[Guide] 3.4L Manual Fan Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Guide] 3.4L Manual Fan Switch

[Edit]Do what tkoforpresident says below this post, its a much easier way, lol....

Or follow these links:
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...3.4+fan+switch
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...3.4+fan+switch

[...]

[Update]
    Removed my guide, do to easier methods...
    Last edited by Chipmunk; 08-15-2008, 01:28 AM. Reason: Telling others to look at post below mine, easier method.

Re: [Guide] 3.4L Manual Fan Switch

sorry to **** in your cherios mate, but there is an easier way for the 3.4 guys to go about this.

1. mount switch.

2. run 2 wires from the switch (ground one of them anywhere there is a good ground) and tap the other wire into the green wire labelled "J" on the passenger side wire harness coming from the ECM.

btw, you can run the wires easily through the grommet behind the ECM, so you do NOT have to drill a hole. oh and the way i have just described your fan will turn off when your car does, so it's ok if you forget.

good advice mate, but imo it's even easier than what you describe.

and the 3.8 does have a low fan and a high fan, the 3.4 just has one.

Max

Comment

Hmm... That is easier, lol.
      The green wire you described is probably the same running into the relay, correct?

If this is true, then I can just tap my "power" wire into the green and run the other wire as ground. This way I don't have to rerun wires. Although, the wire is long enough to go to the otherside. In fact, probably a little to long after going through the grommet. So it doesn't matter if it is or not, although I can't figure out for the life of me why its not. So disregard this paragraph, lol.

Not sure why I didn't think about that. I knew there had to be a wire coming from the ECM so the fan knew when to kick on. I was rushed for time and guess I didn't think about it totally through to figure out which wire.
      Is this posted elsewhere here or on the net? I searched high and low and couldn't find anything. Only thing I was able to find was all the ones for the dual fan.

Also, what would be the best way to run an LED Indicator?
      Just run it parallel to the fan on the switch?

And on a lighter note, is there a car running 3 fans? The fuse block "map" shows a fan #3.

Comment

lol i don't know what that 3rd fan relay is for, but for what i do know, astrovan95 had a cool write up floating around for the 3.4 that was similar to what i just told you but it would take some luck to find it.

that green wire is the power wire that goes to the rad. fan and it is HOT all the time. by installing a ground wire on the other pole you are essentially grounding that hot wire and turning the fan on. very simple.

in regards to an led switch you would have to run another wire to a power source but i don't know too much about that.

Comment

So I tried to redo the wiring today. But... It didn't work.
          However, I didn't go to the wire coming off the ECM, I figured the green wire at the fuse block maybe came from the ECM. So it may be that thats not the wire.

Also, I found out that electricity can take a chunk a skin out of your finger. Check something on how to do the LED and the LED wire bit me, haha.

For the wire coming off the ECM labeled J, is the label on the harness connect or a tab of tape wrapped around the wire? Or labeled J on the wire itself?

I didn't see any J, but also forget about that and didn't have internet where I was at. So it could be I was looking hard enough.

As well, would you know if the grommet would be up behind the panel under the dash on the passenger side? I know its around there somewhere, but don't know if I take that panel off that it will be right there or have to reach up somewhere. I guess I could of just taken it off but didn't have the time, was at work, haha.

Thanks a bunch,
          Chad
          Last edited by Chipmunk; 08-16-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmunk View Post
            So I tried to redo the wiring today. But... It didn't work.
            However, I didn't go to the wire coming off the ECM, I figured the green wire at the fuse block maybe came from the ECM. So it may be that thats not the wire.

Also, I found out that electricity can take a chunk a skin out of your finger. Check something on how to do the LED and the LED wire bit me, haha.

For the wire coming off the ECM labeled J, is the label on the harness connect or a tab of tape wrapped around the wire? Or labeled J on the wire itself?

I didn't see any J, but also forget about that and didn't have internet where I was at. So it could be I was looking hard enough.

As well, would you know if the grommet would be up behind the panel under the dash on the passenger side? I know its around there somewhere, but don't know if I take that panel off that it will be right there or have to reach up somewhere. I guess I could of just taken it off but didn't have the time, was at work, haha.

Thanks a bunch,
            Chad

yeah look at your pcm, there should be a bundle of wires connected to it via a plastic clip.

look on that plastic piece holding the wires, there should be some lettering. mine was actually worn off but if you look at the ones around it and the color you can pretty much figure out what wire it is. then you can follow it down a ways if you want and splice it there. just use a simple 2wire splicer. I ran speaker wire (2 wires stuck together) and split them off where the stock grounding point was and grounded the one at that point and tapped the other wire into the green wire labelled J.

the grommet behind the computer... i just pulled out the rubber grommet that was there cuz it will free up more room.

you will need to take apart your dash on the passengers side but its not that hard just a couple of screws drops it down. then have a buddy attach the wires to a clothes hanger and push it through the hole, it helps to shine a light down there so you know where it is, it's prettyfar back there.

but then you can pull the wires through the hole and attach them to your switch and mount it wherever u want.

oh and pretty sure the green wire goes straight to the fan and not to the fuse box.

hope this helps..

max

Comment

That should help out tons. Makes sense as to why the green wire I went to didn't work.
              I'll see about doing it tomorrow and seeing what I can do with that LED. I'm also gonna try and get it to turn on if the pcm turns the fan on. Can't hear the fan inside the car so that LED will help. Mainly if the pcm turns it on but also with the switch. Easy to tell from the switch but a light would allow a glance.

If I figure out how to get the LED wired up with the switch and the PCM, should I post here how I did it? Don't know how many would be interested.

Thanks a ton as well, saves me the headache. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chipmunk View Post
                That should help out tons. Makes sense as to why the green wire I went to didn't work.
                I'll see about doing it tomorrow and seeing what I can do with that LED. I'm also gonna try and get it to turn on if the pcm turns the fan on. Can't hear the fan inside the car so that LED will help. Mainly if the pcm turns it on but also with the switch. Easy to tell from the switch but a light would allow a glance.

If I figure out how to get the LED wired up with the switch and the PCM, should I post here how I did it? Don't know how many would be interested.

Thanks a ton as well, saves me the headache. :)

yeah if you can get it to work then by all means, let us know.

Comment

Ok, figured out how to get the LED to work. Now, giving what the LED does, I'm certain the switch shouldn't be wired up this way, but it works, so I dunno.

What I did was ground the LED in some location, giving the location of the cigarette lighter there, I grounded it there. Took the other wire on the LED and attached it to the switched side of the prongs. Now, I'm certain I could have connected one LED wire to the switch and connected the wire from the fan to the other LED wire. But the LED wires are like 22ga or something. Now I gotta remember to run an inline fuse.

It was really obvious once the idea popped into my head. I hammered my head trying to figure out how it should work. Basically running wires in my head before I even touched it. Keeping in mind how electricity travels through a system.

Now the weird part is that the LED doesn't turn off right away when turning the switch off, it actually fades off until the fan quits spinning. Which tells me that its getting feedback from the fans motor?

Now, when I finally wire the switch up the way it should be, through the green wire near the PCM, then the LED should worked being wired up the same way. If I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X