Well, the DIY P&P project started.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, the DIY P&P project started.

Got my spare heads in the mail today. Took them to the carwash and gave them a good wash to get rid of as much grease as possible.

Started testing out the feel of the dremmel before investing into a die grinder. So far the dremmel is something I am content working with to be honest. My only concern is even with the flexshaft extension there really isn't a long neck. Started working on one of the exhaust ports cleaning up the casting lines and just overall smoothing out the airpath using an 80grit drum.

I really can see where some tapered rolls would be needed. I am not trying to do a real port job, I really don't want to change the shape much at all, just smooth it all out. There really are alot of flaws just in this one port so far.

Going off the Standard Abrasives page they recommend blending in the valve guide bosses into the port. I did so very modestly and then called it a night, this is what I have so far. I manage to screw anything up yet???

Re: Well, the DIY P&P project started.

Looking good.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

looking good so far. :)

I remember those heads, good to see they are going to a good use
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Idk a lot about P&P but it's looks pretty clean so far :tup:

Comment

I was actually thinking about you were doing but now I have no money. I am also looking for a spare set just so I can experiment with them. It should be a good experience.

Comment

Yeah, I'm just having more fun playing around and using it as a learning experience. Power gains would be awesome, don't get me wrong. :) This will probably be a long term project. I don't plan on installing them until I can afford to drop in a cam, upgrade all the springs/hardware and a set of headers.

So I'm going to take my time, play around. Probably order an abrasive kit and maybe pick up a die grinder in a week or so.

Comment

shoulda pre and post dyno'd, ah well

make sure you are wrapping the heads in plastic everynight so they dont rust.

Comment

Have the first exhaust port done. Although I think I will go back and blend in the valve guide boss more. I wanted to get an opinion on if I should or not. Figure it's best to admit I don't know and ask.

Comment

First, I do apologize for all the pictures. I know there are seven pictures of the same thing. I just want to get all the input I can from all the angles I can. I want to get this port right, because the other five exhaust ports will be based off this one.

Comment

here's a good look at some pro ports. yours look good btw.

the valve seat and bowl are the most important areas...port matching and valve guide offer nearly no gains. polishing vs a sanded surface isn't critical either.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the pics. :) Helps.

Managed to get the stuck studs out of the head I'm working on now today. Figure after a bit more cleaning I could lay down some paint on the exterior so I won't worry about rust. Is 500 degree enamel enough or will that burn up pretty quick?

Comment

coolant only reaches 200F. just prep the head well. follow the directions on the can:)

honestly, the only important numbers are after porting. before #s don't matter, because they're not what you're working with. aim for 220 cfm intake, and 180 cfm exhaust @ .550". use stock sized valves, or 1.84" intake at most.

i'll have to meet the man who designed the ports...i actually LOST intake flow from unshrouding the intake valve! he really didn't give us a lot to work with. going with valves larger than 1.84" is pointless. series III heads come stock with 1.83" valves, and will max out the same as series II:( i've had gn guys laugh at me for having the same numbers as well ported 3.8 heads.:rant:!

Comment

Had to fly cross-country for a family matter, just got back in. Spent about another hour playing around out in the garage. Ended up with the other two exhaust ports on this head roughed out with a grinding stone, just need to go over them again with some sandpaper drums. Also cleaned up the heads a bit more in general, got a bit sick of always getting greasy when working with them. Then I tried my hand at the chamber work. It is extremely smooth to the touch, but you can still see swirls/marks. Not sure if I really care enough to go over it by hand to make it perfect.
                          Last edited by Taheen; 01-18-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crysmatic
                            coolant only reaches 200F. just prep the head well. follow the directions on the can:)

Just because the coolant doesn't get that hot doesn't mean the rest of the engine isn't hot as hell. Especially the exhaust which is hotter than 200F and flows through the head.

Taheen, the heads are looking nice. I just got a set the other day, to toy around with.
                            '99 Mountaineer AWD 5.0 - 4300K HID, Some Bolt-ons
                            '97 RS - HPTuner, Bolt-ons
                            '09 WRX - Aesthetic mods

Comment

It's going to get pretty cold out, the project is going to move forward but quite slowly, I will next update with pics when I get the one head fully done.

I did however get a shiney new camera today. Certainly better than before, hell.. this image is reduced 25%.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X