Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal?

Its a 2000 v6 camaro, basically i bought it and threw in a 160 degree t-stat and it made zero difference.

car isnt overheating but still sits right where it did with the factory t-stat (just below the middle hash mark, or between the 2 and the 1 on the 210 middle hashmark.)

is this normal?? have you guys installed a 160 on yours? if so what does it run at???

Re: Installed a 160 thermostat on my v6.... runs no cooler.. help? or normal?

Normal. Absolutely positively completely normal. Putting in a lower thermostat will NOT make you car run cooler when it is NOT moving. The temperature should drop down to around 160 when you are moving along at a steady pace for a time. When stopped at a stoplight, it will go up to 210. Why? Keep reading (or run a search and find the very long post where I and beat this topic to death with a gerbil).

There are two completely separate systems that control the temperature on the car. The mechanical thermostat is only one of them. The other system is the fan control system. The fans on the car are set to turn on at 210 degrees F. You must reprogram the computer to turn the fans on sooner or install an aftermarket electric thermostat for the fans OR install a fan switch.

Comment

^ What he said , until you redo the fans it will reach the temp it did before, mine did with a drilled 160 thermo, after reprograming them with Hptuners it cut it down like 30 degrees so far.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The thermostat only controls the MINIMUM temperature, because it opens at 160 and will remain open at anything above 160. So you'll need the fans running to keep the coolant as close to 160 as possible.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

these guys nailed it on the head, you have to tune or put in a manual switch. i'm waiting until after my full exhaust to tune so until then i have in a manual switch and it works great.
          pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
          gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

you guys do realize that the temp gauge in 99+ F-bodies is just a dummy gauge, right? It can only read "REALLY COLD" "SOMEWHAT NORMAL" and "DANGEROUSLY HOT"

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
              you guys do realize that the temp gauge in 99+ F-bodies is just a dummy gauge, right? It can only read "REALLY COLD" "SOMEWHAT NORMAL" and "DANGEROUSLY HOT"
              i thought 97-02 gauge faces are the same?

mine goes from 160F - 260F.. but i also have a 98

Comment

One thing I know for sure is that the coolant has to go through the system at a certain flow rate in order to cool. Sounds like if just the 160 is in there, after it's open, all the coolant is doing is running through an overheating engine. It's not slowing enough to transfer that heat into the radiator to dissipate it (thus, why it's a bad idea to run without a T-stat at all). Definitely tune the PCM to account for the lower temp T-stat. Maybe also consider a fan on/off switch also.
                Last edited by steddy; 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther View Post
                  explain this a little further? why would 99+ guys have a less accurate gauge then us 99 and below guys?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

In my 96' my gauge is pretty accurate with the Aeroforce scan gauge showing what the coolant is. I don't know about 99' and up. Right now with only 90 degree temps my coolant is only arond 175 degrees, which is good. I hope it stays around there with 115 degree temps.
                    Last edited by ssms5411; 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM.
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Oh, yeah, I know that gauge is next to worthless. I think they do that because people panic when they see a fluctuating gauge. But you'd think that on a car like ours, that is more of an enthusiast's car, that GM would have the gauge actually be accurate. I think the gauge is controlled by the PCM, isn't it? If not, someday I'd like to hook it up directly to a sensor so I can see the actual temp.
                      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Steddy, the 160 thermo is going to flow the same amount of coolant as other thermos. Only thing is that it opens at a lower temp. The coolant will only get as hot as the PCM allows, because it will kick on the fans to hold the temp at whatever value is programmed in.

Comment

^ Mines accurate, do you have a 99' and up. The sensor goes through the PCM I think from the ECT gauge, but the needle on the gauge cluster might be loose and then it catches up like a clock hand or something.

Comment

Well, they're kind of accurate in that, assuming the temp is around 195, mine sits a little below the 210 mark. It just doesn't move much. I just recall that my last car had a temp gauge I rigged up my self, and you could see it rise and fall as the fan kicked on, or when I would take off after sitting in traffic. I liked it that way a lot better.

Comment

I'm glad I got the Aeroforce gauge, pretty much can watch all the sensors while driving and not have a laptop in the car, it will also show DTC's and will clear them also. It is like having 10 gauges or more in the car. I have my A/F and will have my EGT's displaying off of it. I woud say def. worth the money.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X