Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WHITE SMOKE coming from exhaust

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
    You're going to need to define "worn out." There's about 10 different components that make up a rear axle..some of which can be replaced modularly, reletively cheaply...others, it would be more economical to just swap in (just about) any other 4th gen. rear axle
    hmm well its worn out trust me.

i know these things.

its just im not realll keene on knowing what gear ratio i need.

so getting a rear end from a z28 will give me better performance but worst gas mil.?

Comment

Originally posted by z38camaro View Post
      hmm well its worn out trust me.

i know these things.

its just im not realll keene on knowing what gear ratio i need.

so getting a rear end from a z28 will give me better performance but worst gas mil.?
      it depends on what rear you take

IIRC the 6 speeds have a 3.42 gear ratio

Comment

Its all in how you drive, I have had 3.23, 3.42 and now 3.73's. I love the 3.73's you only have to go like 1/4 throttle and your off. The only reason I have bad gas mileage is because I don't do 1/4th throttle only when crusing.LOL I almost floor it at evey open red light if I'm in front. If I drove normal my gas mileage wouldn't be to far off than if I had 3.23's. This is also because I have Hptuners and a wideband so I can dial in my A/F to what i want and adjust it for weather change so it is not running rich or lean at times. If you want some kick and can have your pcm flashed 3.73's is a great gear, it depends want gear you have now as far as tunning , I think dealers can flash pcms up to a 3.42 gear which is a good gear too.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

hmmm well with 373s would i be at like 25oo rpms at 70> or lower?

what do you average at 70?? in terms of rpm's.

and if you didnt floor it all the time.

would you get like mid 20s or low 20s or in the teens.

my car had about 260 hp.

its bored and has a custom molded intake.

thats about it

Comment

Which car had 260 hp, 3.8 Camaro? I would have to look at a gear calulator to be right on, but I think at around 80mph I'm at 2800 rpms. 70 mph I'm like 2300 or something like that , mines a A4 so it has a .70 gear overdrive.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

hmmm well thats weird.

my car is in those exact rpms when im cruising at 70 and 80 so yeah?

idk

then that means my cars stock rear end must have been 373s?

MAYBE THEY bought it with the performance package?

anyways regardless.

I KNOW ITS wore the "F*CK" out and i neeed to get a new one pronto. im traveling 700 miles next week. and i cant do that with a diff thats about to crap out.

so in your case.

WHAT differential would you put in your car IF yours went out.

take into account that i strreet race but i also drive like a normal person.

so gas mil. is somewhat valuable to me. but i also like to whip *** when that car going into overdrrive.

so what should i get?

300s
              320s
              340s
              or the 370s

like right now my 1st goes to 40, 2nd goes to 80, 3rd goes to 105, and 4th goes the rest. what gear ratio is that about?
              Last edited by z38camaro; 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

im still baffled on how you know it is bad/its going to crap out

Comment

If 3rd goes to 105 , there not 3.73's my 3rd is 120. Like cam98aro said how do you know it is bad? What are the problems with it? Also how do you know it has 260 hp?

Comment

i know its 260 because its been dynoed.

and its worn bceause i took the pumpkin plate off and the gears have so mujch play its rediculous. trust me i know i need a knew one.

so if my 3rd goes to 105 then it must be around 323s right?

god Da*n cant i just get a good answer as to WHAT diff i should put in my car? i dont want alot of top speed i only want my car to gear out at about 140.

Comment

lose the attitude. he gave you the information to make your own big boy decision. hes had em all
                      80mph I'm at 2800 rpms. 70 mph I'm like 2300 or something like that , mines a A4 so it has a .70 gear overdrive.
                      Its all in how you drive, I have had 3.23, 3.42 and now 3.73's. I love the 3.73's you only have to go like 1/4 throttle and your off. The only reason I have bad gas mileage is because I don't do 1/4th throttle only when crusing.LOL I almost floor it at evey open red light if I'm in front. If I drove normal my gas mileage wouldn't be to far off than if I had 3.23's. This is also because I have Hptuners and a wideband so I can dial in my A/F to what i want and adjust it for weather change so it is not running rich or lean at times. If you want some kick and can have your pcm flashed 3.73's is a great gear, it depends want gear you have now as far as tunning , I think dealers can flash pcms up to a 3.42 gear which is a good gear too.
                      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I just want to know what mods you have putting down 260Wrhp(some people do what companies say they will get like K&N 20HP, headers 25HP, exhaust 30HP ,turbonator 20HP + car rating 200 HP =295HP) which is not real world horsepower stock 200 HP F-bodys dyno like 165-175 range, so it would take alot of mods for 260 HP at the wheels N/A unless nitrous or FI is being used. It is the opposite if your 3rd is 105 you might have 4.10's or 4.56's in it, 3.23's would be like 140 MPH with 3.42's it is about 135 MPH. The higher the gear the lower top end speed in each gear. Also is it a M5 or A4?

Comment

Its bored 60 over, highperformance pistons and heads. lunati street cam. custom cold air intake. light weight power steering pump-waterpump. ac TOTAL delete. i have a 60 inch belt vs the 90 something incher. I have the tranny built to handle 750 horsepower.

i have about 300 pounds in weight reduction.

ps. the 4l60e is actually built to mimic the heavy duty truck series.

the camaros 4l60e were NEVER strong enough to begin with.

so even with a regular build up they still went out in some cases.

taking parts from a very very low mileage 2500 gas pickup and along with putting corvette survs.

the power from the engine is almost DIRECTLY put to the wheels.

there is really no power loss.

by the way i think im gonna go ahead and put like 342s in

btw i meant.

that 1st ENDS at 40 (this is flooring it)
                          2nd ends at 80 (flooring it)
                          3rd ENDS at 105 (flooring it)
                          4th STARTS at 105 and goes to however long. (idk) i havent gone that fast (140+)
                          Last edited by z38camaro; 03-31-2009, 11:47 AM.

Comment

the power from the engine is almost DIRECTLY put to the wheels.

there is really no power loss.
                            oh boy, here it comes, just a warning but you are gonna get **** on for saying that :o

Comment

haha? just a warning to me?

what? (laughs)

i spend 3 years testing that theory.

ive put 3 different 4l60e's in my car.

i would know.

please/this is not up for discussion.

i dont wanna waste my time explaining.

NO POWER LOSS is a relative term you idi*t.

OF COURSE your going to LOSE some power. THROUGH ANY tranny.

but with this set up.

power loss in MIN compared to other setups.

ive been in the car industry for 10 some odd years and my family has been in the gm dealer business for over 40.

Comment

ps. the 4l60e is actually built to mimic the heavy duty truck series.

the camaros 4l60e were NEVER strong enough to begin with.
                                I thought the camaro 4l60e was the same transmission as a corvette? How could it NOT be strong enough? ESP. for 260HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X