How To: Clear/Blacked-out HVAC Knobs - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To: Clear/Blacked-out HVAC Knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Clear/Blacked-out HVAC Knobs

First off, props to TomRS for showing me how to do this. He had planned on doing a write up, but never got around to it, so I decided to step up and make one. What this does it take your stock HVAC (A/C controls) knobs, removes the rubber coating, revealing a clear knob. This will not work on 93-96 Camaros

Tools:
    HVAC Knobs
    Blow-Dryer (or some other heat source)
    2 Hands

Step 1- pull the knobs out of the car! They just pull right off, no special tools needed. I found the very far left one (speed control) was the hardest to take off; I simply put a screw driver underneath and pried up.

Step 2- Heat up the knobs using the hair dryer. What you're trying to do is heat up the rubber on the knobs so you can stretch it. I put my blow dryer on it's highest setting and just kept rotating the knob. I kept it under the dryer for about 45 seconds or so. You can't go too long, so feel free to take your time, but if you don't get it hot enough it will be very tough and the rubber won't stretch.

Step 3- Once you feel the knob is heated enough, being to pull the rubber off. I started by picking at the white "indicator" line that points at your selection. After that, just keep peeling, and working your way around. It should all come off in one piece, and you'll most likely have to rip it somewhere down toward the bottom of the knob so you can unwrap it completely.

Step 4- Clean up any left over rubber. I noticed some got stuck around the indicator area; taking a hobby knife, go in and scrape it out. Reheating the knob may help.
    Last edited by RadRacer; 08-28-2008, 02:27 PM.
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: How To: Clear/Blacked-out HVAC Knobs

Step 5- Repeat 2-4 for the remaining knobs.

Step 6- Re-install in the car. They just simply push right back on; you do have to line them up. You will notice instead of being perfectly round, the shafts are more of a crescent shaped. Line up the flat sides and push them knob in; it should slide right on with little effort.

Step 7- Sit back and admire your new clear knobs! Turn on your lights and see that the whole knob lights up at night now, instead of just the little indicator.

That's it for the clear knob write-up. If the silver/clear theme doesn't go with your car, try the blacked out approach (next post)
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Comment

Tools:
      Clear knobs from above
      VHT Nightshades
      Sand paper (I used 600 grit, up to some very fine I found lying around)
      Clear Coat
      Shoe Box

Step 1- Take your shoe box and make holes in it slightly smaller then the shaft of the knobs. What we're going to do is stick the knob through the box; this way they'll be elevated off the ground, and won't roll or spin when you spray them.

Step 2- Coat the knobs with some VHT Nightshades. Take your time; I put about 3 coats on mine and they look good IMO. Light coats are always your friend; you don't want to have to restart because you got too anxious! Be sure to allow a few minute between coats to allow the paint to "tack up". Lightly sand (if needed) in between the coats to remove any excess paint (aka runs, or drips).

Step 3- Let dry; I let mine dry for about 1/2 hr before I went on with the clear coat.

Step 4- Clear coat. This will give it a shine and protection. Clear coat should be done in 2-3 light coats; if you get too close or go too heavy, it will turn a greyish color. You then have to sand it off and restart, which isn't fun! I let it sit for about 2 minutes between coats to tack up abit; for the 3rd coat I went abit heavier since it was going to be the final coat.

Step 5- Generally, people say to lightly sand again, go over with polishing compound etc etc to get the last bit of shine from them. I didn't do that; why? First, they're tiny knobs, so you won't be able to do much to them. 2nd, I was satisfied with the shine I got from the clear coat. Feel free to try if you'd like, but mine were fine the way they are.

Step 6- Re-install in the car. Refer to Step 7 of above if you're having trouble.

Now, sit back and enjoy you're blacked out clear knobs :P. Why did I black them out? Once "cleared" the knobs themselves light up, instead of just the indicator. Now, you can swap out the lights behind the knobs with what ever color you'd like and it'll shine through! So, during the day you'll have black knobs, and at night the backlights will shine through, showing what ever color you want!

Installed pictures will come tonight; I'm currently waiting on them to fully dry.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Comment

very nice job.

these work for ALL the knobs in our car?

Comment

IDK about the Headlights switch, but all the HVAC knobs, yes. I pulled the Headlight switch out, and it looks like it's white underneath, so I don't think it will work. Doesn't hurt to try though; you can snag one out of a junkyard or someone parting out a car and give it a shot.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Comment

Mind if I copy this over to the wiki at cv6wiki.com?
            97 Camaro 30th Anniversary, Flowmasters, T-Top Conversion

Comment

u cant do it on the headlight knob. I believe for some reason that knob is white. Nice writeup
              Last edited by Tom Rs; 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM.
              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
              1994 Camaro - Sold
              1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

do you have any pics of how it looks with the knobs in the car and the lights on? curious to see how it looks so i know if i want to do it...thanks

Comment

look at my cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/689018/4
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Tom Rs; 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM.
                  1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                  1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Not quite sure why you'd want to do this..... unless your rubber was all chewed up or something.... but good write up.:)
                    Red 96' A4 Firebird
                    Audio Audio and Autotek
                    Check it out here!

Comment

nice write-up :tup: kinda looks rice at night tho with the clear

Comment

Originally posted by dangerz View Post
                        Mind if I copy this over to the wiki at cv6wiki.com?
                        Not at all

Originally posted by Tom Rs View Post
                        u cant do it on the headlight knob. I believe for some reason that knob is white. Nice writeup
                        That's what I thought; I pulled it off and it was an off-white looking color and a different material than the HVAC knobs.

Originally posted by 96firebird311 View Post
                        Not quite sure why you'd want to do this..... unless your rubber was all chewed up or something.... but good write up.:)
                        If you're doing a silver/clear theme, they might go well; they look pretty good IMO at night since the whole knob lights up. I blacked mine out because I wanted the knob to light up, but clear knobs don't go with my red/black theme.
                        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                        A few things

Comment

man if it wasnt for that last paragraph i was gonna call you an idiot.
                          but not that i see those pics that looks sweet!

Comment

welcome to many years ago......

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                            05' CTS-V
                            00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

^^yea but most people thought we bought them
                              1997 Camaro LS1 RS
                              1994 Camaro - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X