Comment

You don't have a new pump and you dropped the tank and took out the old expecting to have one the same day? Hmm planning is important.

You're only a few months behind on this thread.

And to answer your question.. Call around. I personally have no idea but if I wanted to find out, I'd call the obvious automotive stores.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                              You don't have a new pump and you dropped the tank and took out the old expecting to have one the same day? Hmm planning is important.

You're only a few months behind on this thread.

And to answer your question.. Call around. I personally have no idea but if I wanted to find out, I'd call the obvious automotive stores.

Well since I have, Advance Auto, O'riely's, AutoZone, Rebcam, and about several other retailers locally it typically isn't a problem. Plus I would rather have the tank out waiting for the pump than sitting on my bum waiting for the pump to show up to even start.... Also I didn't Plan on having the pump go out on me while I was driving down the road.... I will update my calender though for random belt replacements, bad alternators, and my battery going out from now on out though....... :banana:

Obvious Auto stores only carry the assembly, they were called before I even posted.

I however did end up replacing the pump with a the Granatelli Motorsports LS1 255lph pump kit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X