How necessary is traction control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How necessary is traction control?

My question is exactly the same as my topic. I live in Chicago, and we get some real winters here, including ice and snow. I'm looking at a Camaro that does NOT have the optional traction control system, and I want to know how much it would actually help anyway. Please note that I'll be using snow tires between November and March.

Edit: The car is a 5-speed.

[ May 04, 2004, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: wannabe ]

I've been through many winters here in Ohio without traction control. I don't think it's necessary at all. If you are a good driver and know your cars limits then you shouldn't ever need it.
    2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I've had my car for 5yrs I've NEVER used traction control. It's absolutely useless.

Comment

If it's an automatic and does not have traction control then it probably has a Second Gear Start switch. That is your traction control. I have never used it, but I have never dirven in a hardcore snow storm with my Camaro either.
        1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

I use the 2nd gear start feature in the bad weather here in pittsburgh, and I love it. Cuts power back to where you can get traction from a start. the traction control is a later feature, and I cant vouch for it. I would suggest the second gear start if its going to be your daily driver in the snow.
          \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

the traction control turns on automatically when you start the car. I usually turn it off unless I forget. One day in the rain, I decided to leave it on and noticed that my car didn't drift side to side while on the highway as much as it usually did. I see a difference with it, or maybe I just need a new alignment...
            SOLD - 1999 Black Firebird<br />A4, T-tops, 3.42 gears, Y87 Package<br />[Appearance mods] Chrome side vents, Pontiac metallic silver rear inlay<br />[Performance mods] TSP Rumbler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/eminemz115\" target=\"_blank\">PICS</a>

Comment

But will I regret getting a car that doesn't have the feature? Since it's a manual, I can just start in second or third gear myself in the snow.

Comment

do not drive with second gear start on constantly! one of my buddies with a 97RS thought that it was his traction control and it ruined his second gear start and somehow overheated(???) his car. but he had to get some stuff replaced. So just turn it on before ya start up, then turn it off once ya get going.
                2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

There's no simple answer. The following pairs of things make a difference in snow, and the better choice is first.

4WD, FWD
                  FWD, RWD
                  open differential, limited slip
                  real snow tires, all season tires
                  traction control, no traction control

Last year I got caught in a freak Spring snowstorm. At one point I very nearly got stuck. I think traction control saved me there. But I was on all season tires. Had I had real snows they probably would have saved me as well. Had we been driving my wifes FWD car with real snows I wouldn't have almost gotten stuck. Had I been in an f-body with all seasons and no TC or limited slip I would definitely have been stuck - late at night, no cell phone, and probably all the tow truck guys real busy.

TC will make a difference but no one can tell you how to decide if it's a must have thing. In any event, in Chicago I'd have an extra set of wheels with four real snows (it's nice to have a prayer of turning and/or stopping) for the winter.

[ May 05, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: V6Bob ]
                  2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

I drove all last year in MI with traction control on. I can't say that it saved me from wrecking or anything, but it sure helped when taking off from the following,
                    icy intersections
                    slippery hills
                    it helped me a couple times getting on the highway (when I got into upper rpms it started to break loose without me realizing it and the tc stopped it)
                    When I got stuck in my driveway it helped also.

in conclusion from someone driving in nasty winters with tc on and off:
                    is it neccessary? no
                    is it helpful? yes
                    millionformarriage.org

Why stop people from getting married?

Comment

I wish I had one or either of the stated above....

-Justin
                      <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

I do fine and better then most cars in the snow with my 5 speed but i also have a limited slip differential which saves me a lot. traction control is useless if you have a stick you should be able to know and feel how the car is reacting and from there provide the correct input.
                        2000 Y87 Bird M5 with mods<p><a href=\"http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/</a>

Comment

if its a 5-speed, buy yourself a set of nice 17's and stick the stock 16's in the garage w/ a good set of snow tires for winter and forget about it.
                          \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Did everyone forget about the Winter Beater?
                            1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                            Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroRob97:
                              Did everyone forget about the Winter Beater?
                              2 cars? I think most folks on this board can barely afford one!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X