starting the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting the car

Hi everyone I'm fairly new here and I don't really know much about cars so I hope you guys can help me out.

I have a 1998 Camaro 3.8liter V6.

In the mornings it takes almost 5 tries to start it and when it does starts the RPM runs up and down on its own and sometimes turns the car off and sometimes it stops.

I can start the car easier by pushing the gas as I start it up but I have heard it floods the engine so I have resulted to simply turning the key and being patient.

Even after being turned off for just 30 minutes or so it will take 2-3 tries to start her up.

So my question is why is it doing this? is it damaging my engine? and how do i stop it?

Thanks all.
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Re: starting the car

I'm gonna say you're not getting enough power to the spark plugs. Maybe a new battery or alternator or even just better ground connections to the chassis/engine block.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

so it has nothing to do with the starter itself? thats what many mechanics recommended doing to replace the starter.
      1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
      1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

When the starter goes... you'll have no crank at all.
        Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Yeah if the engine is actually cranking, the starter is fine. The starter only spins the crank at the fly wheel just to get it moving. Your mechanics are trying to rip you off cause they can tell you know little. Heh, you've come to the right place.

Welcome btw.

Hey try this.. turn your key to the on position for a minute before you crank it. Letting the fuel pump prime up real good.. just see what that does.
          Last edited by Blizzard242; 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Welcome...

#1 - It is not the starter.

#2 - You can press the gas pedal a little if that helps. It will not flood your engine, as our cars have fuel injection, not a carburetor.

I like Blizzards idea. Give the fuel pump a few extra seconds and see if that helps.

Also, when my IAC (Idle Air Control) valve was going bad my car was hard to start and idled poorly. I can't say for sure that you have the same problem, but keep it in mind.

Comment

sounds like leaky injectors which are flooding your engine

when you floor the car, it opens the TB up which lets more air into the engine which in turn lets you start the car

this ALSO works on carbed engines as the engine only pulls the fuel it needs from the carb, the engine cranking will not add extra fuel into it because of the low rpm of the starter compared to the car actually running

plus, carbs need vacuum to work, the car isnt going to have sufficient vacuum to be working on the main circuit, which is controlled by the jets (or the accelerator/power valve circuits for that matter)

Comment

Okay. I will try that idea blizzard thanks.

So stepping on the gas a little while starting the engine is absolutely okay? It will do no harm to the car?

Thanks all for the information. Appreciate it.
                Last edited by truekoa; 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM.
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                  Okay. I will try that idea blizzard thanks.

So stepping on the gas a little while starting the engine is absolutely okay? It will do no harm to the car?

Thanks all for the information. Appreciate it.
                  It won't harm the engine. If you let the key sit in the on position for a few seconds and then it starts right up (this happens on the crown vic) then you need to replace the fuel pump soon or let it prime up before you start each time.

Have you tuned your car? Try seafoaming the whole works (search and you'll find a write up) and perhaps you may want to get new spark plugs.
                  Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird View Post
                    It won't harm the engine. If you let the key sit in the on position for a few seconds and then it starts right up (this happens on the crown vic) then you need to replace the fuel pump soon or let it prime up before you start each time.

Have you tuned your car? Try seafoaming the whole works (search and you'll find a write up) and perhaps you may want to get new spark plugs.
                    just a note, but DO NOT put seafoam in your engine if it has more than 30k miles on it and had never had an in-oil cleaner before

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                      So stepping on the gas a little while starting the engine is absolutely okay?

It is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by josh98bird View Post
                        When the starter goes... you'll have no crank at all.
                        what he said! well put. and you sould check your plugs. could also be fuel related. i had a similar problem where it would take a bit to start when cold. it was my fuel pressure regulator. changed it out and now fires up quick and easy every time
                        Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

Not sure what seafoam is? (gonna google later)

The sparkplugs and fuel injectors are all new. Maybe just a 2 months old.

Thanks.
                          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28

Comment

So did ya try just putting it in the on position for a minute before cranking it?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

my car starts up fine right after i get gas. but thats the only time usually.

i guess it is a fuel problem

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                3 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X